Nintendo is dead to me (mostly).

Started by Spaceman McConaughey, May 24, 2014, 08:39:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman McConaughey

So, yeah, I dunno how much of you will agree with my frustrations, but meh:

I mean, they're not COMPLETELY dead to me... but they're getting so close.
It's at the point that when I get a Wii U, it will be my final Nintendo console I buy (minus old systems for my collection), and that's only for a few reasons.
Zelda U*, SSB4, Hyrule Warriors*, USB loading GC games, misc. games and that's all.

* I may not like how they're whoring the series out and neglecting other franchises, but fuck, I still love Zelda and I'm still getting the game since it IS coming.

I want to love them as much as I always have, but fuck.
I dunno.

I have a feeling, though, I may regret making this post and video. Who knows!

Blizzard

May 24, 2014, 09:28:45 am #1 Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:32:52 am by Blizzard
So they decided to make a Zelda after all? They were totally against it in the beginning, but I guess that they realized that without their cash cows, they will have serious problems competing with the PS4 and Xbox One.

EDIT: LMAO, I love your Japanese accent.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

May 24, 2014, 09:37:51 am #2 Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:39:06 am by Colonel Blinx
I think they announced there will be a Wii U Zelda last year, they just haven't revealed it yet.
Hyrule Warriors is also a spinoff, or something, so it's not THE Zelda U.

Honestly, if there's any series they refuse to make a game for, it's either Star Fox or F-Zero (Metroid too, but not it's not as bad off as these two).
I just really want a new Star Fox already. And Star Fox 64 3D just doesn't cut it, either.

I mean, not to sound entitled, or anything.
When you love a series so much and it's been so dead for so long, it becomes very frustrating.
And mix that with other stupid shit Nintendo does now, and you really just lose faith in them.

EDIT:
Lol, thanks.
The more stereotypical, the better, I say. :naughty:
Mmm, time to actually sleep now.

Blizzard

Even though Nintendo does keep rehashing their games, this is what makes it fun. Playing Zelda is not an experience like "not yet another Zelda", but was always like "wow, they made the Zelda Universe even more interesting this time". I also think it's stupid from them not to make the games that everybody loves, because that's exactly why Nintendo fans are fans in the first place.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

R.A.V.S.O

I have mixed feelings with nintendo....

I mean we've got both the 3DS and the Wii U.

3DS is booming with some good titles to play, meanwhile Wii U is doing rather poorly either because no good titles have appeared yet or it just never
was that much of a big thing in the eyes of others etc...

but what gets to me is how in order rescue the Wii U, Nintendo has seemingly wasted or misused possibly good ideas,

for example,(this one also doubles as a small personal rant) we got the eshop on both right?

as of right now, the eshop holds pre-existing titles and some exclusives per console, but what caught my attention is how GBA titles
are exclusive for Wii U, 3DS eshop only has GB/GBC (and some NES) titles.

but putting small stuff aside what I believe is the biggest obstacle on the part of Nintendo is how they never seem to take their eyes off their
"main structural support pillars" (a.k.a Mario & Zelda series)
sure both are great, there's tons of content and the fan-fueled hype train is never far off, but what happened to other series? Metroid, Starfox,
Golden Sun, F-Zero (I cry myself to sleep with the last one)....

aside from cameos every now and then the series themselves are either slowly being updated or simply being forgot
(Kid Icarus is an example of a once forgotten game that got revived and buffed by Mad Scientist Sakurai (thanks btw,) and thus shows the potential
things Nintendo could make if they gave secondary series a chance. )

then again I've always wanted to see whatever happened after Metroid Fusion or GS: Dark Dawn, so I guess part of why this feels like a bad move from
nintendo is mostly because some of us get rather disillusioned when a series simply dies and is forgotten, add a new person to nintendo and they'll probably
won't find anything wrong with it, at least that's what I think.

as of right now I believe, the 3DS is nintendo's safety net while they whip the Wii U back in shape, hopefully the incoming E3 will give us reasons not to
abandon Nintendo's Wii U.

Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

orochii

Save Wii U by giving it a standard controller. Or standard Wii's nunchuk (which Microsoft and Sony have been trying so hard to copy, and, by far, failed miserably). I know they like to be creative. But this time, creativity didn't gave them good results. That tablet is too expensive, and no 3rd party wants to try and think what the hell can they do with it. Something they need.

Also that E-Shop thing seems pretty stupid too. I think they're saving a lot of games for remakes, much like OoT3D. Cost more than a virtual console release (for us), and the investment is rather low compared to a brand new game.
I'm pretty sure that 3DS could run games up to N64, and probably even GameCube (3DS has a 1.2Ghz DualCore ARM11 and a 350MhzGPU, while GC has PowerPC Gekko at 485Mhz and 162Mhz ATI GPU. I say, why not?).

Spaceman McConaughey

May 24, 2014, 07:50:36 pm #6 Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:52:38 pm by Colonel Blinx
Quote from: orochii on May 24, 2014, 06:50:21 pm
(which Microsoft and Sony have been trying so hard to copy, and, by far, failed miserably)

...Sony had the idea first.

EDIT:

PS Move definitely isn't something they just copied from Nintendo, they had it in concept for a long time.

Heretic86

Nintendo needs to realize that their heads are buried in their own collective assholes.  All they are doing with their consoles is coming out with shit that is flat out based on Gimmicks.  The success of the Wii and failure of the Wii U was mostly because the Gimmick worked, but only for a short period of time.  The Wii was cool because it came with a solid game.  The Wii U sounds way too much like the Wii which still inspires waves of confusion that the two consoles are different.  Dont even get me started with the Wii U controller.  What a piece of fucking dog shit.

But what is innovative for one game can not be transferred to another.  For example, motion controls for throwing a bowling ball does not translate int a good role playing game.  Their biggest problem is they are trying to force every developer, both first and third party, to incorporate these gimmicks that only work on one game.  I have a Wii, but never bought a Wii U.  And of the handful of games that I did buy, they all felt like they were trying to tack on the gimmick of Wii Bowling into their mechanics.  Even Metroid 3 felt weird.  Dont get me wrong, the first person aspect was definitely a plus for that situation, but not every game is supposed to use either the Bowling or First Person Shooter mechanic without actually detracting from the gameplay.

There is really only about three games on the Wii that actually held my interest.  Sports, Metroid, and Zelda.  Zelda I just preferred the GameCube version.  Metroid, well, it was good, but not much replay and my arms get exceptionally tired always trying to point the fucking controller at the screen.  Then we have Sports.  Dont get me wrong, there are redeeming qualities about Sports, but of all the games it had, and its later Sports release, the only one of those Sports games that was worth two squirts of piss was Bowling.  Yet, not a single developer had half the insight to make a standalone Bowling game.

Nintendo is held back by its own innovation because not every game is going to be succesful because of a motion controller or a touch screen addon, which holds back every single game developer as well.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

WhiteRose

At the risk of being semi off-topic, I saw a screenshot today that is supposed to be from the new Zelda Wii U. (I can't remember the source or I'd share it; I just saw it as a "related article" on a site somewhere.) The woman in the picture (I'm guessing she's some sort of villain) was wearing an outfit that looked like it belongs on Ivy in Soul Calibur, or somewhere in the Dead or Alive games (possibly including the Beach Volleyball variety....) Obviously, that's not something that's going to detract from my game experience, as a grown person, but I was a little surprised that Nintendo, usually for their censoring in the past, would go that far in one of their first-party franchises that historically has been pretty family friendly. I guess if older games had been rendered in HD we might have seen a little more of this, but it was still pretty surprising. I wonder if this means that Nintendo is trying to go a little more to the "edgy" audience this time. Whatever the case, I think the game definitely has a lot of potential, so I have my fingers crossed that it will be good. (Plus my little brother has a Wii U, so I can go play it with him. :D)

(Completely and totally unrelated, remember the dark and edgy thread from a few months ago? Good times, good times. Maybe I'll have to dig that up.)

Spaceman McConaughey

WhiteRose

Quote from: Colonel Blinx on May 25, 2014, 01:40:40 am
lol
http://didyoufuckingknow.tumblr.com/post/86613633796/ive-reached-out-to-kylehedgehog1999-for-comment

It's a screenshot of Hyrule Warriors, a spinoff game.
Not the actual Zelda U.

Oh, that makes more sense. I guess I should have actually read the article. Know I feel dumb. Haha.  :shy:

Blizzard

Quote from: Heretic86 on May 24, 2014, 11:11:05 pm
The Wii U sounds way too much like the Wii which still inspires waves of confusion that the two consoles are different.

Most definitely. For a long time I didn't realize that it was a "next-gen console". I literally thought that it was just some sort of pimped up Wii. ._.

@Blinx: At that video of yours, #2 (Black & White 3) http://www.dorkly.com/post/62461/ideas-that-need-to-be-real It would be pretty awesome.

Heretic86

So if any of you were President of Nintendo and wanted to save the company, what would you do and how would you do it?
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Spaceman McConaughey

I would ditch all hardware except the 3DS, and go primarily software.
I don't care what anyone says, it would be an excellent business decision.

SEGA did it, and it saved them.
They produced games for more than just the Dreamcast, which meant plenty more people got to purchase and play them that otherwise wouldn't have been able to.
Which of course meant more money in the bank, yo. Because honestly, more customers = more money.

And then I'd have plenty of Nintendo games ported over to platforms like the PlayStation 3/4, Xbox 360/One (including last gen because the userbases are humongous), and revive dead franchises that desperately need it.

Spaceman McConaughey

Bumping, just to say:
I'm sorry, Nintendo. You've proved me wrong! ;-;

New Star Fox, at last! <3

We're BFFs again, k Nintendo?

Blizzard

They probably realized that they are losing people, lol!