wxForms is a bitch.

Started by ForeverZer0, September 08, 2011, 05:59:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

September 08, 2011, 05:59:10 pm Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:46:38 pm by ForeverZer0
Seriously. I don't understand what the hell is going wrong with it.  I got the hang of the sizers so that things expand/contract as they should, but it I am having a problem with the "minimum size" of the panels.  Everything will look good in the editor, but once you start a test run, it initializes all big, and will not let you resize the window to any smaller.  I even went through and set every last object's minimum size to "1, 1", and it still did not work.

The reason I ask is this:  How important is the ability to have the editor panels resizable?  I understand that certain specific panels like the script editor and what not will be nice to have the function, but for the main database panels like Actors, Classes, Items, etc., what is the real benefit?  To be quite honest I have already made a few, and in my personal opinion I am unhappy with them.  

My proposal is that we make the main panels in the editor static frames.  Thoughts?

EDIT:
If we go static, I will have all the panels done within the next day (not all the actual function, obviously).  

EDIT:
:facepalm:
I started making a "static" panel, then realized my approach has been wrong.  I've been making panels, and not frames.  In my attempt to make it static, I just made a dynamically sizable one that behaves perfectly, all on accident.  I'll just continue to follow this style.  

Ah, the wonders of learning as you go... 
I still hope to get some serious work done on the editor now.  I'm not starting another project until this is done, I'm sick of my own procrastination.  I apologize for my lack of contribution lately.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

September 08, 2011, 07:13:07 pm #1 Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:51:55 pm by Ryex
... I feel your pain F0. I'v been there.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

I'm actually having fun making the panels now.  One of the main reasons I've been avoiding this task is frustration with wxForms.  I just had a little moment of clarity with understanding how it works, and its smooth sailing now.  I'll do a couple panels tonight and upload to SVN.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I've never worked with any wxSOMETHING, but I've hears scary stories. Naturally I am glad that I can just do the low level C++ part. <3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.