Author Topic: The Event Editor you WISH you had.  (Read 15468 times)

Offline Ryex

• Arctic Bird of Programming
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 197
  • Wants to write a compiler for fun
    • View Profile
The Event Editor you WISH you had.
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:18 AM »
Here's the thing, a LARGE part of my stalling over the event editor was that I had only very vague ideas on how I wanted to design it. sure I COULD of just copied RMXP's for the legacy edition and left at it that but frankly that felt clunky, hard to maintain, ugly, and completely in contrast with what ARC was trying to achieve. if you examine my work over the years you will notice that the one big consistency is that I ALWAYS try to push boundaries and redefine what the system should be I don't settle for good enough, it's not me.

Well I'be had some brilliant ideas over the last month or so that have coalesced into (what I feel is a brilliant) for the event editor.

I'll list the features of the event editor as well as the issues I had with RMXP and how I'm going to address them.

Pages: The page feature in RMXP is a powerful tool but it's design from a user perspective was completely confusing, most people had a very hard time figuring out how to use it. and it wants because of in adaquit documentation so much as it was about bad design

And So, I introduce, the "Page Stack" This will be presented as a simple to use panel that will display a stack of pages for those of you unfamiliar with the event page system it worked like this the game started at the highest number page and found the FIRST page whose conditions were met and ran that page. this is a powerful logic tool but the way its' interface was designed made this behavior very unclear. the new system will display the pages with the high pages first in a stack with the conditions to run that page next to the page name. This simple display technique as well as some other design choices  like well placed arrows and wording of columns ect. I hope to make the behavior clear to the casual observer without needing to dive into the the documentation.

Graphic Display / movement behavior/  trigger:

yet another item that wasn't always clear. The cluttering of the condition logic, display and movement behavior made the event screen hard to navigate and I even now find myself losing track of where options are located in the interface and how they behave.

The solution? Move this information into a separate panel and display only what is necessary. The event graphic option will only be visible if you select to add a graphic to the event. a Simple "Add Graphic" button that is in the event page properties panel will add a group of options to manipulate the graphic and how it displays providing useful information like what a move animation will look like. what frame and direction is the default selection, it's blend mode ect. will and be grouped and well explained.

similarly button will add event triggers and movement behavior with  a special dialog that will help better display movement behaviors visually with option like displaying arrows with frame numbers and using the map as a background for the arrows to plan movement ect. (this particular feature may be delayed in the interest of getting the dam thing out, feature creep can be a problem)

mutually exclusive options wont display at the same time allowing for a clear understand of the behavior of an event from a glance

Event Command display:

the language and way in which RMXP displays event commands has always been hard to read you may be able to read the command name but you rarely understand the parameters unless it's a condition or display text command. ARC will address this by formatting event commands in a more "Plain English", the current implementation plan even allows for a user to obtain or make their own translations with the ease or changing a HTML template

Copy Paste:

one BIG problem I've always had with RMXP was that it was extremely difficult to copy and past events and share event systems with others online with out having to go through and reprogram the events based off screen shots. I wont stand for this in ARC I originally though to make an "event language" programming language that was plain English enough that people could learn it with much greater east than ruby but will still translate to the existing event structured. I dropped this plan after some thought as too unwieldy and near impossible to achieve with out far more work than it was worth. Instead, with the advise of Blizzard at my back I'm opting to implement a import export system that will let you import or export sections or who event pages into an XML like format.
this meant copying event should be as simple as selecting some event commands like text and clicking export then copy pasting some text into an import dialog. this xml will also have the advantage of being clear English and with a little know how it should be possible to write entire event systems outside of the event editor by typing out some xml.

This system will couple with s snippit system that will allow you to save commonly used pieces of events (like door animations ect.) with the project and quickly import them into an even in progress quickly and easily.

Finding What you need:

When I first started out and indeed still today I was frustrated by the 3 tabbed dialog that pops up when you add an event command, it slow and hard to find what you want quickly.

In ARC all possible event command will be displayed in a list to the left (or right) of the event command display box that is categorized, searchable, filterable, reorder-able ect. and adding event command will be as simple as clicking a button or dragging a command form the list into the page. cant find what you want? type the first few letters of the command and the list will be shorted to include only the commands that have that phrase. want to only work with weather commands? filter the list to the weather category. This system will be especially useful in Full ARC where the number of even commands you could have at your disposable could be quite numerous depending on plugins.

What do you think, Love the idea so far? thing it sucks? want to suggest some improvements? Post bellow!

Keep in mind that none of this will actually change the underlying system that event work on. the information will just be displayed much better.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:27:28 AM by Ryex »
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
Re: The Event Editor you WISH you had.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »
I like all the ideas except the last :\ for me the pages was always extremely convenient in that I knew each page had a general category of buttons.
First is general event commands including messaging variables etc.
Second is map commands.
Third is stats and what not.

I like the pages though D:

What I would suggest is better conditions for variables. Not if variable is greater than, but leave that part selectable with choices for greater than, less than, equal to, etc.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
Pages: We can't do that in LE. We can't alter the RTP scripts. But I do agree on a redesign in the full version. I know that it can be done better.

Better conditions (by Zexion): Yes for full, but in LE we have yet again the same problem of not being able to alter the RTP scripts.

Everything else: Love it. There's not really much I can add.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 01:26:26 AM »
oh the pages thing wont change scripts. it will simply be a redesign of how that info is displayed

@Zexion there will sill be easy to identify groups, you will scroll them and be able to search them instead of dealing with the ugly modal dialog and the stupid tabs
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
If so, then go for it.

Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game on Steam

Offline ThallionDarkshine

• Ethereal Devastator
  • LV: 55
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39:47 PM »
All these features sound so awesome! This is DEFINATELY the event editor I wish I had. And I agree totally with Zexion: the variable condition system is really hard to work with in RMXP. And I'd really like it if you could have any number of conditions, which could be of different types such as switch condition, variable condition, script condition, etc.

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 05:16:07 AM »
What up all. So hows it coming so far Ryex?

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:25:21 AM »
YEAH, RYEX, HOW'S IT COMING ALONG

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »
Bump.

What's the word?  Lay it on me guys.

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 01:41:01 AM »
well I might of been a little over ambitious with the timing guesses, I'm hoping to have significant progress by the end of the month, enough to finally make that relase.

lets just say it's a whole lot more tedious and time consuming to make HTML formaters for all existing event command than I originally assumed
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:08:11 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:40 AM »
Progress is progress my man.  The boring dirty work may not be glamorous or even interesting, but alas it needs to get done sooner or later.
Good software is more of a process of incrementalism than anything IMO.

Keep it up!

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:49 AM »
There is a file for the event editor and all it does in turn event code into HTML to be easily displayed in the event editor.

only 10 of the 104 commands I know to exists (I keep finding more undocumented event codes) are implemented the rest just have "pass" lines as place holders. this file is 2187 lines long.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 04:05:22 AM »
Well, lets just say that I've redesigned how this dam event list was implemented 5 times now. I keep discovering some REALLY stupid shit Enterbrain did when making it. it's now clear sa day that the RTP scripts were written to accommodate the editor NOT the other way around. it was literally designed so that every visible line in the editor was a individual entry in the page list, even the blank ones. and a good portion of the command code serve no purpose other than to display in that list.

But behold, I present to you a prototype event list that displays the command in a new readable and hopefully more meaningful syntax!
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 02:25:42 AM »
Wow, that all looks great!  Very nicely done, this will make importing/exporting/sharing code a cinch.

What's the progress with the rest of the editor?  I'm wondering how the database aspect of the whole thing is looking.

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:10 AM »
And now I present a Protype layout of the rest of the event editor.
Please not that nothing is quite the right size yet and the layout of individual sections will change
The red box is where a scroll-able categorized and searchable list of event commands will go
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
a more structured layout that should be clear
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Memor-X

• Ethereal Devastator
  • LV: 8
  • "The Otherworld Awaits you"
    • View Profile
    • MHO Ultra Mega
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 12:14:49 AM »
one thing i would suggest is maybe putting the conditions somewhere on the event page as well, where they currently are someone who doesn't know that conditions are set for each page might mistake them for conditions of the event itself and not for each page, i would probably make a new option on the left called Conditions or soemthing

i'm liking the idea to import and export event pages, can go well in making event templates and storing them in a templates folder rather than having a template event off screen and copying that all the time

Trish: hay Angela, you should take the role, you always wanted to be an actress
Angela: yeh but what about you
Trish: i'll become one too
Angela: what? but about you being a Doll Turner
Trish: first, i'm 500 years old in a 19 year old body, i deserve a rank higher than other tuners, like Miester or something, second, i want to help you since you mean a lot to me
Angela: *imagine kissing scene between them and blushes* thank you
Trish: why are you going red? you should know i can only fix Dolls, not humans

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
Haven't heard anything here in a few weeks. I was getting a bit worried.  Done anything else super cool Ryex?

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »
sorry, the last few weeks were hectic. Finishing up at work, my grandma came to visit and then got hospitalized. I'm actually just getting back to work on on it.

I'm agonizingly close to done.

the todo list:

• Finish event editor
    • list of event commands
    • tie interface to data
  • Finish map editor
    • implement a tile selection
    • implement tools to draw
  • Finish Database
    • animation control
    • tie back to data

but at the same time that first major part meas writing repetitive code for 150 different event codes so it's slow going. I REALLY wish I wasn't doing this alone
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:41:12 PM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 03:29:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that Ryex.  I know it can be tough, I was actually in a similar situation not too long ago, I know how hard it can be.  Hope your grandma is OK.

More on topic, it actually looks like you've made a good deal of progress, great job!

I can offer my assistance with finishing up some menial tasks if you need some help.  I don't have much python experience, but I know code, so I can figure out menial repetitive tasks... I wanna help this process along if I can, and we all know it will turn out better in the end with you doing the heavy lifting on this one anyway :P My time is limited due having a full time job, but I'm willing to help how I can.  Shoot me a PM if you need me.

In any event keep up the excellent work!