Author Topic: "Hack Detected" warning?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Erudessa

• Total Beginner
  • LV: 0
    • View Profile
"Hack Detected" warning?
« on: February 01, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »
For some odd reasons the game says "Hack Detected" whenever I am attempting run the game through Steam.
However, I just can't see a logical reason why it's claiming that I am using hacking software while I am not using any sort of Hacking software?
Anyone else experienced this while using Steam to run the game instead of using the launcher?

Yesterday night I was able to play on the server just fine, but this was without Steam Overlay...

(Hopefully it's not reserving an unneeded ban, since Steam Overlay is curtainly not a hacking software, but a community for gamers around the world
Technically this message me off the game :/)

Offline G_G

• Green Gmod Game_Guy AKA G4 AKA hyper-G AKA G-force
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 407
    • View Profile
Re: "Hack Detected" warning?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:06:56 PM »
The Steam software injects a DLL into the software. The program he uses to pack everything together probably detects DLL injections, which are normally used to cheat (mostly in MMOs anyways) so it's probably setting off an alarm. Best bet, just launch it normally.

Offline Erudessa

• Total Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »
Just tried that, and still claiming "Hack Detected."
Any options?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:21:22 PM by Erudessa »

Offline G_G

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »
Maybe after it detected DLL injenction, it created a file locally saying there's been a hack detected and preventing you from playing the game. Could always just your AppData folder.

EDIT: Just noticed, that GameGuard popped up. GameGuard will also detect processes running in the background. Check for CheatEngine or anything of the sorts, maybe try closing Steam while you play this. GameGuard can be very picky.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:22:32 PM by gameus »

Offline Erudessa

• Total Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »
Actually I am pretty sure a Permanent ban may follows as I've been reading the rules: (definitely logged on the server or GMs)

Code: [Select]
4. No hacking:
Hacking and cheating is strictly prohibited. Any kind of program that modifies the normal way of gameplay is considered a hack.This includes bots. Breaking this rule will lead to a permanent ban.

Even a reboot didn't fixed it... :/
At first I though, maybe MalwareBytes Pro is giving it troubles? > Nope... wasn't the blame after all.
The only apps I have open are: Firefox browser, Steam, Windows Live Mail, Skype, iTunes, Dropbox and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I just can't imagine how those programs can be target as a possible hack to the game...
Yesterday night there was nothing wrong... Until I relogged just a few minutes ago to continue where I left off.

The warning keeps popping up after a second of 20 or so :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:40:23 PM by Erudessa »

Offline Erudessa

• Total Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 06:01:34 PM »
From the looks of it, the warning has ceased for now.
Hopefully it will remain that way :s

Offline G_G

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:38:40 AM »
I'll repeat myself again. Steam is not considered a hack, but when something like GameGuard detects that a DLL has been injected, it considers it a hack. Steam injects the DLL to give a program that Steam overlay for non-Steam applications. That's what probably set it off.

Offline WhiteRose

• Trying to code in Ruby
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 127
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
I actually got a "Hack Detected" warning myself, right at the beginning of the intro, when Oak is speaking. I wasn't running the game through Steam or anything else. Of course, it continued working even after the pop-up, but I thought it was a little strange.

Offline G_G

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 06:06:08 AM »
Odd. Probably GameGuard (which can be a really picky program) detected a process it didn't like. I honestly wouldn't know otherwise.

Offline Ryex

• Arctic Bird of Programming
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 197
  • Wants to write a compiler for fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »
I got it too, the only thing I can think that would of provoked it would possibly be Display fusion which adds a button the the top of windows to switch which screen they are on
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline WhiteRose

• Trying to code in Ruby
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 127
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 06:28:49 AM »
I was thinking about it, and it actually might be Flux. It doesn't do anything but color the display to match the time of day, but it might have set GameGuard off.

Offline G_G

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
Back when I played this Bots MMO, they used GameGuard. It got to the point to where I wouldn't want to play the game because of the annoyances. Any process it didn't like, it forced Bots to shutdown. I wish is was programmed a bit more freely. Or at list had a whitelist of processes that modified programs.

Offline Aegisrox

• Transcended Spirit
  • LV: 6
  • Looking for inner peace, together with all :3
    • View Profile
    • Pokemon Remexos
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
In fact this is a problem on some versions on windows, it says "hack detected" but you only have to put "okay" and keep playing.

Don't worry about the ban, is it is a real hack, the game will close directly and there is when send a warning to the server.

I will be fixing this for next version.

Thanks to inform ;)
Crushing girls in the vanishing point......