[XP] Creations - A Multi-Player Building Game

Started by Wizered67, February 22, 2012, 12:54:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizered67

February 22, 2012, 12:54:56 am Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:32:07 am by Wizered67
Introduction:
Creations is a 2D multi-player build-and-destroy game created with RMXP. Players are able to build structures while interacting with each other. Players are also able to create kingdoms in order to claim a map. Kingdoms can be used in many ways, and it's up to the players whether they will create a simple trade route, or make an empire and claim the world. If 2 kingdoms want the same land, they can challenge each other to a battle for the land. The entire world is in the hands of the players. Peaceful or violent, mining or farming, good or evil, the choice is yours.

Gameplay:
The style of gameplay will be similar to Minecraft. You will be able to place tiles, break them, and interact with some. So far, only a few decorative tiles and doors, chests, and signs have actually been added. This is definitely a work in progress so far. Only the main systems (Building, destroying, etc) have been created so far. I am not quite sure what to do with the game from here, but I am hoping for some ideas while I come up with my own. The game will be multi-player.

Features:
Green means completed, yellow means in progress, and red means not started. There may still be some issues even if completed.

• Basic Building

• Basic Destroying

• Basic HUD

• Global Maps

• Interactive Tiles

• Crafting

• Battle System

• On-map Menus

Known Issues

• Problems with multiple players building at the same time

• Issues with scrolling maps

• Risk of data corruption or hacking

• Issues with moving events

• No battle system, little content

• Problem with multiple players using the same chest at the same time

Screenshots and Videos
Spoiler: ShowHide

New and improved walls.

Global day and night system.

Building a City.

Trees and Plants.

New Destruction System.

Crafting!

Multi-player Test Video!

Demo
Demo removed, but let me know if you want to help test!

Credits

• Blizzard - Scripts

• Nathmatt - A few lines I borrowed from him

• Game_Guy - Item Storage

• Ryex - Mouse Window API

• Homerunbom12 - Ideas

Thanks for looking at my project! Feedback is appreciated!

SBR*

Seems pretty cool. I hope you'll get a (possibly multiplayer) demo done soon :).

Wizered67

February 22, 2012, 11:48:32 am #2 Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:48:26 pm by Wizered67
Well, I'm working on the multiplayer part, but the problem I have is that none of the friends I sent the demo to are being very helpful.:P

edit: It is really hard to test this alone! If you have any interest in helping test the basics of the multiplayer such as building, destroying, and global maps please let me know!

edit2: My testing clearly isn't happening, so if anyone wants to do me a favor and help me test here is the demo. Basically I need to make sure that the global building stuff is actually working as it should be. The controls are pretty basic: WASD for movement, left click to build, right click to destroy, you turn towards the mouse, and clicking the middle mouse button will rotate the item you are using to build. I can't guarantee that the server will be up 24/7. Please help me test this!

Wizered67

I got a friend to test the demo on their computer, so I can confirm that global maps are working. The only thing I'm not sure about is how well multiple people building at the same time would work. Anyway, here is a screenshot of the map after it was changed on 3 different accounts on different computers.

Wizered67

I've made a ton of progress recently. Here is a video showing me and a friend testing the multiplayer. This was the first test of the game with someone else on at the same time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL0QiMSq3Uo

The video is very laggy. The issue is that I wasn't able to test the multiplayer stuff before with someone else, so I didn't know how bad the lag was. I will try to work on reducing it.  If nothing else, the video shows that the main systems are mostly functional and that global building definitely works.

So now what? Here's a message I sent someone detailing my plans for the game.
QuoteConcept - Players can start Kingdoms. (Guilds) They can invite other players to their kingdom and build with them to create cities, villages, trade posts, etc for their kingdom. Anyone can build on an "unowned" map, but if a kingdom "claims" a map, only they can build on it. Kingdoms can always claim unowned maps. When a map is claimed, the kingdom that owns it can give the map a name. Examples of the names would be "Capital City", "Fort", "Outpost". That way, the way the map is being used can be shown and the maps can be referred to by name. If a map is owned by another kingdom, there must be a challenge between the kingdoms to claim it. An officer or the leader of a kingdom can challenge another kingdom for a chosen amount of time. If an officer or leader from the other kingdom accepts, the challenge begins. During a challenge, the "ownership percentage" can decrease on maps between the fighting kingdoms. Every couple seconds spent on a map decreases its ownership percentage if it belongs to the enemy, or increases it if it belongs to you. For example, if 3 players from kingdom A are on their home map, the ownership increases up to 100%. However, if there were 4 enemies on that map, the difference between the amount of players would be 1 and the ownership would decrease slightly. If the 4 attackers killed all 3 defenders, the ownership would constantly decrease until reaching 0. When at 0, the kingdom is free to claim the map as their own. The reason kingdoms would compete for maps is to get the buildings on it, to use it for strategic positions, or for the "map bonus". Map bonuses are special bonuses that some maps have. For example, maps with a river running through them give a "farming" bonus which increases farming, while some may have an abundant supply of a rare mineral (like gold) that will respawn over time on the map.

So that's pretty much the idea. I'd appreciate some feedback on it to make sure I'm not missing anything important in the idea or whatever. Also, here's a screenshot showing some of what I've done so far. The minimap doesn't work, so I plan on removing it and putting the "map info" (name, owner) elsewhere on the screen. The kingdom name shown here is "Vipers".
http://i43.tinypic.com/21enh4j.png

Thanks for reading! I appreciate feedback if you have any. Also, some testers would be nice..

Wizered67

I improved the walls to make them look more like actual walls. Houses now look much better.

Still looking for testers...

Wizered67

Here are some screenshot of the menus I've been working on for the game.

Ryex

hey look, it's my window API at work!  nice work wizered67.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Helskyth

Really awesome idea. Best of luck with it. If you do some more closed Beta's, drop me a message. I'd be happy to break things for you :P
It's not me that's addicted to coffee. It's the coffee that's addicted to me!

My Deviant Art
My Youtube

Spoofus

man this had better get completed and not dumped halfway in the making.
this has huge promise and looks like it would be great to play.

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Wizered67

Thanks for the support everyone!

For anyone interested, you can see some additional screenshots and news here, although I will keep posting major updates here, so don't worry. :)

Ryex

wait... I'm not in the credits list but your using my Window API? for shame Wizered67 for shame. (I'm not really mad, but it would be nice if you fixed that.)
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

SBR*

Will the game exist out of "matches" or will the servers run permanently (like MC)? Because if the servers run permanently and a challenge starts and you're not online, the enemy might capture the map with your house on it, thus stealing all your stuff. Anyway, this really looks promising and I'm looking forward to playing it when it's done!

Wizered67

The way I decided challenges will work is that both kingdoms must accept the challenge and specify how long it will last for. If you log out during the duration of the challenge, its your fault if your stuff gets stolen. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to worry about any stealing like that.

Spaceman McConaughey

March 26, 2012, 07:03:19 am #15 Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:07:52 am by Tuggernuts

69 views...
3 likes...
0 dislikes...
Things are looking good for it over on YouTube.

This looks pretty awesome, man. Great job.

SBR*

Quote from: Wizered67 on March 25, 2012, 12:00:03 pm
The way I decided challenges will work is that both kingdoms must accept the challenge and specify how long it will last for. If you log out during the duration of the challenge, its your fault if your stuff gets stolen. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to worry about any stealing like that.

Uhu, if you log out. But what if you're just offline?

Wizered67

If your offline, you wouldn't be involved in a challenge unless your kingdom participated in one without you. So I suppose it is possible for your stuff to be stolen if your kingdom loses control of a map during a challenge when you weren't online.

SBR*

Quote from: Wizered67 on March 26, 2012, 06:38:23 pm
If your offline, you wouldn't be involved in a challenge unless your kingdom participated in one without you. So I suppose it is possible for your stuff to be stolen if your kingdom loses control of a map during a challenge when you weren't online.

Which means that either there will be hardly any challenges, because not everybody is online, or you will loose your things occasionally... To be honest, I dislike both. But whatever :).

Magus

reminds me of minecraft... (from the video)
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />