RMXP to ARC project converter

Started by Ryex, October 15, 2011, 03:40:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I wrote it up in wxruby to give it a gui interface and compiled it with orca. it's in the ProjectConverter folder I just committed to the SVN the orca compiled exe is in the bin sub folder. go a head and give it a try. try to break it too. It should handle any errors with out crashing.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

October 15, 2011, 11:18:14 am #1 Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:39:35 am by ForeverZer0
Oh goodie, this will make testing out the panels much easier, too. :)
I'll let you know if I find any problems.

EDIT:
One idea, although unnecessary, is copying the resource files from the RMXP project to their appropriate ARC locations in the created project. The end user could do this themselves manually, but it would be a little extra time-saver for them, and avoid the "oh no, where do I put my ME files!" factor.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I don't think it's unnecessary. Actually I'm surprised why Ryex didn't implement that already. o.o;
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

October 15, 2011, 02:09:46 pm #3 Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:55:30 pm by Ryex
FFFFFFFFF I've been trying to put the conversion process in a background thread so that the log ect will update in time but every-time I do the dam thing segfaults at some point. and yes I'm updating the log in a thread safe manner.

I'm going to just go back and put it back to a linear process and just tell them that the thing is running so they don't mess with the program I'll also add resource copying

EDIT: I HATE wxruby. I knew I hated it but I had forgotten just how much. it a freaking next of bugs and random segfaults when you add other threads

in any case I've updated the Converter, it now display a dialog when it is done, and caches all errors. it also now copies the graphics and Audio folders over. if it caches an error it knows and tells the user that there was an error during the conversion and directs them to the log.

I've prevented the buttons from doing anything after the conversion has started until a reset method if called if they want to convert another project so this thing should be impossible to break. but "the world will come up with a stupider user" and all that so... ya.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if you already did this or not. You should export all scripts into separate files in the format that I have explained earlier. You can basically look up how the files are named in the Data/Scripts folder. Also, make sure you don't use any characters for the filenames that are forbidden. You can check which characters are forbidden by trying to rename a file and trying to put one of them (e.g. ":") and Windows Explorer will tell you the characters that you can't use. Just do a gsub on the script slot names then and replace them with similar characters.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

Blizzard

I don't remember. But you basically have to use XXXX-SCRIPT_NAME where XXXX is the order number of the script with leading zeroes and SCRIPT_NAME is the script slot name from RMXP. Each script does into a separate file into the Data/Scripts folder.

Ryex

still arc format right? or stored as raw text and rb files

Blizzard

.rb files with raw text inside. That way if stuff gets actually corrupted, the whole file won't be lost because it can't be decompressed.

Ryex

oh then. simple enough. I'll just remove the script load capability form the project framework. simple as removing three lines of code is three different places.  and then add that functionality to the converter.

G_G

Hey would you mind if I made a slight modification to it? I wanted to allow it so users could also just drag files onto the exe and autofill it into the text box. Only if you guys agree of course.

Blizzard

Ryex

sure, you know what your doing wtth wxruby, so why not.

G_G

I was successful/unsuccessful. When the compiled program was from a .rbw, it won't detect arguments. However, when I copied the program.rbw and changed it to .rb and compiled it, it detected the argument just fine. I'll commit what I have. Basically what you can do is drag .rxproj files to the program_console.exe. Oh and not to confuse anyone, it still loads the GUI but it just has an ugly console in the background. I originally did this so I could do some debugging.

Ryex

I fixed it. it was a problem with how I had ocra set up. You can now drop rxdata files onto the exe in the file system. I also added file dropping in the running program.
also I managed to get the program to use the native buttons not the flat pre windows-xp buttons. it will only work if compiled form my computer though. I had to patch a manifest into my ruby exe's (I made a back up in case I ever need to undo it)