[VXA] Nightmare (Completed Horror Game)

Started by Zylos, April 28, 2012, 01:22:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zylos

April 28, 2012, 01:22:40 am Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:54:23 pm by Zylos

Now that I have your attention~

Recently on RMRK, we held our ninth "Game in a Week" contest. This here is the full, completed version of my GIAW 9 entry: Nightmare. It is the spiritual successor to one of my earliest game projects called Shadows, combining elements of a puzzle solver and a psychological horror game and making this perhaps my first successfully completed experimentation with the idea of a surreal "dream versus reality" setting. My aim with this game is twofold: to strike a sense of unease into the player, unnerving them if not outright causing them to jump, and to allow the player to try to unravel the strange story behind the game for themselves.

Nightmare was fortunate enough to snag the first place spot in the contest, and I've been busy adding to it and improving on it since then so that even the judges of the GIAW will enjoy going through the game once more. The puzzles range from being simple "find this item, use this item here", to being gruesome challenges that really make you stop and think. It's only about 40 minutes to an hour long, but every minute is jam packed with heart-pounding excitement and scares around every corner. Considering this was my first time using VXA, I'm really happy with how it came out. I put a lot of heart and spirit into making this, so I hope you enjoy it!

Notes and Tips:

• Choose wisely! There are three difficulties to the game: Timid (Easy Mode), Normal, and Brave (Hard Mode). Timid Mode gives the simplest forms of all of the puzzles while providing many hints, and slows the shadow down and making her appear less often. The best ending is easiest to acquire in this mode. The Normal Mode is the average playthrough, neither too difficult or too simple. It has the shadow at normal speeds and appearance rates, the original contest versions of the puzzles with little to no hints, and a slightly more difficult path to find the best ending. Brave Mode, however, ups the stakes considerably by providing more complicated versions of some of the puzzles, increasing the shadow's appearance rate, having the requirements for the best ending better hidden, and giving you a limited number of continues while disabling save files. Be sure to take on the difficulty best suited for you!

• Explore! As you may have guessed, there are two endings to the story based upon your actions in the game, one good ending and one bad ending. Getting one ending over the other can dramatically change the entire interpretation of the game, so pay close attention! It's not difficult to find the good one if you take your time a bit, examine the environment around you and follow every lead you're given. Even if you get the bad ending though, don't worry; there'll be hints provided in game for what may help you on the right path.

• Run! Holding down the shift key while moving will allow you to sprint and give you a decent speed boost. It's useful for making a quick getaway or dashing past dangers. But keep in mind that you are only human; running for too long will cause you to get winded and need to slow down again to catch your breath, and the last thing you need is to slow down right when there's something behind you...

• Listen! Can you hear the sound of your own beating heart? It means that the shadow is nearby, slowly closing in on you! You may not always be able to see her, but you can always listen carefully to determine if she's close by or not. So when you hear the sound of a heart, stop and look around to see where she's coming from before making a run for it!

• Think fast! The shadow will pursue you relentlessly and often block your path forward, but if you're smart there are ways to get around her. Try luring her to one side of the hall or to where you have more space before sprinting around her, or if the hall is too narrow you can try to duck into a nearby room until she's gone. Be careful though, she might be waiting for you when you re-emerge from the room and can be faster than she looks at times!

• Check your inventory! Every time you pick up an item or a key, pause for a moment to examine it in your inventory so that you can have a better idea of where to go next or how to use the item. Oftentimes the item's name alone will be enough for you to figure out what to do with the item.

• Use your map! After acquiring a map of the hotel, pull it up now and then to get an idea of the hotel's layout and where you're going. There won't be any direct "YOU ARE HERE" indicators, but it's usually not too difficult to discern where you on the map based on your surroundings. Just pay close attention and bring the map up when you need to know where a certain room is or what puzzle is where and what doors you've already tried.

If you get hopelessly stuck, you are more than welcome to ask for hints or help in this thread as long as you use spoilers for anything story related. And if you really enjoy playing this game, you can always check out some of my other projects too, such as the original Shadows or the new remake of Midnight. ^^

ShadowPierce

The atmosphere is awesome and really well done... Very simplistic...
Spoiler: ShowHide
I also like that tilting thing in the hospital, is that a new feature in VX Ace? :D

Anyway, I can't seem to get past the TV part... All I hear is 5367 but when I enter it, it says wrong passcode... Did I hear it wrong? :

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Zylos

Simplistic yet fitting, I hope. It's made a number of people jump and has been described as one of the scariest RM games. :3

And yes, you are mishearing it. The code is 5267.

Dweller

I´m agree with SP, The atmosphere is awesome, also the intro is fantastic. Great work here congrats.
Dwellercoc

Ryex

ffffffffff I chose the hard mode with out thinking and now I have 1 continue left and I'm hopelessly stuck.

I've literally been everywhere except for most of the rooms on the second floo but the shadow completely prevents me from reaching those rooms.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Zylos

Hard mode is hard. :P

But no, if I'm guessing right for where you are after the hospital, the next step for you is in fact on the southern side of the second floor. You have to find a way to get past her or wait for her to spawn elsewhere. Good luck trying to get through the rest of the game with only one continue left though. XD

Ryex

April 28, 2012, 10:09:16 am #6 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:12:01 am by Ryex
Lots of stuff potentially spoiled here don't bother reading unless you wan't a walk through level of spoil: ShowHide
Of note is the fact that I intentionally ran into the shadow a few time just because I didn't realize I was using up continues and wanted to see if I could get passed her.

Anyway, I hadn't reached this "hospital" yet and I hadn't found anything top reach the switch for the second elivator, I had solved all the apparent puzzles except for the text input wall and the box with a hole in it had a blue gem and one half of the coin thing piece, I'd been running around for an hour had one continue left so I gave up and went to normal mode.

This play through was much better. I went into the room with the word wall and instantly noticed that there was now a bottle next to the book and the emphasis text / self dialog added after the plaque description had me instantly searching the ball room for something written on a bottle. that was the first puzzle I solved.  also on normal mode the storage room in the in the top left corner of the first floor was unlocked this time so I found the gold gem there. but after that I ran into a big problem. I went into the bathroom to get the key and escape the shadow after exiting the fitness room. when I came out she was literally RIGHT in front of me, instant hit no possible way to escape. same thing happens when I re-spawn. it's looping so close I don't even have the ability to open the menu and load a game to get out. I ended up having to close the game. that's something you might want to look into preventing.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Vexus

Trying the project and it's not bad. 

I'm at the riddle in the office you open with the golden key but I don't understand the piece of paper with the baby man and old man. I tried matching the meaning of the newspaper with the numbers but only man or doctor is mentioned, then I tried remembering throughout the game in what order I saw the ghosts but neither that works..... so any hints?

Playing on normal here and if on normal the hint is not clear I don't really want to know what it's like on hard..
Current Project/s:

Zylos

Ryex: Well that's annoying, I've not had that one happen before. x.x *adds to his fix list to be updated soon*

Vexus: Do you remember the Sphinx's famous riddle? "Which creature walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs in the evening?"

Vexus

Well yea
Human is the answer to that riddle, still I don't get the connection with the animals/insects/reptiles there is under the baby, adult, old man. I tried counting the baby's legs with the wolf and so on with the rest but still nothing works.
Current Project/s:

Zylos

April 28, 2012, 11:24:33 am #10 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:27:01 am by Zylos
The figures of man is your hint on how to figure it out, while the figures of the animals are the answers themselves, one for each digit.

Also, I think I've fixed the issue now, Ryex. Updated it to 1.03 and forced the shadow to wait when exiting.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxgjpziokmurw7p/Nightmare%20%28Updated%20Version%20v1.03%29.exe

ShadowPierce

@Ryex:
Hmmm, weird... That happened to me too but not as close as you described that I can't go back to the previous room and wait for it to re spawn at another point?  :???:

@Vexus:
It's a simple and old riddle. You need to count how many legs/body parts those animals need to SUPPORT their body... :3

Riddle Spoiler: ShowHide
If you really want to know the answer, try looking at the silhouette of the kangaroo again... ;)

I'm trying hard mode as soon as I have the time to finish normal... :haha:

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Vexus

Ok finished dunno if it's the good or bad ending.
(Probably good as the letter said she forgives me.)

Anyway I got some things to say maybe you could fix them or not up to you.

1 - When you get to unlock the elevator roof/basement you get a message but then nothing happens and you have to press again to go to the unlocked floor. (I know this is a minor thing but wanted to mention it.)
2 - I don't really like the idea of the semi transparent doors, why not leave them full opacity?
3 - I'm not sure if it's only on normal mode but the shadow frequency makes it very easy to dodge it, on the other hand the corridors are not that wide so not sure if you would want to change it. (How come the top part of the wall is not passable? I'm pretty sure you could make priority, no?)
4 - The beeping riddle while pretty straight forward the sound goes way too fast! I don't know if it's all in 1 but you should make some small pause after every beep AND a bigger pause when it finishes before repeating again. (It was very annoying to follow up the pattern when it was speeded up so fast.)
5 - This is a personal opinion but the sound the shadow does when it hits you, when the scene on the tv happens and some earlier cutscenes is far too loud! Lowering the sound made me barely hear the beating heart when the shadow appears on the map.... You might want to test that out.

That's it I guess.

Props for the music, the tilesets where pretty good and matching, I love your choice in blood which you probably did yourself (Would you mind telling me with what font the blood was made?) and last but not least the attention to detail the "scares" from breaking mirrors to doors closing loudly.

Was not bad but pretty linear with little to none exploration for hidden stuff, I give it a 3/5.
Current Project/s:

Zylos

April 28, 2012, 12:31:26 pm #13 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:33:08 pm by Zylos
Quote from: Vexus on April 28, 2012, 12:02:54 pm
Ok finished dunno if it's the good or bad ending.
(Probably good as the letter said she forgives me.)

Anyway I got some things to say maybe you could fix them or not up to you.

1 - When you get to unlock the elevator roof/basement you get a message but then nothing happens and you have to press again to go to the unlocked floor. (I know this is a minor thing but wanted to mention it.)
2 - I don't really like the idea of the semi transparent doors, why not leave them full opacity?
3 - I'm not sure if it's only on normal mode but the shadow frequency makes it very easy to dodge it, on the other hand the corridors are not that wide so not sure if you would want to change it. (How come the top part of the wall is not passable? I'm pretty sure you could make priority, no?)
4 - The beeping riddle while pretty straight forward the sound goes way too fast! I don't know if it's all in 1 but you should make some small pause after every beep AND a bigger pause when it finishes before repeating again. (It was very annoying to follow up the pattern when it was speeded up so fast.)
5 - This is a personal opinion but the sound the shadow does when it hits you, when the scene on the tv happens and some earlier cutscenes is far too loud! Lowering the sound made me barely hear the beating heart when the shadow appears on the map.... You might want to test that out.

That's it I guess.

Props for the music, the tilesets where pretty good and matching, I love your choice in blood which you probably did yourself (Would you mind telling me with what font the blood was made?) and last but not least the attention to detail the "scares" from breaking mirrors to doors closing loudly.

Was not bad but pretty linear with little to none exploration for hidden stuff, I give it a 3/5.

Uh, okay. Got rated higher by others, but I guess I'm just being prideful here. And yes, that was the good ending you found.

Now then:

1) Yes, having to examine it a second time is intentional. It's the "Are you sure you really want to?" chance to save before proceeding, especially for the latter of the two floors as you won't have a chance to come back afterward for certain items.

2) Trust me, I experimented with full opaque doors. It didn't look right, and I liked it much better semi-transparent. Especially the elevator doors, as those would obscure the entirety of the elevator otherwise.

3) Her appearance rate is set at random, with decreasing no-shows, increasing number of times she waits for you outside of doors, and appearing in places she didn't before as difficulty goes up. So part of avoiding her spawn points relies a bit on how lucky you are. Also, the corridors are kept small both to be a realistic size and to give a feeling of the shadow closing in on you. Four tiles are just too wide. VXA doesn't allow the top parts of the wall to be a different priority like it is in XP, but even if it did, it would feel off in size because of how the walls are. I personally prefer it as it is, requiring either for you to find alternate paths to avoid the shadow or some thoughtful strategy to lure her to where you can get around her.

4) No offense, but I had several people test the morse code riddle and all of them got it fine, much to my initial surprise. I'm told it's one of the better liked puzzles in the game, so I'd rather not slow it down for them when it's already set at a good pace for the average player.

5) Sounds fine to me and I've not had anyone have problems before, but I can look into it to see if it can't be tweaked.

Futendra

I am stuck at the TV part, do I need to put in the morse code here? (I found the number 3074 or 2047) If so, how do I type 4 numbers into 3 digits?

Zylos

Quote from: Futendra on April 28, 2012, 01:57:37 pm
I am stuck at the TV part, do I need to put in the morse code here? (I found the number 3074 or 2047) If so, how do I type 4 numbers into 3 digits?

First you need to choose a channel. A quick look at the decorum of the room should be enough for you to guess which channel.

Futendra

April 28, 2012, 02:54:37 pm #16 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:58:08 pm by Futendra
Quote from: Zylos on April 28, 2012, 01:59:16 pm

First you need to choose a channel. A quick look at the decorum of the room should be enough for you to guess which channel.

Haha, I noticed it, but now how do I find the number of the safe? I am stuck walking around for about an hour now.

EDIT: GOT IT! I thought the papers weren't examinable, since there was a chair in front of it, the riddle is easy

Zylos

Quote from: Futendra on April 28, 2012, 02:54:37 pm

Haha, I noticed it, but now how do I find the number of the safe? I am stuck walking around for about an hour now.

Tis in the very same room as the safe, you'll find what you need to figure it out on the desk. :3

Futendra

April 28, 2012, 03:21:19 pm #18 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:23:37 pm by Futendra
Quote from: Zylos on April 28, 2012, 02:56:55 pm
Quote from: Futendra on April 28, 2012, 02:54:37 pm

I am now on the road, the shadow just walks to me, I can't stop it, is this the end?

Tis in the very same room as the safe, you'll find what you need to figure it out on the desk. :3

Nice ending, I almost fell for the first ending

Calintz

well i've only experimented with this project, but so far i've seen great things! you've done well with this game. +1.

Zylos

Updated to Version 1.04 to fix a minor bug. In 1.03, I forgot to fix the elevators too so that they didn't have the problem Ryex did.

Kiwa

This looks pretty awesome!
"Hush hush hush...Here comes the boogieman".

Reminds me of when I tried to make a horror game in 2k3 after playing thru 'silent hill 4: the room' just much better... lol.(man..my game was bad..)

anyway.. looks great. perhaps I'll DL it for a less busy time.

P.S. That char looks 2 blocks tall. Didn't know you could do that... (tho i didn't play with VX to the fullest)

Zylos

It's a simple Mack-style character, been dying to use that style in a game. You can use just about any size graphic for sprites as long as you set it up properly, VX or VXA. Heck, you can even use the XP sprites if you cropped it so that it gets rid of the first column. Never let yourself be limited to what's given to you.

Kiwa

True story.
I only played with VX a little and didn't like it because the limitations to the chip set.
There were many options I liked tho.

I felt XP was a more flexible system with so much support already out there.
so I bought XP lol.

But this game proves there is more to VX than my first impression lol.

Landith

May 13, 2012, 01:10:30 am #24 Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:16:18 am by Landith
..This game actually scares me........

btw is it suppose to be room 206 and not 026? The letter says 026 but I can't find a room 026...

Zylos

May 13, 2012, 08:56:53 am #25 Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:02:53 am by Zylos
Nope, it's Room 026. Just explore and progress through the game to find it.

Also, boo. :3

MarkHest

May 13, 2012, 07:34:52 pm #26 Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:37:41 pm by MarkHest
I'm loving the game so far, even though i haven't come that far yet.

I've felt the exitement to explore every single room in fear, avoiding the shadow at all times, picked up keys & objects and placed them in the correct places.

But as soon as i get to the FIRST riddle my mind turns to mush and ends up walking around in circles for an hour to see if i've missed anything! I've never had any skills with riddles and they basically block my playthrough every single time no matter what the game :P

It's the first riddle on that tabled saying something about twelve spirits. Basically i'm too stupid to know even what the riddles wants me to do. To me the riddle isn't even a question! I could use some help here...

Zylos

Glad you like it!

If you're playing normal mode or timid mode, there's a small hint in the very room with you for the first riddle: a bottle of spirits. The riddle talks about spirits dancing in a ballroom and how none of the ones standing know the answer. Put two and two together, and you should be able to figure out where the solution lies.

MarkHest

May 18, 2012, 05:52:09 pm #28 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:54:50 pm by MarkHest
whoho!

Yes, i did find the solution. It took a while for me to actually realize that i needed to walk to the actual BALL to look for the answer myself. Very clever. I'm always slow with these things.
Don't be suprised if i am asking for help once again later on, hehe. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Okay i cleared the game on normal difficulty without further help. It was kinda short but i liked it.
It was a game that keeps me on the top of my seat and pay extra attension so i would not walk into the girl in the corridors. The fear if felt from this game was real and it was kind of thrilling to be honest :^_^':
Top 3 Scares: ShowHide

1: The thing that scared me the most is the girl that showed up on the TV after you entered the password. She looked so freakingly scary! xD I was afraid that she would jump at the screen towards me once i read through all the text.
2: The first time i got caught by the Nightmare I wasn't prepared so i jumped a little once the sound showed up.
3: In the end when the nightmare actually started to RUN! I was like "OH MY FUCKING GOD!! RUN YOU IDIOT! RUN!!"  I ended up dying once on the end part because i paniced :(

The atmosphere of the game is really special and it sort of gave me the same feeling as when i was playing Amnesia - The Dark Descent, mainly because of the silent surroundings and the need to be carefull wherever you go. I'd like to see more games like this, only a bit scarrier and longer. (I wonder if i have the potential to create a small horror game :huh:)

Anyway, that concludes my feedback post of this game. Exelent game!

(by the way, there were multiple endings? I got the one where the man came back to life at the hospital and after that the game ended. What are the other endings?)

Zylos

Woohoo. :3

And yes, you got the good ending. There's a not-so-good ending if you didn't do some of the actions you did in the normal playthrough before reaching the basement.

phillip1756

really really stuck on the code for the safe

Zylos

Oh hey, long time no see. Here's a hint for you:

The safe code puzzle is based on the Sphinx's riddle: Which creature walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs in the evening? The answer to that riddle was man, and thus man is used as an example in the office for how to figure out the safe combination.

phillip1756

Quote from: Zylos on June 28, 2012, 03:02:01 pm
Oh hey, long time no see. Here's a hint for you:

The safe code puzzle is based on the Sphinx's riddle: Which creature walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs in the evening? The answer to that riddle was man, and thus man is used as an example in the office for how to figure out the safe combination.

still not sure lol

Zylos

Try this then.

Look at the legs of each animal in the document on the desk. It'll show you the four digit combo.

Zylos

While I'm at it. Been two months now since the end of the GIAW, so figured I'll upload the entirety of the unencrypted project like I've done with my other finished projects. Lets people indulge their curiosity for how I did something or other and gives novices (or maybe intermediates if I'm deluding myself) an example project that they can explore and learn mechanics from.

Unencrypted Version Download

Only two things that I always ask are, of course, that you don't try to steal credit for something you didn't make (you'd look like a dumbass if you did and were caught) or go in to try and "borrow" any of the resources themselves. Simple matters of respect and courtesy. More likely than not, you won't be able to accurately determine which resources are original, which I made myself, which have been edited specifically to fit Nightmare's needs, or even where most of them actually came from and who to properly credit. Not to mention it's just plain rude to use someone else's specific game stuff for yours.

Other than that, have fun. Hopefully it helps you learn a thing or two or get an idea for your own game.

phillip1756

Quote from: Zylos on June 28, 2012, 03:07:36 pm
Try this then.

Look at the legs of each animal in the document on the desk. It'll show you the four digit combo.

I tried 4208 but it didnt work

Zylos

Think outside the box.

The old man in the sphinx riddle didn't have three physical legs, but he still contributed as three in the answer because of his cane. In this case, you have a four-legged wolf, a kangaroo standing up on two feet and his tail, a snake slithering along without any legs, and an eight-legged spider dangling. What should the combination be?

phillip1756

Quote from: Zylos on June 28, 2012, 07:12:51 pm
Think outside the box.

The old man in the sphinx riddle didn't have three physical legs, but he still contributed as three in the answer because of his cane. In this case, you have a four-legged wolf, a kangaroo standing up on two feet and his tail, a snake slithering along without any legs, and an eight-legged spider dangling. What should the combination be?

thanks man

Magus

Thanks you, I've been inspired to create a new rpg maker xp game. Of course it won't be like this nor will it probably be horror. But the fact that this is so creative, that's what I'm aiming for: a creative game.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

DOLLofPARANOIA

January 11, 2014, 06:09:46 pm #39 Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:12:53 pm by DOLLofPARANOIA
May I please get some assistance here? I've only just recently got around to learning about this game,
and after enjoying many other RPG Maker-type games--favorite being Ib--
I decided that I wanted to go ahead and give this one a try.

Turns out I apparently can't even get the thing to start properly. Well, it does start up per say.
The production logo thing pops up, I get to the Menu, I click New Game, I choose "Timid" Mode, and *PFFFT*...
A message saying the RGSS3 Player has crashed.

Why am I having so many problems with these games lately?
First I couldn't get three Visual Novel games to work, then I couldn't get Mermaid Swamp to work, and now this.

Am I just one of the unlucky ones? I don't understand why--Ib worked perfectly fine for me the first time I played it...