Users online displayed in the Chat button

Started by Ryex, September 09, 2011, 09:19:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I had an Idea today if we had a php script that could pull the number of users in the IRC channel would you be willing to use it to display the number of users online in the IRC in the chat button?

I had it working like this in my mind. when the number of users online is requested it checks either a file or the sql database and looks at a time stamp, if that time stamp is older than say 5 minutes it connects to the IRC server and finds the number of users in the channel and saves the information along with the current time in that file or data base.

if the time stamp is within the refresh time it simply returns that number instead of connecting to the server this would keep the bandwidth down and still let us see if there were people in IRC without connecting. it might get more people to come into IRC if they knew there was already people there.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Spaceman McConaughey

Blizzard

Interesting. I'll see what I can do. But don't expect it soon.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.