Author Topic: The Event Editor you WISH you had.  (Read 15009 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Event Editor you WISH you had.
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 04:36:25 AM »
Perhaps it's time to bring in some more help?  People with more free time?

Offline Ryex

• Arctic Bird of Programming
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 197
  • Wants to write a compiler for fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »
I'm not exactly opposed to the idea, but it's not exactly a simple proposition. I brought KK20 on to work on one very isolated system with hopes that by the time he's done with it he might be able and willing to help with the remaining parts. as this point joining the project means jumping headlong into a 80,000 line python code-base. if a professional was tasked with the same they would be given 2-3 weeks to familiarize themselves performing meanial maintenance tasks before being given any real work.

to be honest there are very few people I trust that have THAT much free time they would be wiling to dedicate for the foreseeable future.
and if any of you reading this DO have that kind of time then please, please tell me. It's a simple matter to prove you have the skill which honestly there isn't much required at this point just a lot of droll semi repetitive time devouring set-up to do.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 367
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 04:22:57 AM »
I should be able to finish my part before the end of the year for sure. I'll manage to find some time to work on this again. I just needed a break from it to work on some of my other projects. My poor Advance Wars Engine was slowly gathering dust :<

(click to show/hide)
NNID: KK20-CP

Offline Heretic86

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »
Just a reply in general since I know that building stuff for the Event Interface is very difficult.

Some of the scripts that I wrote for RMXP typically require arguments to make work, and I know that at times, people forget how to use those arguments.  For example, turn toward event needs an arg to tell the script which event to turn to.  Simpler users may find it easier if the Scripters built those options to make their own windows appear so they could pop in all the required arguments. 

The other thing I was thinking of to take some of the load off of you guys would be to make a scrolling list of all installed scripts for access to those intended method calls.  It puts the workload on Scripters to make appropriate windows appear correctly when expandable scripts are listed in a Scripts Event type of thing.  Yes, that sounds quite confusing, but think about 3d Studio Max.  Their default stuff appears on the Right, as well as additional plugins.  So users have full access to any Plugins (or in our case, Scripts) without needing to constantly refer to the Scripts themselves for Script calls.

Put that kind of a workload on the people that build the Scripts / Plugins, but show available Scripts from a Scrolling Menu where double clicking on said menu gives a User the ability to call to the functionality of the Scripts through a Scripter designed interface.

Does that make any sort of sense?
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Offline G_G

• Green Gmod Game_Guy AKA G4 AKA hyper-G AKA G-force
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 06:04:15 AM »
While it makes sense, it'd be tad bit pointless and add more workload to the editor to scan through scripts for script calls. Ryex has already planned on creating plugin support, which scripters can create plugins, if they so choose, to incorporate their script into it. For example, for my Quest Log script, I could create event commands that do script calls which Add, Remove, Complete, or Fail quests. The plugins will have to be developed by scripters and done in python. So in a sense, there were already plans for what you suggested, however, it's not going to be enforced that a scripter needs to create a plugin with their script.

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2013, 05:17:40 AM »
I see this is all quite a conundrum.  It's definitely a pain in the ass to get ramped up on a massive codebase like that.

All I can suggest, is to just do a little bit at a time.  An hour here, and hour there.  It'll add up over time, especially if the tasks are just repetitive busywork.

Just don't give up!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2013, 02:37:57 AM »
Whats up guys.  Hows it coming?

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2013, 04:14:15 AM »
Funny you should ask. I was up at my grandparent's over the weekend and decided to work a bit more on the event commands (no Internet is a wonderful thing). Finished making an RMXP project that tests every single command and converted it. Can say with confidence that the first tab of event commands are done (color/style formatting was rushed, but that can be changed easily). Edit: Conditional Branches are bugged up on some conditions. Ryex dun goofed :P

Also found out that there were no command templates for 'Comment's and added those in. Now I just need to know the best way to convert long integers into signed integers in Python. Gonna see what Google tells me.

EDIT: And this is what I found
Code: (Python) [Select]
if(arg[0] & 0x80000000):
    format['param'] = -0x100000000 + arg[0]
else:
    format['param'] = arg[0]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:25:48 PM by KK20 »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »
wait.. what? are you telling me that signed integers in RMXP are packed as unsigned longs? in event commands?

if you have a change commit everything you've done so far to the SVN repo so I can check out what you mean when you said I goofed up, test project included.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:25:51 AM by Ryex »
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

(click to show/hide)

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2013, 02:10:23 AM »
I committed with the changes and added files. Took me two tries but I think I get it now :P

And yes, a -1 gave me 4294967295. I might be wrong by calling it a long int. But I do remember seeing some L's appended to the end of some of them.

EDIT: Yeah, using print on a parameter that should be -1 gave me 4294967295L.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:17:32 AM by KK20 »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2013, 03:33:32 AM »
ok, that's definitely a problem in how we encode the data. I don't have the time to look into it right now but I'll make a note.

(click to show/hide)

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 08:26:37 AM »
Worked a bit while at the grandparents' house. Fixed up the conditional branches. Also, until you fix the "encoding" problem, I'm going to just leave the temporary fix in. Will be easy to remove them since CTRL + F for 0x will instantly take you to all of them.

About halfway through with the Page 3 commands. Also noticed that, because you have that HTML formatting, trying to show less than signs in the editor is impossible (ex. if Gold <= 9000 would only show if Gold 9000), so I just stuck a Kernel.escapeHTML in areas that could draw them.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »
that's fine, though a simple html code could drop them in
Code: (html) [Select]
&lt; == <
&gt; == >
= == =

(click to show/hide)

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »
Right, I probably could have figured that one out from the print results. It's only the less than signs that were causing problems; greater than and equal signs are perfectly fine.

Code: [Select]
lol_dict = {0: '==', 1: '&lt;', 2: '&lt;=', 3: '>', 4: '>='}
This is where the OCD starts kicking in... :V:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 08:43:59 AM »
This is where the OCD starts kicking in... :V:

LMAO, you're right. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »
I think Page 3 event commands are done. Now to do the dreaded Page 2.
Soooo many parameters~

(click to show/hide)