2 (33.3%)
Make less sidequests
0 (0%)
Make two releases.
4 (66.7%)
Do not implement side quests at all
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Side-Quests?  (Read 18824 times)

Offline MarkHest

• Video Game Music Composer
  • Astral Trancist
  • LV: 16
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
Side-Quests?
« on: November 23, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
So I've been thinking...

I know many people wants to see this game come out, but I keep getting new ideas all the time that makes the production time of the project much longer than estimated. Just recently I thought up an idea that fits the game so well I just had to implement it and thus the game was delayed by a lot more once again since I have more stuff to make. I am also kind of lazy sometimes so I do not work on it ALL the time, and I am kind of losing the joy of working with the game as much as I used to. Much delay.

So the thing is... there is supose to be a lot of sidequests in the game that you can pick up from a point called the Mission Board. It's like a clan or something and I planned for the game to have a ROUGHTLY around 5-10 missions/sidequests per rank and there are 4 ranks. On top of that, the game also have some secret dungeons that I have to put a lot of work in. Also, because of the way the game progresses it's very hard to implement sidequests during mid game. So I have to put them in the END of the game where the characters are free to walk around.

So my question is!
Unlock the sidequests at the end of the game and delay the game a lot more.
Or maybe even make TWO releases. One release without side quests and then another release with side quests (This would mean everywhere will have to download the whole file and move their save files).
Or do not make side quests at all.

It all depends on when you want the game to be released or not and how complete you want the game to be when it's released. I'm trying not to pressure myself, but I want your thoughts on this. What do you guys think is the best idea? I can release the game sooner but it will have less side-stuff.

I added a Poll.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:54:19 AM by MarkHest »

Offline WhiteRose

• Trying to code in Ruby
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 127
  • <3
    • View Profile
Re: An important question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
Voted. I opted for two releases. Side quests would be an awesome and fun addition if you have the time to put them in, but if you're starting to grow tired of the project, might as well get a first release out there, which would also give you some feedback and motivation to go back and add additional content. :)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »
Voted two releases as well. If you game is basically done, release it. You can always release an update with additional sidequests.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: 6
  • ~That's an interesting notion, in it's own way~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:46:54 AM »
Voted the same, for basically the same reasons. I seem to use it as an example a lot, but, look what they did with Fable and The Lost Chapters. TLC added sidequests and such to the main game after the first release..
Next off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 02:10:36 AM »
I guess it's decided then. Personally I think it's a good idea as well. I'll be able to focus on the main story only and add additional stuff later without too much pressure.

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 368
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:18:16 AM »
I guess there's no reason to reply anymore.
Agreed. If side-quests were an essential part of your game, then I'd hold off the release. But as you stated, they are available at the end of the game. So it's more like filler/challenges rather than story-driven/necessary.

(click to show/hide)
NNID: KK20-CP

Offline Heretic86

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
I vote One Version.

If you release something that is Crap, everyone will remember that it was Crap when you initially released it, even if you fix every problem it has later.  Minor bugs here and there are acceptable, but something like that could be viewed as Totally Flawed.

Might want to take advice from the Masters of Delay: Valve.  Now where's that Half Life 2 Episode 3 again?  mmmhmmm

"A Game is only late until it is released, but a Bad Game is Bad Forever."

Take your time and DO IT RIGHT.  Right meaning the Final Product YOU are happy with, even if it constitutes delays.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 05:39:47 AM »
I agree, Heretic86. What you say makes a lot of sense! :)

I've been thinking a bit actually. I will make secret dungeons and such for this game but the need for side-quests is just... kind of dead. There really is no need for side quests exept to fill in much of the humor that was lost as I changed the main story. But as I said, this will be in the end of the game since the game world is changing all the time. I'm really starting to think that side-quests will play a really minior role in this game...

I will make a new game after The Missing Part - (Title Missing) and side-quests will be A LOT more needed there. That game will actually be quite free to move around in, so making a mission board specifically for side-quests that become avavible as you play through the story is just sounding so much better to me. I get to save ideas and make it interesting.

I might actually take away side-quests completely. The game is just too bound by its story and how things keep changing all the time.

It's really hard to decide...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:42:03 AM by MarkHest »

Offline MarkHest

• Astral Trancist
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
Re: Side-Quests?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:47:43 AM »
Reviving this topic by saying that the game will not have any sidequests.

The game is way to dynamic to make them a key part of the game. This idea will instead move on to my project AFTER this one where I will take all things I learned from making this project and upgrading them further. There WILL be secret dungeons though, each one having their own secret plot. The game in general will be very linear and story driven. Hopefully the story will be captivating enough to keep it interesting.

So this cuts the production time of the project by a GREAT deal. I'd also say it increases the quality of the game itself because the stuff I make will be more focused on the main things instead of making everything half-assed because I got lazy or lost motivation.

I have been making some progress on the game itself but there is still some work that needs to be done. I might even request the help with some stuff like graphics, maping, designing. So if anyone is feeling up for it, you could help the project grow faster. I might make another topic about this, we'll see.

• Side Quests - no
  • Secret Dungeons - a few

This is the final decision.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:53:40 AM by MarkHest »

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 199
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
Re: A question regarding side-quests...
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 07:01:38 AM »
Interesting, I can definitely get behind that decision.  Besides the practical reasons, I personally think that side quests often end up detracting from most story-driven games, as they prevent the main story from progressing and can make the player lose interest.  I think side quests work best when both the main story and the game are on a much larger scale, with multiple arcs/acts/sections, as these types of games are more geared towards exploration and character growth and less about advancing a specific plot point.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
Re: Side-Quests?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »
I agree with winkio. If you think that side quests would reduce the overall quality of the game or distract the player, you should go for it. Especially if time is also a factor (I mean if you can reduce production time greatly).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.