"You are here" world map position. Can it be done?

Started by GrimTrigger, April 25, 2012, 07:26:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrimTrigger

Hey guys. My project involves a very large geographical region, with some fairly large distance in between major locations. In addition, there are many roads to get to the same places, making travel less like a grid, and more natural. I have road signs to direct players who choose to walk, but I'd like to provide the player with a world map to assist in navigation. I don't have anything like an interactive world map that where you zoom out and walk into locations (like Golden Sun, BoF, etc.)

Ideally I'd like to do the following:

Have a map come up with the press of a key, and display an image of the entire world (can be a picture, or whatever.) Your position will be marked on the world map in accordance to the current map you are standing in. Ideally it would display the name of the map as well.

Is this possible? I tried to do this with "guidestones" that show a map and a specific location marker for each separate map, but that is beyond tedious.

GrimTrigger

Quote from: Aqua on April 25, 2012, 07:29:08 pm
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,4283.0.html
That sort of thing?

To an extent yes, but something on a much large scale. I'd like to ideally pull up a picture I made of the entire world region, and have something to change the "location icon" to move around the picture depending on where you are. I think that script is single map specific, whereas I'm trying to figure out how to map a map simply change the location of the cursor. Does that make sense, or am I just rambling, lol?

Maybe this script will work, I'll check it out.

Aqua

# Overrides default setup on certain maps
def self.override(id)
  case id
# when MAP_ID then return ['PICTURE', MAP_0X, MAP_0Y, MAP_AREA_X, MAP_AREA_Y]

You'd just need to configure that part to fit your needs.
The picture would be the same for each map_id, but the rest would change according to that map.

GrimTrigger

Quote from: Aqua on April 25, 2012, 07:42:46 pm
# Overrides default setup on certain maps
def self.override(id)
  case id
# when MAP_ID then return ['PICTURE', MAP_0X, MAP_0Y, MAP_AREA_X, MAP_AREA_Y]

You'd just need to configure that part to fit your needs.
The picture would be the same for each map_id, but the rest would change according to that map.

Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thanks. (I'm amazed I couldn't find it using the search.)