[XP] Creations - A Multi-Player Building Game

Started by Wizered67, February 22, 2012, 12:54:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizered67

Quote from: SBR* on March 27, 2012, 10:32:22 am
Which means that either there will be hardly any challenges, because not everybody is online, or you will loose your things occasionally... To be honest, I dislike both. But whatever :).

I think that the better option would probably be to risk losing your stuff while you are offline. I think that although it is annoying, it would at least put some extra emphasis on choosing a good kingdom to join rather than joining a random one.

Quote from: Magus on March 27, 2012, 01:32:24 pm
reminds me of minecraft... (from the video)

I was kind of trying to get a "Minecraft" effect with the game, but I do plan to change things. Do you think that being similar to Minecraft is a bad thing in this case?

Wizered67

For anyone interested, I will be releasing a test version next Thursday to anyone that signs up for testing. Just post here or message me if you want to help test. So far about 15 people have signed up.

Oh, and here are some screenshots of a city built in Creations.
Spoiler: ShowHide

SBR*

I would love to join you, as I have a day off that day.

Wizered67

Thanks for volunteering to test. Unfortunately, the testing has been delayed because I have to work out a few final issues. The game will be released for testing within the next few days. (I'm hoping for tomorrow, but not sure)

Wizered67

Here's a quick video showing the ability of the player to choose their own sprite for use in-game. Sorry the video quality isn't higher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIbSJo1JqY

Wizered67

A test version of the game was released to help me find the issues and eliminate them as well as giving everyone a taste of the gameplay. Let me know if you want a copy!

flrodude

I can sprite characters and smaller objects, let me know if I can help!

hansiec

Alright I'd like to help with this, mostly to see how much better yours is compared to mine.

Wizered67

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. So, do you want to actually help make the game, or just help test?

Either way, I feel I should let you and anyone else that happens to be reading this where things stand with this game. I was desperately trying to reduce the lag and fix an issue where the maps were randomly lost. Unfortunately, my solution to this has only caused more issues so far, and I do not plan on releasing a new demo of the game or put the server back up until this is fixed. I'm hoping that I'll be able to make the final adjustments on the system soon so that I can continue adding on to the game. Right now, I am so jealous of singleplayer games - getting this to work for multiplayer is a pain! (Technically it worked at one point, just slowly)

hansiec

Both, I am currently trying to build up my networking experience and since I'm working on something similar I can also help with this better, also I have a few ideas to reduce the lag if you would be kind enough to let me look at the source.

(taking the events and loading em with "game_map" is one way to reduce lag or you can use an event spawner and use it's saved events method to properly load/destroy unneeded events if you are using something similar to my map system where it overwrites one map only then I have already got a small lag reducing fix which might not even work since I'm not sure how much your game lags...)

Wizered67

Actually, the lag was/is caused by the server sending so much data over to the client every time the map changed, and then reloading the entire map. Looking back, this was a really stupid way of doing it. Now I'm trying to get it to work where it only modifies the changed parts of the map, not the entire thing.

hansiec

Quote from: Wizered67 on May 10, 2012, 08:10:51 pm
Actually, the lag was/is caused by the server sending so much data over to the client every time the map changed, and then reloading the entire map. Looking back, this was a really stupid way of doing it. Now I'm trying to get it to work where it only modifies the changed parts of the map, not the entire thing.

Do something like so: Send object info/time edited (Time.now.to_i is a good method) now when the player saves the map remember to save the last update the player had on the map and load every change between current time and last update (unless the update is X amount and it has no longer a value to the server) also delete any "overlaying" data so we don't load even more data than we should (if the player was last online a year ago it would be best to load a scratch map instead) but in any case I'm not that good with networking (except a very small portion of mysql/php) hope you understand what I mean.

Wizered67

Well, that's not exactly how it works. I'd rather not go into too much detail here, but if you are interested in knowing how it works, message me.

Wizered67

Time for an update! I'll be gone for a week and a half after today, but I thought I'd whip something up for Creations first. Here it is, the voting board. Essentially the voting board allows players to vote on important decisions in game, such as electing officials, deciding who to go to war with, and much more.

Here's a video demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMxuzL0zbq4

hansiec

Nice progress on this, I still think you need a perlin map generator (if you need one I have already made one but not released properly yet.)

Wizered67

I'm planning on using a map generator... eventually.

In the mean time, here's a quick look at the time system. It's pretty much the CCTS, but I modified it so that time is calculated serverside and applies for everyone. :D

SquareMan

QuoteThey've got helmets on they're heads. But I gotta watermeloan instead!

Wizered67

I've made some significant progress in the last couple days after a period of inactivity. I've added:

Basic Trees

Trees will play a large role in getting wood, which is crucial for development of towns and cities. Eventually, specific maps will be "forests" and generate lots of trees.

Paths and Roads

Basic, yet extremely important for guiding others or yourself to a specific location. Players will be highly encouraged to use roads.

New Destruction and Building

Building and destroying can now be done from a distance, as well as tiles taking multiple hits to destroy. Tools will be coming soon to speed up this process. As seen in the screenshot, tiles have a defined amount of "hit points" to destroy, which are saved globally. Because of this, you can start destroying a tile and come back later to finish with its hit points retained. Additionally, 2 people hitting a tile would literally destroy it twice as fast, making team work possible for mining operations.

See this for the full list of updates.

Also, like our facebook page at www.facebook.com/creationsgame

Wizered67

October 07, 2012, 02:48:41 am #39 Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:50:57 am by Wizered67
I finally got around to adding crafting! Big thanks to Ryex for making his Mouse Window API so easy to adapt. I'm using it for pretty much every window imaginable xD

I'm open to suggestions and feedback if anyone has any.