Tileset?

Started by Zexion, February 21, 2013, 06:32:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

February 21, 2013, 06:32:27 pm Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:34:28 pm by Zexion
Today I am going to start on my small series of tile-sets, that I plan to donate to ARC. However, I need to know a few things before I start. Should these tilesets be modern (eg. cities, cars, modern houses, etc.) or more fantasy? I belive the character sets were going to be more fantasy related, so I assume that I should make things such as a forest, cave, houses, and interiors that match a fantasy world. I didn't want to assume that it would be all fantasy though, so I wanted to post first.

Edit: Also, are the dimensions going to be the same? 256 x ( i/32 )?
Last question. Will autotiles still work in the same manner?

Blizzard

Yes, the RTP is fantasy based, the tile size is 32x32 like in RMXP and autotiles work the same way as in RMXP as well. Thank you very much for your contribution. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zexion

February 22, 2013, 07:02:01 pm #2 Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:29:28 pm by Zexion
Original Post: ShowHide
No problem :P will probably also include a few charsets that can be used, like rocks in water, lily pads with ripples, etc. I'm already starting :D

Edit #1: ShowHide
Here's what I've done so far. It's not much, just a grass tile, dirt tile, and some rocks that can be used to decorate the dirt or grass. I know the grass looks a little generic, but I like it. I used a tutorial on deviant art to make it lol. What do you guys think?
[spoiler]

After looking at it I feel the colors a bit bland...

Edit #2:
I messed with the colors a bit. I also made mud, dirt, mountain, and sand floor tiles. They still need some editing to tile better, but they are good for now. The next update will have them all as autotiles, and maybe a tree o.o
Spoiler: ShowHide

Zexion

Wanted to bump this to the top lol, updated again.

Ryex

I like the dirt textures the sand one is too easy to create blocks out of because of how the edges work. and the grass one... that one needs a LOT of work IMHO. there are a few art styles where it would fit, but in general the objects in that texture are FAR too big to function as grass. a thick forest floor covering of leaves perhaps if you made variations in the leaf colors. but not grass.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Zexion

February 24, 2013, 01:46:44 am #5 Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:52:25 am by Zexion
Original Post: ShowHide
Quote from: Ryex on February 23, 2013, 11:09:33 pm
I like the dirt textures the sand one is too easy to create blocks out of because of how the edges work.

Thanks, but like I said, the dirt/sand tiles still need a bit of fixing before they are tile-able, which I am actually working on now. (Had to take a break because BBQ :P)

Quote from: Ryex on February 23, 2013, 11:09:33 pm
and the grass one... that one needs a LOT of work IMHO. there are a few art styles where it would fit, but in general the objects in that texture are FAR too big to function as grass.

I kinda like it, but you are right. I think I am seeing it as more of being proud of the way it turned out, but it is just a bunch of leaves, not grass. I could turn it into a canopy type autotile though o.o, maybe.
Anyways, I will come up with more samples for the grass, and we shall see how it turns out.

Edit:
I made the new grass tile, and I think it looks pretty good. I used the same colors, but slightly shifted to blue..might put a bit more yellow in it.

Zexion

March 23, 2013, 07:47:47 pm #6 Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:36:50 am by Zexion
Just finished the autotiles :P Also re-did the grass, now has 6 tiles for awesome results. (Not used well in the screenie.)

Started working on a tree :P I like it, also edited the colors a bit. I felt the dirt and mud had too much blue in it.

Last edit for the night. Finished the tree, added a water tile (still a wip of course), and made a new map demonstrating the tiles.

Blizzard

This is starting to look pretty sweet. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

indeed, that grass looks awesome now!
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Trinitygamer

the grass looks loads better then the first one did. :D

anyway, i just wanted to say, yeah, the rtp is mostly fantasy based, but as a lot of people always complain about the RPG maker series not having many (if any) modern things, i'd say that if you want to try to make some modern stuff (or future) as well, most likely that would be fine. (i did a street lamp and some metal fencing as extra for mine, as well as a few other things, like brick walls. as i know a lot of people will most like wine about them if they aren't in there somewhere)