ARC Legacy Edition - Engine Beta 2

Started by Blizzard, May 19, 2012, 02:57:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Yes, that is really weird. But there seems to be some sort of consistency. Either the tile IDs aren't read properly (which doesn't make sense because then everything had to be messed up and there couldn't be a piece of the windowskin on the map) or there is some problem with texture creation. It's as if the buffer of another texture is on the tile's buffer for some reason.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tginick93

These graphics cards so finicky... >.>

But as I said in an earlier post, the cloud layer does render properly in any version before 0.9.6. Did a large change in graphics processing take place in the transition from 0.9.4 -> 0.9.6. The thread doesn't really give much information on that.

Blizzard

I think that's when I added pixel shaders. I'd love to go back, but the one before can't render it how RMXP does it. That's why I switched to pixel shaders in the first place.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tginick93

Hmm i did notice that too in 0.9.4. However, I'm still worried about the compatibility ARC has with different GPUs. Obviously the nvidia 9300 is pretty much obsolete so rendering problems shouldnt be unexpected. But the Intel 4000 HD is a relatively new GPU (even though it's integrated) and is present in a lot of notebooks (macbooks).

Is there really no one else with this problem on a physical computer?  :???:

Blizzard

As I said, the problem is not the computer but the driver. I could try to make all of this work using single-texture multi-pass, but this is yet again something that some cards don't support.

tginick93

Oh! Im so sorry I misunderstood you back there. I kept thinking that the problem was because my physical card (and not the driver) doesn't support whatever shader features you guys are using.  :^_^':

Guess I'll talk to apple about it when i have the chance. Thanks for clarifying.

Ryex

The problem is that your running windows on a MAC.  I imagine that driver support for windows for Apple hardware is anything but excellent.  when we build the MAC version of the engine you can just run it under the MAC OS and have no problems :).
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

tginick93

Support for apple hardware on windows is VERY excellent. :) The mouse works like a piece of junk, just discovered the gpu drivers are crap and my brightness settings reset with every boot.

Anyway that's very good to hear ryex. But i imagine other mac users running windows will encounter the same problem?

It's almost as if apple DOESN'T want us running windows on our macs... ;)

Ryex

your post contradicts itself and then speaks truth... I approve.

but yes, other mac users on windows will likely have the same problem.

when they made parallels so you could run windows on a mac they basically used DuctTape(TM) "An adequate fix for everything". It works, quite well for most things really, but it falls short when you do a bit of exploring and sew a few boundary cases

I dislike apple not for it's products (they are for the most part quite impressive), but for it's development and user experience philosophy, which is "We own you, We control it, it's for your own good"
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

DarknessSurrounds

On that note, I should probably post my experiences with the last few dev builds.

0.9.8.652: Everything seems to be working properly

Spoiler: ShowHide

0.9.8.666: Major problems.  Namely the transparent parts around the enemies, and what looks like some random texture issues.  Also I'm getting the misplaced tiles problem.  What's strange is that it seems to change every time I go between one map and the next.  This might be a problem with the tile buffers.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Beta Build: Same as above

I should note that I did not experience any problems with the pixel shaders used in the fog layers.  This laptop is a Lenovo x220 Tablet hybrid with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 (GT2+) GPU.

I'll repeat these tests in a few days on my Desktop, which has an XFX Radeon 6870 1GB (256 bit) graphics card.

Blizzard

Thank you. It will be very useful to know that the problem did not appear in r652.

DarknessSurrounds

Alright, I just repeated the tests on my desktop.  It has a XFX Radeon 6870 1GB (256 bit) Graphics card, purchased last year.

There are no problems.  Everything works as it should, the 3 builds are indistinguishable.  I guess this card supports pixel shaders no problem.  It's kind of weird, because my laptop is actually newer than my PC graphics card, but apparently doesn't support pixel shaders.

Ryex

again, it not your computer, it's the driver for your card. as your on Mac run windows your hardware integration and thus your driver is not of the greatest quality. your computer and graphics card are great, it's the fact that your running windows on that Mac.

tginick93

Actually...

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2012, 04:01:36 am

I should note that I did not experience any problems with the pixel shaders used in the fog layers.  This laptop is a Lenovo x220 Tablet hybrid with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 (GT2+) GPU.

...^^;;

@Eclipse, try updating drivers?

DarknessSurrounds

I just updated to the latest graphics driver, which was released on 6/21.  Same problems  :uhm:

Ryex

Quote from: tginick93 on July 26, 2012, 02:49:10 am
Actually...

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2012, 04:01:36 am

...^^;;

@Eclipse, try updating drivers?

oh, my mistake.  interesting that such a new card is buggy like that.

Blizzard

July 30, 2012, 01:26:43 pm #56 Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:57:56 pm by Blizzard
I have uploaded the second beta of the engine and update the CoSLAL example as well to use beta 2. There wasn't changed much, but the underlying libraries have been refactored and improved ever since. Beta 2 should work properly with the newest RMXP2ARC project converter.

Also, now you can access ARC.get_backend_id to get the special backend Window ID of the actual window in which ARC is running. On Windows this is the HWND.

EDIT: Ah, shit, wait. I messed up with the data conversion. ._.

EDIT: Ok, Beta 2 was fixed and reuploaded. The CoSLAL upload will take a few more minutes.

khkramer

August 03, 2012, 09:35:55 am #57 Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:07:34 am by khkramer
Fixed some bugs that made my game crash and now I get this o.0 :

Note: The login/server selection works fine, this happens after I login.

Blizzard

I am not exactly sure why this happens. :(

khkramer

August 03, 2012, 10:53:47 am #59 Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:47:53 pm by khkramer
Sometimes I would get a flash of the screen after logging in but then it crashes again :(
The log file is not much of a help either:
[atres] initializing atres
[atresttf] initializing atresttf
[xal] initializing XAL
[xal] initializing DirectSound
[xal] audio system created: DirectSound
[xal]

starting audio update thread
[zer0] initializing Zer0 Division Engine
[atres]

registering font resource 'Arial'