Transition

Started by Blizzard, August 04, 2011, 11:42:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Does anybody have an idea how transitions are done? o.o; My guess would be simple multi pass multitexturing using the transition files as alpha maps. How does he vague parameter control the transitioning?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

And here I was thinking Blizzard knew it all. :V

I was always curious myself.

Blizzard

August 04, 2011, 12:51:49 pm #2 Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:43:30 pm by Blizzard
After a bit of research it seems that Enterbrain was pretty lazy on that, too. DirectX seems to support some exotic blending modes with the alpha channel of the second texture and min/max caps for that alpha. Basically they shift the min/max values where the vague parameter seems to be the difference between min and max. That's good because we can be lazy as well (especially since we don't have to implement that kind of blending manually).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb172508(v=vs.85).aspx
The blending mode they used should be one of the ones in the second half (the alpha ones). I'll try experimenting with it and see who things turn out.

EDIT: Or not. ._. I have to look further into this.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

nathmatt

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Blizzard

Those are just manual implementations of some fading sequences, this doesn't really help. I am looking for a crossfade effect where an image is used as progressive alpha channel transition control for the destination image. I mean, I can implement it myself, that's not an issue. But that would be horribly slow and unnecessary. RMXP most probably does it through some simple multitexture effect or alpha cap and I'll figure out something with DirectX to copy that effect.