Author Topic: 3DS/Vita/Wii U support  (Read 2559 times)

Offline VanillaSky

• Trained Member
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
3DS/Vita/Wii U support
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
Hey there fellas!

So, I don't know if you've followed the recent developments of the gaming industry, but it seems like more and more indie developers abandon XBLA and try to get their stuff out on other platforms. It seems like that the two Nintendo platforms seem to be very profitable as well as the Vita since the niche audience appears to be really open about indie games.

Especially Nintendo seems to have changed their complete stance on indie games and support them even with free dev kits and software which is pretty neat!

Well, here's my question: let's assume that ARC is finished and I expect you to release some updates now and then; would it be possible to include some kind of 3DS/Wii U/Vita porting just as MAC/Win/Linux porting? I don't know the exact effort and don't expect you to do, but I just wanted to give you a glimpse of what could be possible. There's a bunch of great markets out there and ARC should get a piece of them :)

cheers!

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
Re: 3DS/Vita/Wii U support
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »
Usually Nintendo has their own OSes on which the games run and generally you actually have to be a licensed developer for Nintendo that they would even let you publish their game on their consoles or get the dev kit in the first place (actually buy the dev kit and it's very expensive).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline VanillaSky

• Trained Member
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:22:56 PM »
Usually Nintendo has their own OSes on which the games run and generally you actually have to be a licensed developer for Nintendo that they would even let you publish their game on their consoles or get the dev kit in the first place (actually buy the dev kit and it's very expensive).

But they pretty much reworked all their requirements, didn't they? Like, yeah you still need to be licensed by Nintendo, but only so that they can give you access to their stuff and unlike XBLA you can release games on any platform instead of being tied-to it

Here's a good summary of the recent Nintendo Indie Summit:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543921

Also check these out:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/25/nintendos-new-relaxed-restrictions-for-eshop-indies/
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189180/

Thoughts? :)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »
That's not impossible, I'm not really up to date on this stuff. *reads* But you still need a dev kit (they say it's about the price of a high-end PC). And that means that we, the developers of ARC, would have to buy a dev kit in order to make ARC games work on Nintendo's consoles as well as a license. And they're not really up to giving licenses to people who aren't serious about making games so I'm not sure how that would work out (but it might work since it looks like they support Unity).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:44:17 AM by Blizzard »
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
Fun fact, I am actually part of the Animal Crossing: New Leaf graphics team. I was finished around late 2011. If you remember I went through a time period where i had an animal crossing related signature. That is why :)Seriously look up the ac: jump out credits.
:V

Anywho, this is great and all, but indie devs are usually poor so unless those dev kits are free, or pirate-able, this doesn't really change much :( It is a nice gesture on nintendo's part, but sadly not enough especially with how profitable the smart phone market is now a days.
[IMG]https://lolsigs.com/Zexi0n_na_55_7.png[/img

Offline G_G

• Green Gmod Game_Guy AKA G4 AKA hyper-G AKA G-force
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »
Just throwing this out there, Sony's development kit is free to download and they're one-year licensing is also free for the time being (I think they're only doing this for a limited time).

Offline Memor-X

• Ethereal Devastator
  • LV: 8
  • "The Otherworld Awaits you"
    • View Profile
    • MHO Ultra Mega
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 12:30:20 AM »
Unity allows you to buy a Dev Kit for allowing your game to be compiled for the Wii (if you followed the Unity Controller Standards) but the prices for it goes onto of the price for the professional version which is like $1,500 it it can start to nudge the $2,000 point and that's just $US (Professional alone for Aus is like $1,800 after conversion but that was pre-GFC)

i would also question weather Nintendo will allow an indie game to be region free, as far as i know with the DS it's got the 3 regions (PAL, NTSC, NTSC-J) and i'm sure most (if not all) of us here aren't c***s and wouldn't build a game which is region restricted unless we really had to (excluding in game translation, to my knowledge, Blizzard is the only one who's released a game here that's isn't just in English) which could conflict with Nintendo's Views (since they decided to re-add the region restriction to DS Consoles after DSi)

but still, cross platform support is a good thing to have, especially if we as indies can make better use of console features (touch screen, motion sensoring) than what some AAA games have done (how many Games have used a consoles special features as a tack on, a lot of 3DS Games, Star Wars on the Wii, Kinect in general, Dynasty Warriors for the Vita)

ofcause there is one thing that we need before cross platform support and that's to have ARC Reactor and ARC Welder actually completed, more importantly ARC Welder since even though we can just convert RMXP Games for ARC, for touchscreen and motion sensor work we need an editor that supports it otherwise we're just doing blind programming in RMXP and re-converting every time we fix up a bug which would make people loose their sanity (of cause if your considering reconverting your RMXP Game to ARC every time you change something then your sanity is already in question if not lost)

Trish: hay Angela, you should take the role, you always wanted to be an actress
Angela: yeh but what about you
Trish: i'll become one too
Angela: what? but about you being a Doll Turner
Trish: first, i'm 500 years old in a 19 year old body, i deserve a rank higher than other tuners, like Miester or something, second, i want to help you since you mean a lot to me
Angela: *imagine kissing scene between them and blushes* thank you
Trish: why are you going red? you should know i can only fix Dolls, not humans