Re-thinking the interface design for a third time.

Started by Ryex, July 21, 2012, 12:56:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I think there is a flaw in the current design concept.

Right now each part of the editor (map editor, tilemap tile selection panel, map tree panel, all the tabs in the database) create their own panel when that are created that can literally be put anywhere in the screen. you can get them all out, open 10 map and arrange all the panels in what ever arrangement you desire.

The flaw is that 99.9% of the ways you COULD arrange them would be destructive to your work flow, and there is no way to quickly switch between two different task that require two different sets of panels. if you did want to switch tasks, say from mapping to database stuff, you would have to close each and every one of you map panels as well as all the tool panels and then open all the database panels you wanted.

Here is what I propose, it's additional layer of management but it should enable quicker, faster, smoother, easier to use workflow.

separating panels into perspectives.

each perspective would be dedicated to a specific task, mapping, database management, scripting, image and audio management ect.. the panels would only be able to dock in the panel they were dispatched to as their perspective. IE you would not be able to dock the script editor in between a bunch of maps, this would offer a clean way to switch between tasks, close one perspective open another. it also has the added benefit of making it easy to save perspectives and what you were doing in them as we can always know what windows were there and what data they held. where as before we had to assume that any panel could be anywhere.

this also makes plugins ect. easier to manage as they can have their own perspective.

thoughts? questions?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

Why not do both?
Have specific panels open by default into a defined "perspective", but still allow them to be docked however the user chooses. This would allow a the flow to be automatic in achieving your desired effect, but still allow total control to the user if they want to change it.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I agree with F0. If we can do both, we should.

Originally I thought we would be having tabbed panels where you can put anything inside. e.g. I could put a script editor and a tileset together and in another tabbed panel I' have a map. So I could work on the map, but when necessary I could quickly switch to the script and change something while I still have the map open (e.g. let's say I have to move stuff around and have to count tiles for that).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

well I fI do this I'll be useing a AUI manager to manage the perspective panels and an additional manager for each of the sub panels I'm not sure using this method that moving a panel form one manager to another would even be possible. I would have to somehow switch the manager the panel was using in the drag operation. from what I've seen of the internal there when fixing that shadow problem that's not feasible.

so Panels would be locked to their perspective panels unless you made a duplicate panel and dispatched it to the new perspective.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />