Disturbing news with no consequence

Started by Blizzard, April 19, 2012, 01:47:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

I don't know if any of you noticed, but the Google ads on top of the page are not being displayed for some time. Due to the change of Google's policies, they have disabled the ads for CP. Why exactly? CP is filled with links to content of various natures that are either protected by copyright or for which CP does not explicitly have permission to link to. In other words, if you post a link to a youtube video, Google has the right to disable ads.

As an example for the violation of their policy they have given me a link to this topic: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=4578.0
As you can see, this is the Tileset Creator program, created by game_guy. Regardless of the fact that game_guy posted the links to the video and his program all by himself, CP as an entity was not given explicit permission to be allowed to link to them.

What will happen now? Nothing. I will remove the Google ads. The first and most important reason being that I will not limit your freedom of speech and expression by disabling links (especially stuff that you actually created YOURSELF). The secondary reason is obviously that it's not really possible to go through all 150k+ posts and delete links. If they don't want an potential audience for their ads and thus making money over some stupid links, with all due respect they can go fuck themselves.

What does this mean for CP? So far CP's hosting has been basically paid out of the revenue of the ads. Now I will have to pay it myself. And this is basically it. I will simply pay the bills and CP will continue to live without any change (except that there will be no more ads on top).
Of course you are all welcome to donate money *points to the bottom right of the page* if you want to help paying the bills. It is not necessary, but if you wish to contribute in such a way to the community, I am sure that everybody will appreciate your contribution. Contributions are anonymous as always. That means that I will know who donated, but I will not reveal any information regarding that. Of course the person is allowed to reveal that information themselves and I will confirm if necessary for whatever reason.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

MarkHest

April 19, 2012, 01:58:55 pm #1 Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:00:03 pm by MarkHest
Wait... what the hell?! Isn't this exactly what ACTA is? Did they randomly write a new law that is much like the thing we(the people) fought agains and won?!
Still, they go on and make laws despite the fact that we denied them it? Is this world fucking retarded or something?!

Calintz

retarded. thank you for keeping CP open. what does it cost to keep CP open per month?

Blizzard

chaos-project.com costs 10€/year and the hosting is 72€/year (6€/month). I'm paying in € because CP's server is located in Germany. ICD Soft (our host) offers a plan for $72/year on a server in the US, but the space and traffic is literally 10 times smaller. So I picked a European server. Here's a link if anybody is interested: http://www.icdsoft.com/hosting.php?eu
There is another plan for $10 or 10€ with much more space and traffic (again 10 times more), but CP doesn't need that much. If it ever does, upgrading is no problem.
So effectively CP currently costs almost $10/month.

@Mark: I had the same thought when I realized why CP violates their rules. Effectively they are forcing censoring.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: MarkHest on April 19, 2012, 01:58:55 pm
Wait... what the hell?! Isn't this exactly what ACTA is? Did they randomly write a new law that is much like the thing we(the people) fought agains and won?!
Still, they go on and make laws despite the fact that we denied them it? Is this world fucking retarded or something?!

It's google. They can just put that in their contract without having a law to back it up and go by it.

Blizzard

Xintekk has suggested that we try a different ad service. I have added the ads of adBrite. Let's see how things work out.

G_G

I assume you switching over caused that "googleads template not found" error?

Blizzard

Yeah, I was switching out files. xD Now everything is fine.

Vell

I think it's just Google protecting their own asses, because people in congress are REALLY intent on passing SOME form of internet censorship law.

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Vell on April 20, 2012, 06:36:24 pm
I think it's just Google protecting their own asses, because people in congress are REALLY intent on passing SOME form of internet censorship law.

I agree. This is not some law, its just Google taking some preemptive measures, same as TPB.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I agree. Well, they will lose a lot of customers and users that way. That's just what WAZZUB needs to get kickstarted. :X

Spaceman McConaughey

April 21, 2012, 03:26:11 am #11 Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:30:19 am by Tuggernuts
Eh, if people decide to leave Google and its services over this, good for them. I personally wouldn't, as WAZZUB doesn't look good to me(not good in the least bit).

Blizzard

I agree. WAZZUB still looks ruggish. But hey, you never know how things can turn out.

Spaceman McConaughey

Ryex

April 21, 2012, 05:50:28 am #14 Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:55:17 am by Ryex
Not a fan of this kind of thing, REALLY not a fan.
Spoiler: ShowHide

they have been here for at least that last few hours and haven't gone away. I make a point of not running adblock on CP in case I ever feel like clicking that rare ad. but this is annoying.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

April 21, 2012, 07:21:09 am #15 Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:43:47 am by Blizzard
I have disabled adBrite now. Let me know if this still appears. If we can't setup adBrite to omit these annoying links, Xintekk and me will try to find another ad service.

EDIT: Xintekk regenerated the ad code. Now there should be no links in the content. Let me know if they appear again.

Blizzard

Alright, this didn't really work out. We've earned $2 in over a year which is ridiculous. I guess their ad service is just crap.

Either way, I have removed the ads completely. CP is now ad-free.

Ryex

here have 20$, that should help with the next month at lesat.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Lol, thanks. CP shall prevail! HURRR!