Real and fake smiles

Started by Blizzard, April 20, 2012, 05:19:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Here's a small online test where you are given 20 short video clips of people smiling. You are supposed to rate whether the smile is a real or a fake one. I got 18/20 right. I thought one of the fake ones was real and one of the real ones was fake. It's really interesting and fun, I can only recommend it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/smiles/

hint: ShowHide
Genuine smiles often use cheeks and eyes together with the mouth instead of just the mouth. A genuine smile looks like the whole face is smiling as opposed to fake smiles where only the mouth is smiling.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

As I already told you on facebook, I got 17/20. :P The three I got wrong were all genuine smiles I rated fake :P then again, I don't know where they drew the line between fake and genuine.

Blizzard

I think they recorded the people and told them what's going on. They simply told some of them that they should fake a smile and the others were just made laugh and recorded. So their results are 100% accurate. Otherwise the test wouldn't make much sense as it would come down to subjective estimation.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

Probably. I guess what made me wonder was how especially those genuine ones that I rated fake just basically stopped instantly.

MarkHest

13 / 20  :O.o:
I guess i'm a nub.

Blizzard

@Sub: I could always see the real joy in someone's face. Maybe their smile was not so "perfect", but I just knew it was genuine since they looked happy with that smile on, it didn't look like they just put it on for show.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on April 21, 2012, 07:16:05 am
@Sub: I could always see the real joy in someone's face. Maybe their smile was not so "perfect", but I just knew it was genuine since they looked happy with that smile on, it didn't look like they just put it on for show.

I know what you're saying :P But that's not what I meant. I just tend to be more analyzing when talking to people in general, and there's plenty of people whose genuine smiles can look pretty fake. Probably has some psychological background, depending on the person. A person who grew up among people who barely show their emotion will have problems to do so himself, which can result in something like that. If I'd talk to the person, even just a few sentences, I'd probably have 20/20. :P

Blizzard

But that wasn't the point of the test. xD If you noticed, you were only allowed to run each video once. It was a test to determine how well you can spot a fake/genuine smile without context and without second guessing.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on April 21, 2012, 07:45:55 am
But that wasn't the point of the test. xD If you noticed, you were only allowed to run each video once. It was a test to determine how well you can spot a fake/genuine smile without context and without second guessing.

And I said that for some smiles, you can't say for sure instantly, and I chose to be more careful about those :P

Blizzard

It requires really a lot of social skill to be able to spot all of them correctly. I consider my social skill very good, yet I still missed 2 of them.

Subsonic_Noise

And I missed 3. :P I just have lots of insight into human nature in certain things, as well as lots of empathy.. which is probably why everyone comes to me with their problems. It's weird sometimes. :P

Calintz

missed three. a tricky bastard near the end got me, haha.

G_G

I missed two. Guessed fake on a genuine and guessed genuine on a fake. I was honestly expecting to do a lot worse but it was pretty easy to see the difference. Then again I do have some personal experience with detecting smiles. I could always tell when something was upsetting my friends, even with their "smile".

winkio

7/20.

I was trying to determine which type of smile it was exclusively by the eyes.  Apparently I'm not so good at that.

Kett Shee

17/20

I guessed genuine on two fakes and fake on a genuine. I guess I'm better than I thought? ._.
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

KK20

Quote from: MarkHest on April 21, 2012, 07:06:11 am
13 / 20  :O.o:
I guess i'm a nub.
Same. Probably because I'm not a people person.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Spoofus

14 out of 20 correct

better than I thought I would

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

ThallionDarkshine

15/20

I'm not good at reading faces.