ARCed.NET

Started by ForeverZer0, July 14, 2012, 07:29:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

Overview
As Blizzard has already mentioned, a Microsoft .NET version of the editor will be released as a precursor to the cross-platform version written in Python. This implementation is primarily being built for the Legacy edition as a means to get out a public release, since .NET-based applications can be rapidly developed. Since the .NET Framework is Windows platform dependent, this application will be as well, but fear not, this is not meant to be the "official" version of ARCed, more of just a tie-me-over until the cross-platform implementation is complete.

As I already mentioned, this editor is being built for the purpose of the "Legacy" edition of ARC. If you are not sure of what "Legacy is, it basically a version that is RMXP emulation, but with a few of the features the full ARC engine at your disposal as well. In essence, it is merely a improved version of RMXP, with better performance, and some cool extras. The full release will be loaded with more goodies, but Legacy basically provides a means to pick up where you left off with your RMXP project and continue development.

As was already mentioned in Blizzard's announcement, ARCed.NET will require some dependencies to be installed on the host machine in order to run:

You do not need to install these ahead of time, the ARCed.NET installer will install them for you if they are not present on your machine, but ARCed.NET also has the ability to run portably from a USB stick or folder anywhere on your hard drive, so you may opt to install them and simply run the application in place of using the ARCed.NET installer. The XNA Redistributable dependency may not be required by release time, but currently it is, so I have included here. As the editor approaches BETA, I will be refining builds to hopefully limit the dependencies to only the .NET Framework.

Features
As I mentioned, although the Legacy edition is more or less an RMXP emulator, there are still a number of improvements that were made, merely because of restrictions that were placed on you in RMXP's editor. These restrictions have been removed, and some new features that you always wanted in the RMXP version have been added. Here is a list of some of the CURRENT features that have already been included:

• Advanced docking GUI. If you are unfamiliar with what this is/means, it is user interface that allows you to move, resize, and dock nearly any window wherever you like in the application. You can arrange the layout of windows and tools to whatever your personal preference is and what allows your to be the most productive. These layouts are saved on a per-project basis, so next time you load that project, all the windows you had open when it was closed will be opened and lain out just like you last left them. On top of that, most controls within each window can be resized, such as expanding a list of names so that it displays more text, etc..

• Restrictions for max values have been eliminated (to a degree). No longer are you forced to use special scripts just to get beyond the 999 mark for maximum of data types, or increasing actor/enemy parameters beyond a certain point. By default, these max values have had the upper limit raised tenfold, but if that is still not enough, there is a configuration file that allows you to increase it more.

• Templates for projects and scripts. Have a basic project that you wanted to be able to reuse as a base for another project? Simply save it as a template, and the next time you go to create a new project, simply choose it from the list of templates, and a new project will be created using it as a base. The same can be done with scripts. This means no more typing out headers and sections listing features for scripters you like to use templates when they release their scripts. ;)

• Automatic backups. There are various settings that allow you to set up automatic backups for your project. You can define what data types to save, such as .rxdata, scripts, maps, or combinations thereof, as well as how often. Currently there are options to create backups at timed intervals, whenever data is saved, or during test runs. There is a small built-in utility that makes backing up and restoring a breeze, which I have dubbed the "ARChiver". :)

• Advanced script editor that allows for settings of syntax style, colors, auto-complete, etc. (Based off Gemini with improvements made). Also allows for opening multiple source editors simultaneously and placing side-by-side, or wherever you decide to dock/float them.

• Powerful find/replace for script editors that allows searching using wildcards, regular expressions, and many other flags that can be applied.

• Advanced color selector that allows you to select colors in the RGB and HSV color space, as well as pick colors from anywhere on the screen.

• Loading and using fonts from files instead of installing them to maintain portability, and for those who do not privileges to install.

• Settings for fonts, colors, and style of the windows in the editor so that you can have it look however you like.

• Better preview of graphics, such as previewing fog scrolling, opacity, etc. in the editor instead of having to test play to see effect.

• Full plugin system that allows other .NET developers to easily create extensions. Simply make a reference to the ARCed.NET editor, write your code logic using all the imported data to do what you want, and build. The .exe/.dll can then be dropped into the plugin folder and will be accessible within the main editor. All publicly accessible properties/methods are fully documented and have Intellisense for Visual Studio users to increase productivity.

• Loads of other minor tweaks that are too numerous to lister here, such as batch selection of tiles while editing tileset passages/priorities, advanced charting controls for setting actor parameters, and many more!

Release
I do not want to give a definitive release date just yet, but it will likely be within one month (mid-August). ARCed.NET is nearing BETA, with only two somewhat "large" things left to implement (map editor and event builder) before final tweaking and improving begins. The map editor is pretty easy, just requires a fair amount of code, and the same can be said of the event builder. For the first release, it will likely be not much more than what RMXP has, but it is possible I will come up with something a bit more user-friendly and have implemented before them. No guarantees.

Screenshots/Videos
Spoiler: ShowHide
Haha, not yet. Will make some within the next day or so.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Kirye

Sweet! I can't wait to try this out. Good luck on everything guys, and know that we're rooting for you everyday!

Spoiler: ShowHide

DarknessSurrounds

This is great news!  I'm eagerly awaiting this.  Great job guys!

khkramer

ForeverZer0

Nah, not yet. I've been a bit lazy on this for the past few weeks. :P
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

GAX

F0 need reminder tazing?

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.