Release Date

Started by Blizzard, November 21, 2011, 02:04:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

I'm not asking for an actual date, but for an estimation about how long it might take to finish the editor. I suppose there's no way it will be done before New Year.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Likely not.
And if we were somehow to pull it off, it would probably have some bugs in it that were overlooked in the rush.

I would be nice to have a at least a week of debugging, too, with even a small closed group of testers.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

November 21, 2011, 04:12:27 am #2 Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:16:54 am by Blizzard
I was thinking of two weeks actually. xD
Once we have the beta done, we will make a 2 week testing. During those 2 weeks anybody can apply to be a beta tester.

I generally don't want to rush things, but obviously it would be nice to get things finally done. If we leave ourselves more room (e.g. until the end of Q1 2012), we'll just abuse it and take longer than we need. There is no deadline so we don't have to rush, but we should push ourselves to get it done as fast as we can. I was thinking to make a release date after the editor is 80%-90% done. This will create enough pressure on us to finish things, but not too much so we overlook bugs and problems. I will try to implement some more features in the engine during this week so we might have a finished engine by the beginning of December. The two biggest things on my TODO list are MIDI support and FLAC support.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Yeah, the MIDI support is bitch on our end, too, in case you missed Ryex's post, lol.
We will likely need to come up with a way to convert MIDI to WAV on the fly.

As for the editor, there is a lot of ground yet to cover. Much of it can get covered pretty quickly, though. There are still some minor details to work out on how some things will function, but for the most part, its smooth sailing. I have the database about half done (I got stalled a bit with this AudioPlayer), but that number is bit skewed. For starters, I was learning Python as I worked for a while, was going slow at it, and was constantly going back to revise code because I discovered a better way. I'm pretty comfortable with the language now, and have a few classes I built to speed things along, so the second half will only take a fraction that the first did. I still have some improvements to existing code that needs done, but more of an OCD thing, not because it doesn't work, so if need be, that stuff can be left for an update (Speaking of which, we still need to make the updater for ARC, but that won't be hard). Other than that, I still need to finish the Database package for the Kernel, which is nothing more than time-consuming and tedious, implement the Action Framework for Undo/Redo, and before its all over, run through the templates file and add Kernel.Protect() to all the event bindings. There are many various GUI things left to make that aren't related to the database per say, but nothing major, save maybe the map editor that Ryex already has a very large start on. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of stuff, but those are the highlights.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

No, I saw Ryex's post. xD

I see. Well, it sounds like most stuff is just ground work and the hardest part has already been done.
If I finish the engine earlier, I might give you guys a hand with the editor.