[XP] Cry of the Forbidden Ones

Started by Dark_Kyu09, April 28, 2014, 11:45:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark_Kyu09

Thought I should post this. This is actually my secondary project (my primary game project is Rakenzarn Tales). It's still under development.

The game is based on Umineko no Naku Koro Ni and mostly takes place in an alternate reality. In addition, there are also certain elements and characters from the Forgotten Realms series.

Story
Spoiler: ShowHide
The story takes place in the year 1990 where the realms of magic exists, but no one seems to be aware of it except for a very few people. Demons are capable of hunting humans without being seen, mages abuse their magic for their personal gains, a shadowy conspiracy working in secrets... It is indeed a world of chaos.

Fortunately, there are those who execute and right the wrongs. Enter the Ludicium Magicum, an organization that enforces and protect the law of both realms, mainly keeping secret from the real world as the people aren't ready to learn such existence. They usually send their 'Agents' and 'Inquisitors' to execute any beings that are considered as threats, arrest mages who abuse their gifts, etc.

You play as Kanon, the newest member and the youngest of the Ludicium Magicum. His past is shrouded in mystery and he can't remember anything from his past. His descent into the world of magic will force him to face ominous demons, witches, dark mages, and mysterious servants with magical properties known as Furniture while uncovering his past.

Main characters

Kanon

The 16-year-old boy who is the newest member of the organization. He possesses a mysterious gift that allow him to fight both supernatural and magic property. His primary weapon is a laser blade that he can summon with his bare hands.

As the game progresses, Kanon can use different variety of his laser blade, ranging from a long scythe to twin blades.

Khelben Blackstaff Arunsun
One of the most renowned Archmages from the Forgotten Realm series. He's actually from another realm but is tasked to be the leader of the Ludicium Magicum.

For those who don't know about the Forgotten Realms, it's actually a campaign for the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) fantasy role-playing game. It's quite interesting with its stories and realms, which will play a role in the story.

Elise
The main character's Familiar in a form of a European Robin. She acts as the main character's voice of reason and guide as she tutors him. She's a bit sarcastic as she tends to insult the Rookie though she'll start to warm up to him.

Gabriel Cunningham
A veteran agent of the Ludicium Magicum and the main character's mentor. He's a smooth, slick type of character who has very bad luck with women. He's also quite fascinated with Japanese culture.

His appearance is that of a young man in his early 30s. He has a short, black, messy hair wearing a white T-Shirt with a trench coat and blue jeans.

Catherine
An agent of the Ludicium Magicum. She is a young woman who has some experience in combat. She wields a rapier.

Other characters from Umineko will also make their appearances in the game, but later on.

Features/Gameplay
The game will feature dark, gothic atmosphere with few elements of the supernatural and magic. Not to mention, a few references to the horror genre.

It mostly takes place in Europe with London being the main hub. The Rookie's home is an apartment owned by another member of the Ludicium Magicum.

The game will be part visual novel through Kanon's point of view as you go explore and solve various murders committed in the most bizarre (and sometimes downright disturbing) ways. It's also part RPG with dark, horror element mixed into it using Tigurus Fay's One-Player Battle system as you battle against a variety of enemies. There will be a total of five episodes with each takes place in different locations. In the very beginning, only one episode is unlocked. You have to complete one to unlock the other episodes. Other characters from the series will also make their appearances in the game.

There will also be a crafting system, inspired by the Forging System from Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. It allows players to create items and armors through forgery in "workshops," which are located throughout the episodes. Other times, it can allow Kanon to forge his energy blade; players can upgrade it and even change forms ranging from a standard blade to demonic claws. By defeating enemies, players can gain materials, which can be used to create new items in crafting. However, some materials can be only bought in shops.

Other feature includes dialogue trees that result in different outcomes (something I'm bringing back from my previous game project), face portraits for major characters in dialogue, and various music from the visual novel.

Screenshots

Episode selection

The character is created through Anonymous D.'s anime character creator

The battle system

So what do you think with this game's concept and story?

This is all I can show for now.
Never give up your dreams, keep moving on until you make it happen.

HydrangeaX

i've read the story, and already played the first version of rakenzarn.. both are pretty good in terms on character personality development and the story narrations.

despite being a completely mixed up character's that usually can lead to a disasterous result of a story, it managed to keep the balance of each character personality that make's them not completely out of character.

cry of the forbidden one's is an old fic no? despite there's not having any continuation, it still intrigues me to keep watch of the story :D.
If there will be the next mytery novel games like  Cry of the forbidden ones, i completely go for it!