Xandos Alternate Character Template (XACT)

Started by XandosUnlimited, August 25, 2011, 10:18:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

XandosUnlimited

August 25, 2011, 10:18:14 pm Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:15:07 pm by XandosUnlimited
Hey! So i'm going to make an alternate template for you people after all, just not in the mood to mess around with those in game icons in the end.

Anyway i believe that a simple character template is perfect for this new maker, it has to be easy to work with for everyone, especially for the beginner, otherwise they will only expect you to do all the work for them.
The rtp list is good but better to use it to create separate parts that you can add to the template yourself, this will also encourage more people to create different "franken" sprites right off the bat as well as recolor any piece more easily, and not everyone will use the same characters as often.. for the most part.

I'm also thinking of a more top down angle, this will set the maker, or graphics apart to the rest.

So the template is small enough for anyone to play with and big enough to fit comfortably within XP size regulations.
I expect to work on this alone for a while (and when i have the time), feel free to give me some feedback on this poke style angle.

Poke look abandoned for now ;), still saved up.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/DraculaStrikes/spritework/tem-prev.png

Ryex

August 25, 2011, 10:42:55 pm #1 Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:19:13 pm by Ryex
to be honest... I hate it. sorry man, but IMHO the idea of a Pokemon style sprites is awful.

don't get me wrong, it's great work and you obviously have talent, but this is not the style we want.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

XandosUnlimited

No problem, I can work on something else, though i think this size is perfect, fits the 32x32 tile size just right.
Let me see if i can fit anything else in that square, or make some adjustments to this template.

So you don't like the angle of the sprite, or is it the wide look? Or both?

Ryex

why are you trying to fit a character into 32x32 at all? did you look at our existing sprite template? its 32x64. the engine will be able to support any style or size of character but our current style is the one used in RMXP.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

XandosUnlimited

August 25, 2011, 11:31:04 pm #4 Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:26:52 pm by XandosUnlimited
I'm looking to create a simplistic small template that will be easy to work with, i know i can create bigger sizes, i can create some kaizer like template but i think small (that fits) is the best way to go.
More or less fits into the 32x32 anyway, i'm not trying to keep it 100% within that size.

XandosUnlimited

August 27, 2011, 09:13:00 pm #5 Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:14:17 pm by XandosUnlimited
I've yet to test this out by adding clothing and such, but here's a -wip- of the template i'm currently working on (top of page), it is somewhat bigger than the official template.

Ryex

oh very interesting. I... kinda like it. but not for a default RTP. the Tilesets for a game using this kind of sprite would need to have a very specific style that was consistent or it would clash.

XandosUnlimited

I have not seen the tilesets yet, must have missed them.
As the characters are almost the same height all i would need to do is make a palette change to my own character template.

But yeah my style might just be too different..
I suppose there's not really any point in me spriting here as most of my work wont really play nice with the original material.

I will still be lurking around of coarse, because i look forward to the maker ^^