[XP] System for Delayed Attacks?

Started by Soulstuckgunner, May 06, 2014, 01:15:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulstuckgunner

Hello there everyone.  I'm trying to work on several skills that all work on the same principle.  A delayed attack.  Essentially, the attack would be very similar to the doom status effect, where upon using the initial skill, it would place a timer on the enemy it was used on.  Once the timer ran out, however, instead of killing the opponent outright the way that Doom does, these delayed attacks would simply deal a chunk of damage.  So basically, weaker Doom.

In attempting to work on this, I stumbled across this tutorial: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/9361-delayed-effects-in-combat/ and I've been following it as best I can.  It seems to be working up until the actual damage phase, where the "Targeted by X" effect disappears from the enemy without dealing any damage.  That tutorial I'm following is for VX Ace, which explains why it might not work and how there would be a disconnect, but in the event that the disconnect is so massive that it's completely prevented from working on XP, what event systems and conditional branches could I use to achieve this effect?  Thank you for reading!

KK20

Worked fine for me. I made it so that the state is removed from the target after the forced action rather than immediately after the 3rd turn. Also, did you make sure that your impact skill targets one enemy?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Soulstuckgunner

May 06, 2014, 07:37:11 pm #2 Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:05:34 am by KK20
I just did that, but I'm still not getting any attack.  Admittedly the first time I had neglected to give the impact a target.  But now that I have, it's still not going.  Since Troop Events isn't a specific option in RPG Maker XP, I assume you just started working with the individual event pages that each troop is given?  Also, I'm unable to uncheck "set handling conditions" when subtracting the operand of 1 from the Countdown as that doesn't seem to be an option on this particular screen in XP.  Is there any way you could post screenshots of your process or something so I could see what I'm missing?

EDIT:
Nevermind actually! I got it working!  Thank you for your assistance!

EDIT 2:
Actually, another question.  If this skill is given to an enemy, do you think it might work just as well?  Or would there be some tweaks to make?  If so, what are they?

KK20

Holy triple post Batman!
Please click the Modify button in your last post should you wish to add more within a 24 hour time frame.

I'm pretty sure this should work fine for the enemy as well--of course with different variables and switches. Just be sure to make it so that the enemy (and the player as well) can't repeatedly use the skill every turn and thereby delaying (and ruining) the skill's effect. To combat this, use this script I made. Give the user a status ailment (or turn on a switch, whichever works best for you) to prevent the skill from being used again.

If you want to be able to use the skill multiple times but still keep the intended design, that'll take some extra effort and way more variables. A script would be so much more preferred at this point.

*looks around* I'd be willing to give it a shot when I'm not knee-deep in school projects.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Soulstuckgunner

Super sorry about that!  :^_^': Yeah, still getting used to these boards.  But that sounds awesome! I've actually gotten it to work with enemies.  Both this and a variation of it actually.  But there are still tweaks I'd like to mess with, like an upgraded version that doesn't disappear when the user is KO'ed.  Or vice versa if this one already does that.  Either way, thank you for your time and I would love to see the script if you ever get around to it!