A little help with storyline development?

Started by Zexion, May 17, 2013, 10:44:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

I've hit a crossroads at this point in development. I've developed concepts of characters: eg. Their design, personalities, fighting styles, names, back-stories etc. I've also developed a very general back-story for the world they live in and the events that led to it's formation. I have TONS of ideas on what I'd like to happen. My problem is that I just don't know how to go about designing the actual story-line. I don't know how to plan out what I want them to say, the animations I want to play, etc.

I guess what I'm asking for is...does anyone know a good way to plan out game development? Like a sort of outline type form or something?

winkio

Generally, a storyboard or one of its variants is what is used for story-centric games, which is what I think you are making.  You usually need a rough outline/narrative/script of what is going to happen first though, because storyboards tend to be pretty detailed.

If you are looking for advice on how to write a good story, commonly accepted practices are:

• characters that are fundamentally changed throughout the plot

• struggles to overcome obstacles

• love, humor, thrills, and horror

so those might be a good place to start.

Zexion

That's actually exactly what I wanted! Something to help me get it all together....The thing is I remember using storyboards when we made a "commercial" in video-tech class. I never thought I would actually want to use it again. Haha thanks winkio :P