Author Topic: Introduction / Demo Download  (Read 21314 times)

Offline MarkHest

• Video Game Music Composer
  • Astral Trancist
  • LV: 16
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
Introduction / Demo Download
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:31:25 AM »

Download

The Demo version 3,3 is released.
Here is the link and the uppdate history.

Demo - Version 3,3 (Size: 45MB)
(RTP is not required, just download and play even if you don't have RMXP on your computer)

(click to show/hide)

Current Progress with the game:

Overall: ~65 % Progress...

Main Story: ~80% Progress...

Introduction

I originally created this game as a Joke RPG and some of you might think of it as such. However, as time went on I started to feel more connected to the game and I didn't want it to be crap. I took a liking to the world and characters I had created so I didn't want to waste it on making it just a random game that no one cares about. Eventually I started brainstorming about the stuff I had already made in the game and tried to figure out how I could more interesting and story-captivating. While keeping the Joke-RPG elements in the game I actually managed to implement a decently interesting and serious storyline and this became the game that is: The Missing Part - (Title Missing).

GamePlay

Battle
Alright! Now for the gameplay introduction. The game uses the Default Battle System implemented in RPG Maker XP, the frontal view battle system (Turn Based). I am using a few Addons from Tons of Addons to liven it up thought!
The enemy battlers are animated and i am using the Easy Overdrive script in ToA as well. So it's not exactly like the default one.

It was first planned to have random encounters in the game but that was changed!
That's right! There will be no annoying random encounters in this game. I instead, with the help of Aqua, implemented a system that makes enemies walk the maps and whenever you get too close to an enemy he will start chasing you in a speed level of 5(Faster). If the enemy reaches you a battle will take place as normal. Win to make the enemy go "poof" and it won't reapear untill you exit and re-enter the map.

If you escape from an enemy a counter will appear above the enemy sprite after the battle. You have around 5 countdowns (around 3 seconds) to run 6 frames away from the sprite or it will come chasing after you again.

The system where the enemy chases you will only be in the final release of the game.

Adventuring

Dungeons? Haha, nope! Chuck Testa!
This game doesn't have many dungeons at all! It is more a story driven game and focuses on traveling a lot from place to place in the outside world. Now now, i'm not going to lie, there ARE dungeons but just not that many.
Altso, there won't be too many puzzles in this game either because my brain doesn't exactly specialize on those kinds of things. There are going to be some mini-games thought! Tough ones!

As i said, it is a very story driven game. Expect a lot of cutscenes and a lot of talking. Some people may see this as a good thing, some may not. It depends on if you like the story or not.

The mapping in the demo isn't very good, I am aware of it. However, this is getting fixed in the final release!

Main Characters:

Eilzie
(click to show/hide)
Nali:
(click to show/hide)

Character 3: Not revealed here!

Character 4: Not revealed here!

Audio

I am a composer of game music.
I am making my own music for this game so the music of the final release will be ~95% made by me.

I am EXTREMELY careful with the music of this game as i see music as one of the most important factors that makes a games more enjoyable and memorable (which is true). I think i have put more effort in my music than the game actually...

Here is some random fact: One of the main reasons I made The Missing Part - (Title Missing) was to create a story and develop my musical skills by making music for all the moments of the game. Doing this I would try my best to fit the atmosphere of where a song should be used and also try to affect the player emotionally.
I have always been inspired by Video Game Music and it has always been in my interest to create my own Video Game Music. It is from that very desire this whole projects was born from.

So yes. Much of the hard work i put in this projects will in fact not be the projects itself but the music. I am literaly trying my absolute best to create music that will fit the atmosphere of this game so well that i want it to be the headline of many of the feedback messages. It's sort of a dream of mine. For people to accept my music and where i place it in this game.
To sync it perfectly.

I'm not having too high expectations, thought. I'm just hoping for the best. It is part of a dream, after all.

Graphics

Are you ready for this...?
Yes, this game is totaly fucking random sometimes. It has many random attempts at trying to make the game more enjoyable in its own fashion.

One such way is the art that is used to create enemies of the game. And not just the art, the enemies themselves can be pretty random at some times... or many times...
Because of this, almost all of the battlers and enemy sprites of this game are half-assed drawings made by me. The are Intentionally made this way mainly to fit the games own sense of fashion and atmosphere but also because I get bored when I draw too much. It really does give the game its own fashion though, and quite frankly, I think it makes the game more appealing because of it's unique style. It's a win-win for me!

Remember, as long as you are not in contact with the main enemy of the game it will remain either normal or random as shit!
The normal enemies are not part of the main story. They are not evil. They are just random creatures blocking your way. They can't even make you Game Over, but they do steal your money so watch out for them!

Now for the fun part!
You will actually have the opportunity to create your own battler for this game and make it an enemy! See the Sticky Topic Enemy Battler Creativity for more detail.

Video / Trailer

Click link to see Trailer on Youtube!

Screenshots

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Scripts Used

Easy LvlUp Notifier [Author: Blizzard]
Enemy HP Bars [Author: Noobitron]
Sprite_Shadow [Unsertain Author]
Item Art Color [Author: LiTTleDRAgo]
Achievements Script [Author: Game_Guy]
Stormtronics CMS [Author: Blizzard]
Zer0 Advanced Weather [Author: ForeverZer0]
Tons of Addons [Author: Many people (Mainly Blizzard i believe)]
Easy Overdrive System [Author Blizzard]
Battle Memory Commands [Author: Game_Guy]
Battle Icons [Author: Juan]
Advanced_Analyze_System [Author: Blizzard]
Beastiary [Author: Blizzard]
Advanced Shop Status Window [Author: RPG Advocate]
ChaosProjectSaveLayout [Author: Blizzard, Fantasist]
Multiple Message Windows [Author: Wachunga, ForeverZer0]

These are included in the demo. There will be more in the final release.

Known Errors:

1: The current only known error is the grammar. I know my grammar isn't perfect and i occassionaly make dispellings and wierd follups to sentences. I even use the wrong words sometimes, but this rarely happens.
However i see these are minior details that can be ignored, right? I mean you ARE able to read all of this, aren't you? That is all i have to say about the grammar. I am sorry. This is realy the best i can do at this time.

General Information:

Feedback or Criticism can be posted in this topic, or in the game director itself, or in a private message on this site. I appriciate every post made about the game whether is negative or positive in nature!

Any bugs or glitches in the game must be reported to me emidiately as soon you encounter one! If there is one thing i hate, it is errors that shuts down my game i've put so much work into to try and make flawless!

If you need help with anything, do ask me! Depending on the question i will put the answer in Spoilers so i don't reveal to people that wants to clear it themselves.

This game is something i've created out of a dream of mine.

This game is sort of... a reflection to my dreams and imagination. You might even put some of my wishes in there as well. The reason i am so devoted to this project is because I am mirroring my own mind and heart in the form that everyone can be a part of.
By playing this game you are experiencing a part of my heart.

No matter how wierd it sounds, it doesn't change the fact that it's true :huh:
This game IS a mirror from my own dreams and imagination, it's my world.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:13:51 PM by MarkHest »

Offline ZombieBear

• Total Beginner
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction / Demo Download
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »
Congratulations on being featured!

I don't know where to comment on your game exactly, but I suppose here will do. :P

I love your game music; I'm on your soundcloud right now letting everything play. Definitely impressive, sounds perfect for a videogame.

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:17:32 AM »
@Zombiebear: You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that! :haha:
It is posts like this that makes my day :) Thank you!

And yes, you can practically comment on a new topic as well, but this topic would be most fitting.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:45:37 PM by MarkHest »

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 294
  • Remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:48:49 AM »
Any estimated date when we might see a full release?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:16:01 AM »
OMG!

Scripts Used

DRUNKEN ADD-ON! [Author: Blizzard]

<3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »
Any estimated date when we might see a full release?

@Zer0: I can't really say for sure, i have sertain days when i work on it a lot and then there's days when i don't even touch the game so.. i can't really say.
But when i feel like i have progress with the game and think that it's closer to completion i will change the % of the overall progress that i put on the top of the original post.

@Blizz: Hehe :3

Offline AJNR95

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 7
  • This User is Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:29:17 AM »
Played the demo and passed the fishing minigame. That was great creativity there.
But I think Nali should get some sort of Defensive Skills because she goes down in 2-3 hits,
I've only managed to get Nali to Level 4. You should try swapping her Heal Skill for a skill
that converts half of the damage to damage her MP instead since she has so much.
(click to show/hide)

by Blizz: Spoilered, because image is 2.6 MB.
by AJNR95: Unspoilered, because fuck you - ¡Viva la Revolución!
by Blizz: Spoilered again, and Banned.

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »
Actaully, Nali was planned to have weak defence as she has lots of damaging skills(She isn't that strong in the demo, but she will be later on in the game), so i basically switch out her defence with power.
Remember, she's also a small creature and can't really take much damage ;)

And a skill like that is not something i want to give her so early in the game. Remember that powers and skills are a big part of the story in this game as well, not only for the battles.

Offline AJNR95

• Awakened Visionist
  • This User is Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 02:54:39 AM »
That's understandable. I'm not asking that she should have more Health, but at least some sort of defense or support.
A Flight skill would sound reasonable at a low level,

eg. "Flight" - Flys up in air for 2-3 turns
(This increases her Evasion but decreases her regular hit rate, magic spells don't suffer a hit penalty)
or
(This nulls incoming melee damage, but Nali takes 50% more damage from Ranged Attacks)

She does use Dark Magic, from what I've learned, and the "Heal" Skill doesn't sound very dark to me. A "Life Siphon" (Take
Enemy's Life to heal herself) is more fitting, or "Manifest" (Take Enemy's Mana to heal herself).

Because in the first 5-6 levels of the characters, only Elieza is able to wear armor, while Nali does not get any. Eliz can take
4-7 hits in comparison to Nali's 2-3 hits till death, making me use a potion every other turn or so, the "Heal" she learns only
replaces the Potion use (not exactly although, because the potions are given out liberally within the Demo). If anything, Nali
should have her Evasion a bit higher (3-7% Higher) naturally.

Other than grammar errors, the demo is perfectly fine and entertaining  :)
(I assume English is not your first language, if you had a thicker accent, you would evolve into Robbaz)
(click to show/hide)

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:26:30 AM »
I like that idea. I will l probably give her that flying skill that will increase her evasion by a bit.

Oh! And about that heal skill, i will explain! :haha:
Why does a 'dark wielder' know how to cast a regular healing spell? This is because the Darkness Elemental is what is called a 'pure' elemental in the world of The Missing Part. There are two types of elemental powers, one is called Pure and the other is called Physical. Pure elements have the power to draw the actual energy out of the element itself, meaning draw power from within the element the person is wielding, this means that the wielder will be able to control various forms of energies that the element hold. One of the main things that a wielder of a pure element can do is learn a weak healing spell. The spell's strength, effect and how long it takes to master it is decided by what kind of element it is. Darkness is a pure element (which means that you control the energies from within it) and therefore you can learn a healing spell by practicing a lot.
A physical element is when you controll the elemental powers from your surroundings. E.g: An Earth Wielder can draw power from the earth to strengthen itself. Or lift it and throw it. (Noticed that most of Eilzie's attacks are physical?)

This is explained later in the game as well, but here you have a small explanation of how it works.

By the way, the Darkness Elemental doesn't mean "evil, twisted or vicious" in The Missing Part. It's just another elemental with it's own unique powers. I noticed that you compared dark to being 'evil' or 'malicious', which is wrong, hehe.
A Dark Wielder can also be called a wielder of "Force & Heart" which pretty much explains the element and its boundaries. 'Force' as in, moving or pushing an object with energy. 'Heart' as in having a part in our very being. Combine these and you get a Dark Wielder that can manipulate the reality of the two.

All of that text just to explain a single spell! :xD:
Oh well, now you got some The Missing Part - (Title Missing) history lessions :roll:

Also, nice that you enjoy the game! Remember that the full release will have a longer intro with improved mapping and lots of grammar fixes ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:32:37 AM by MarkHest »

Offline AJNR95

• Awakened Visionist
  • This User is Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 04:27:02 AM »
Interesting. In that case, you should try scenarios where the physical wielders can't perform certain skills as effectively, if not at all. It reminds me of Avatar, where Waterbenders can't bend in the desert. Not telling you to do it, but that came up in mu head when you were explaining it.

And I can wait for the full game, I'm trying to follow the same direction of the work you're doing :)
So I'll be occupied in the meantime
(click to show/hide)

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »
In that case, you should try scenarios where the physical wielders can't perform certain skills as effectively, if not at all
That's exactly what it is. Physical wielders cannot perform sertain spells that a pure wielder can and vice versa. A physical wielder also hurts an enemy depending on his physical defence instead of magical defence. You get the point :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:01:16 PM by MarkHest »

thebloodelf

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
Seems like a seriously amazing game and your music seems on the level with Anamanaguchi's chiptunes, in terms of fittingness.

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
I really like this game lol.

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 03:18:22 AM »
Description updated and added a new up-to-date trailer! (The last trailer sucked)

Click Link to see the video on youtube!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:23:40 AM by MarkHest »

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 199
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 03:33:07 AM »
Nice, looks like the game is coming along :)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:43 AM »
And it's 70% done already. <3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 369
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Looking like a fun game to spend some of my free time on. Liking that Paper Mario-esque encounter.

Hopefully that 30% goes by really fast :)

(click to show/hide)
NNID: KK20-CP

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 03:17:06 AM »
I've been working on it bit-by-bit almost every day for a few weeks now. My goal is to have the game out this year and there's a high chance I will succeed. However, I have no idea how much time I will invest in all of the side quests. I forgot to include that in my calcuations...

Offline Seltzer Cole

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 8
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 09:54:25 AM »
Funny, I was actually playing your demo earlier tonight when I was going through my RMXP file and stumbled onto it.
(click to show/hide)
Idk if you have updated the demo but my version is from last year so. =P Looking forward to its full release!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:56:08 AM by Seltzer Cole »
You know you play video games to much when you put sunglasses on and whisper "Plus 10 Appearance"

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »
@ Seltzer Cole:

I'm pretty sure I fixed that bug in the newest version of the demo. I remember Lobstrosity telling me about it.

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
Just gona make a small progression update on the game to let everyone know how far/close it is to being finished.

I was planning to have it done by the end of the year, but it's going to be a bit more delayed than that because of all the sidequests, extra content and stuff I will have to add.

# I 'test played' the game up to the point where the game is still in work and with knowledge of what to do as well as cheating my way through many battles(including bosses) the play time is around 14 hours.
# The game has over 85 Songs that are all original compositions made by me.
# Apparently I have around 400 Maps or more o_o
# Around 150-200 Unique Battlers/Enemies that I made. They are all very simple drawings though. Very cartoon'ish and simple to fit the mood of the game.
# I've been starting to focus some more on bringing life to my game by attempting to add animations to the sprites I feel like I can animate myself and that deserves some neat animations, like the main character.
# I've also, once again, done a lot of debuging/fixing/rewriting/remaping of some earlier parts of the game which took up a lot of time and this is also the cause to why I won't be able to release it in the time I wanted.
# I have been trying to work on it more frequently on the game but if I force myself to it when I don't feel like it the game just gets sloppy and I end up remaking those parts later on when I feel more creative, which is why I can't always work on the game.
#Working on it, bit by bit almost every day. Sometimes a lot, sometimes just a little.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:32:40 AM by MarkHest »

Offline locowhiteknight

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 03:24:47 AM »
Hey markhest, nice work so far!

I just downloaded your demo, and played if for far longer than I had planned. I was a bit leery of the quality of the game, due to some of the grammar/spelling issues, but the charm of this title won my attention. I need to make note (as if you didn’t know already) that the music is f*cking fantastic. If you primarily created this game for an excuse to compose excellent video game music, mission accomplished. Everything about this game feels very original and fresh. It almost has a kind of, I don’t know, a Toonland from Who Framed Roger Rabbit feel to it. I liked the huge maps,  the intro, the plot, the odd creatures, etc… I still have a long way to go on the demo, I’m sure, but so far I’m really impressed with the game. 

Good luck with the game!

LWK
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »
Thank you so much for the feedback! You have no idea how much it means to me to hear that you like my music. Yes, one of the primary reasons I made this game was to test my musical skills and grow. I know the game will have a lot of grammar and spelling errors and there's really not a lot I can do about this. People will just have to deal with it, I guess. The demo does however have a lot of mistakes that I've fixed in the full version.

I really appriciate the feedback. I like it when people point out what they like and dislike so I can grow from it.
Thank you! :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:05:59 PM by MarkHest »

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 04:59:09 PM »
I fixed a bug that caused the game to crash after the battle theme changes. It should be able to run without crashes now.