Author Topic: [RESOLVED] [RMXP] are these possible?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Mixxth

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED] [RMXP] are these possible?
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:21:18 AM »
Chrono Trigger question, if you never played it then you probably can't answer...
(click to show/hide)

Sprite editing question, please re-frame from laughing or trolling as I know I'm setting myself up for it...
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:37:21 AM by Mixxth »
Donald Knuth: “I can’t go to a restaurant and order food because I keep looking at the fonts on the menu. Five minutes later I realize that it’s also talking about food.”

Offline Heretic86

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: 29
    • View Profile
Re: [RMXP] are these possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:11:01 AM »
The solution to your first question will probably require a script.  Not sure what would do the trick tho.

There is no easy answer to your second question.  The Chrono Trigger sprites have more individual frames of animation than RM uses.  The default frames are just Walking Animations.  The additional sprites can be completely separate sprite sheets, which don't need to have walk animations.  They can contain additional poses for your characters.  There are event buttons that allow you to change an event or characters sprite during an evented process.

Now finding resources for chrono trigger sprites is as simple as googling.  The sprite sheets that are available on several websites will need to be edited to fit RM formats.  XP is 4 x 4, and VX+ is 4 x 3.  The character graphics themselves dont need to be edited, just copy out the relevant walking animations that you need, and put others into their own Pose sprite sheets.  For example, you can have a Marle sprite sheet where she just walks around.  Then to do cutscenes, swap out her event image and use a different sprite sheet that holds her poses.

Building different custom sprites that have the poses you are referring to is our Holy Grail, and just as elusive.  There are several free Sprite Generators for RM floating around, but to the best of my knowledge, none of them have additional poses other than just default walking animations.  Ive heard of some japanese programs that I think might be able to do poses, but those are not free, and there was no information about those programs supporting additional poses.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Offline Mixxth

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
Re: [RMXP] are these possible?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »
I would be lost without this website lol, that or I would have rage quit years ago, I love the indepth description for that I thank you greatly, the answer was as I feared... pretty much threw it out there hoping my luck worked to my benefit, I'm glad my conscience is cleared, if anyone knows of a script that can make a sweet transition such as that from chrono, I would fricken pay $ for it :O

as for the animations, I know about flipping between char sheets, wasn't to fond of using sprites from commercial games, I don't plan to sell my game but its still weird to me >.> that's why I was hoping I could find a way to change some of the standard ones I have, I may google these paid applications you speak of though, I'm interested.. maybe.

Thanks man :)
Donald Knuth: “I can’t go to a restaurant and order food because I keep looking at the fonts on the menu. Five minutes later I realize that it’s also talking about food.”