[XP]The Legend of Zelda - Eternal Struggle

Started by MetalZelda, March 18, 2014, 08:55:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalZelda

Hello everyone, yeah that's my first time I'm posting my project here so I can have new feedback compared to other forums. And knowing that here there are 'professional' makers. Well pardon me if you don't clearly understand, but I'm French and I'm trying as hard as I can do to write in correct English without translator.

Okay, so, here's my game I'm working on since 2011, called The Legend of Zelda : Eternal Struggle. This project was on every Zelda Engine imaginable for RPG Maker XP. And now I'm using the Project Zelda Engine powered with XAS ABS 3.91 Hero Edition.

First of all, let me thank some person that helped me in this project :
    - SilentResident, Baffou, ChakanEvil, MaximusMaxy, NightRunner, Jon Bon : Project Zelda Engine Staff
    - Blizzard : Some of his script was and still are useful, even with XAS
    - Jibtou : Gameplay, and some art
    - Daru13 : HUD design
    - LittleDrago : Same for Blizzard, his script are plug and play for XAS, most of them.
    - You, who's reading this : for wasting your time to read the thread.
    - Zeth, DeathBasket : Gave me motivation for this project, and give me some advice. RIP their project.
    - Zephir : Hosting the video with me
    - Euclid : Maker of Parallel World, which was my starting base fot this project.
    - Zelda Solarus Team : Help
    - Some Youtubers for the musics used
    - Enterbrain for RPG Maker
    - Moghunter for XAS (Even if I want XAS 4 SO BAD)
    - Nintendo : For the Zelda Franchise
    - Mah friends : Give me advices

~~Introduction~~

The Legend of Zelda : Eternal Struggle was, first a little project to determine my skills at RPG Maker and game making in general.
It turned drastically in a huge and ambitious project back in 2011, when 1 night, I was talking with a friend that told me his idea about how he would see a fan game about Zelda.
It is, for me a big tribute to the Zelda series, as the game took most of all Zelda in 1 game for the moment.
I'm not going to hide it, but the development of the game is very frustrating, as it is for every maker I guess. So that's why sometimes it took times for me to update. But I really hope that this project would interest some players. Zelda fan or not.
For this game, I'm really concerned and focusing in Gameplay part. Because a game isn't great for the graphics, it is great for the gameplay and the environment. 

~~Story~~

At the dawn of their 12th anniversary, all young boy, receive the Hero's Tunic, made by their best friend. It was Link's Birthday, and he received a Hero Tunic from Byrna, his best friend. Everything was calm and peaceful. Until Link's Uncle, Talon tell Link about his bad feelings he has earlier. Next morning, Link goes to help the farmer of Timoria's Village, and finish his day by seeing Byrna at the Water Source.
Next day, Link have to fight monsters that appeared last night. Talon was right. Link have to find a sword to fight all of these monsters. And next morning, Byrna got kidnapped, Vaati send Link to the Forbidden Jail and kill Talon. The quest for finding Byrna begin.
But surprise ... Zelda got kidnapped by Ganondorf after Link recover all 3 Sacred Crystals.
Before that, Zelda tells you that before finding Byrna, you have to be accepted by the 3 goddess by recovering all 8 medallions. And restore the Sacred Blade : The Eternal Sword to ban Vaati and Ganondorf once and for all, and that was the reason they kidnapped Byrna.

~~Characters~~
Who doesn't know Zelda Characters ?

Spoiler: ShowHide

Link : The main hero of the game, and of Zelda Series in general. His goal is to go into dungeon, beat bosses, and recover peace by facing the evil.

Vaati : One of the villain of the game

Talon : He always wakes you up, and he trains Link for learning how to Master the sword, unless he dies

Smith : He's the Blacksmith of the Village

Byrna : Link's Best Friend

The King of Hyrule : Daphné Termina Enderson II

Aria : The Miss I know everything ... She tells you what you need to know, she's useful for some path finding such as the 1st dungeon entrance

Sage : Anciant guardians of Hyrule that would help Link to send Ganondorf and Vaati in the Sacred Realm at the very end.

Ganondorf : Main villain of the game, responsive of everything.

Epona : Link's Companion, rescued by Romani after being send in the jail by Vaati

~~General~~

The Dungeon List - Note : Not done yet means that they are not made yet, but they are drawn in some sheets.

- Forbidden Jail (Only 1 visit, after you can't re-enter it) -> Infiltration, sorta -> DONE

Sacred Crystal Quest
   - Forsaken Wood -> DONE
   - Goron's Sanctuary -> WIP
   - Zora's Cavern -> WIP

- Hyrule Castle 1st visit -> 80% DONE

Medalion Quest
   - Temple of the Woods -> Not Started Yet
   - Fire Temple -> WIP
   - Earth Temple -> NOT STARTED YET
   - Water Temple -> BARELY STARTED -> Prototype
   - Tower of Judgement -> WIP
   - Shadow Temple -> NOT STARTED YET
   - City in the Sky -> 40% DONE
   - Light Temple -> 20% DONE

To the end (Listed as a group but it's 1 dungeon splitted in 3 parts) - Not done yet
   - Dark Hyrule Castle
   - The Purgatory (Refight EVERY boss to get off this dark area and then fight Ganon)
   - Hyrule Castle Tower

Side Quest Dungeon : - Not Done Yet
   - Dungeon of Rememberance -> ALTTP Dungeon remaked into the game
   - Deku Tree -> Hidden Temple in a Hidden Place

~~Screenshot / Video / Trailers~~

Video :

ScreenShots (Various state from development)

Who is this girl ... Meh, here she act like a placeholder, but she have a use in the begining of the game, important ...

One of a minigame : Retro World

Release Date : End 2014 - February 2015

Zexion

Definately adding this to my MUST PLAY list. :P

G_G

This looks like it's got a good chunk of progress already done. I'm wondering, do you plan on doing an English translation?

MetalZelda

Quote from: gameus on March 18, 2014, 09:25:25 am
This looks like it's got a good chunk of progress already done. I'm wondering, do you plan on doing an English translation?

English translation is planned, the game itself support multilanguage and the language can be selected in the File Selection menu :)

Quote from: Zexion on March 18, 2014, 09:17:59 am
Definately adding this to my MUST PLAY list. :P

Hehe thanks, glad you like the game ^^

G_G

Sweet. looking forward to it, keep up the work.

Wizered67

This looks amazing, and Vaati has always been one of my favorite LoZ characters. Can't wait to play!

Blizzard

I seriously hope that it will be in English. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

StorocnekXx

wow!
This looks awesome!
The art is great, the idea is great of course and it looks so promissing!
To bad I speak not a single french word, but as you said there will hopefully be a english version.
Please, continue this awesome piece of art! :)
I may have a lot of ideas to use, but I have no idea how to use them.

KK20

My childhood was unfortunately devoid of Zelda. But I'd be more than willing to try this out.
Nicely presented and polished ;)

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

MetalZelda

Quote from: KK20 on March 19, 2014, 01:18:40 pm
My childhood was unfortunately devoid of Zelda. But I'd be more than willing to try this out.
Nicely presented and polished ;)

That's a crime if you want my opinion xD, who never played Zelda back in our childhood ?
Btw thanks ^^

Quote from: StorocnekXx on March 19, 2014, 06:46:18 am
wow!
This looks awesome!
The art is great, the idea is great of course and it looks so promissing!
To bad I speak not a single french word, but as you said there will hopefully be a english version.
Please, continue this awesome piece of art! :)

That's not a problem I (try) to speak English ^^, and yes, there will be an english version of the game :).

Quote from: Blizzard on March 18, 2014, 04:53:03 pm
I seriously hope that it will be in English. xD

It will be in Japanese first xD nah just kidding,.
It would be French -> English -> Other languages.

Blizzard

Then I'll definitely play it. I love Zelda. I just got the ROM for A Link between Worlds, but I'm too busy to play it for at least a week or two.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

MetalZelda

Quote from: Blizzard on March 22, 2014, 09:55:21 am
Then I'll definitely play it. I love Zelda. I just got the ROM for A Link between Worlds, but I'm too busy to play it for at least a week or two.

Ahaaa, you got ALBW, you should play it in a quick, it's definately a great Zelda ^^

jake271000

Hello MetalZelda Im new to this forum. but I have been following Eternal struggle on the others forums... I am just curious as to if you have decided to switch over to C++/LUA like you said or did you go back to Rpg maker.

Blizzard

How's this actually coming along? There haven't been any updates in some time.

jake271000

Last I Heard Blizzard he switched engines, ans was going to migrate to the solarus engine. I do not know if he went back to XP or is still useing solarus

MetalZelda

It is going well, there's plenty of unseen content as of today. I might release a demo dear december including the 4 first dungeon ^^

jake271000

I am curious as to what engine you are useing MetalZelda...have you decided to keep useing the RPG maker PZE or are you useing the solarus Engine...plus maybe you can help me out on something.. You see I'm useing Rpg maker and Project Zelda Engine 4.3, I need to know how to set up being revived by a fairy that you have caught.

MetalZelda

Quote from: jake271000 on October 19, 2014, 03:47:09 pm
I am curious as to what engine you are useing MetalZelda...have you decided to keep useing the RPG maker PZE or are you useing the solarus Engine...plus maybe you can help me out on something.. You see I'm useing Rpg maker and Project Zelda Engine 4.3, I need to know how to set up being revived by a fairy that you have caught.

I'm using a the same engine, Project Zelda Engine, but the source code was heavily customized for a stable framerate. I got a 25 FPS but it is pretty much more playable than RPG Maker's default 25 FPS lags.
There's around 20 events that's stop animated in this screen, Lamps that displays loop animations at night, BGS increaser and Sound setup (Music effect and BGM)

Next up : Hyrule Castle exterior

This is in French but English would be available as well.

Let's go save Hyrule for Zelda's Sake (Hyrule Castle Entrance)

Keep in mind that Hyrule Castle exteriors are mostly prototypes and might change
Damn that's hard to present a project without spoiling locations  :naughty:

MetalZelda

Okay, it's been a while since there aren't got any news on the project (1 year).
The project isn't dead, in fact, I have moved to another engine (and I don't know if the project need to be moved to "Non-RPG Maker games") and faced everything irl.
The game is now made on the Solarus Engine since October 2015 (mostly due to the RPG Maker's limitations).

Here is a sneek peak of what has been currently done in the project so far, everything from the old project is going to be coded in glorious Lua with mostly improvement on the gameplay compared to the RPG Maker counterpart.

MetalZelda

February 08, 2017, 07:53:23 pm #19 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:05:21 pm by MetalZelda
Okay, This is it, 2017 might be the release year of Zelda ES, made with Solarus. This is planned for Q4 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqFgnIZfPyw

One of the latest addition for the game is widescreen support, you can play the game in meh 4:3 (320x240), glorious 16:9(400x240) or godlike 16:10 (432x240), they looks good, even on very huge screens, plus, you have access to hqx shaders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4617ygC6f88

The latest addition to date is the new custom fog system, kinda like the RPG Maker one with some subtilitie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yia2Xy_U3_g

The maps are a hell lot more enjoyable, thanks to the layering system Solarus offers, the Lua scripting breaks the limits RPG maker had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oklQ4xM30Lw

This is how you use the bow / hookshot / etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7VFjD4lh0

Multilanguage is supported thanks to the Solarus language handling system, Japanese characters are supported
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH5JShjWQkw (Texts might be wrong, google translate used for test)

Blizzard

I think you mixed up 16:10 and 16:9, because the latter is the one that's wider. xD

I understand the nostalgia of using A+C-buttons for the ocarina display, but won't this be a problem when playing with a keyboard? Also, I'm not sure what control scheme you want to use since the top right GUI is not the classic N64 from what I can tell. So this mix-up is a bit confusing. You shouldn't use things just for nostalgia's sake if they look weird in your game.

I also understand the nostalgia of having the day/night display in the bottom center, but you should consider that Majora's Mask was a 3D game where a GUI element like that doesn't really cover up anything important on the screen. But your game is a 2D game so it does cover quite a bit of the screen and it might be difficult to see and fight enemies properly like that. I suggest you put it in the bottom right corner at least and may reduce its size a bit, too. BUt my best suggestion, if you really want to keep track of time in the game, is to put together a completely original GUI element that doesn't take as much space and put it in the bottom right corner.

I noticed you have some font troubles, particularly the lower T character. IDK if you can fix this reliably since it depends on the font rendering system and the font itself.

I really hope the English translation is good. xD

MetalZelda

Quote from: Blizzard on February 09, 2017, 02:40:01 am
I think you mixed up 16:10 and 16:9, because the latter is the one that's wider. xD

I understand the nostalgia of using A+C-buttons for the ocarina display, but won't this be a problem when playing with a keyboard? Also, I'm not sure what control scheme you want to use since the top right GUI is not the classic N64 from what I can tell. So this mix-up is a bit confusing. You shouldn't use things just for nostalgia's sake if they look weird in your game.

I also understand the nostalgia of having the day/night display in the bottom center, but you should consider that Majora's Mask was a 3D game where a GUI element like that doesn't really cover up anything important on the screen. But your game is a 2D game so it does cover quite a bit of the screen and it might be difficult to see and fight enemies properly like that. I suggest you put it in the bottom right corner at least and may reduce its size a bit, too. BUt my best suggestion, if you really want to keep track of time in the game, is to put together a completely original GUI element that doesn't take as much space and put it in the bottom right corner.

I noticed you have some font troubles, particularly the lower T character. IDK if you can fix this reliably since it depends on the font rendering system and the font itself.

I really hope the English translation is good. xD

Keyboard binding is customizable as well as the joypad binding, there would be no problem with it.
The default commands will be:

D: Pause
X, V : Items
C: Attack
W: Minimap
Q: Quick item selector
Space: Action
Arrows: Movement

Yet, these are defaults, of course, in game, they are customizable, there is a message when you first start the game that encourage you to set your own bindings, and they are modifiable through the in-game pause menu.

For the HUD, I might look for something else, but the native resolution (4:3) doesn't give a lot of liberties on object placement, or else I could make somethng to make the player to decide where he wants the icon to be displayed.

Concerning the clock, it doesn't take that much place, at least in widescreen, I liked the Majora's 64 clock and I need to modify something for it.

And about the "t" letter, this is due to the font itself, I should take a look at this and modify it's height

English translation is currently approximative, but I have a good translator in hand, text is not my current priority.