Author Topic: [XP]Sin Unsullied (Full game released!)  (Read 8498 times)

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 84
  • There is a fate worse than hell
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
[XP]Sin Unsullied (Full game released!)
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:02:07 AM »

Five days until the world ends.

Dreams may be a result of sentience, but where does sentience come from?

There is another world that doesn't exist in the traditional sense of the word. Before this world drew close to humans, they were little more than tool-grasping apes. But with the gift of the mind comes a great cost. If our mind is a real place, then our nightmares are real creatures. And it's up to the small handfull of Reapers to defend humanity from the dark terrors lying just at the edges of their minds.

Sin Unsullied is an action RPG with visual novel elements. You only have five days to juggle building friendships, repairing your relationship with the woman you love, and growing stronger so you can stop the end of the world. The story changes based on your actions, so choose carefully.

You don't have enough time to experience everything in one playthrough, so be ready to choose what you really want.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Action Battle System
Jump right into the action! You'll need to be quick on your feet to survive the end of the world.

Branching Dialog
Take charge of your relationships! What you say matters in Sin Unsullied. Choose your options wisely.

Immerse Music
High quality music has been composed exclusively for Sin Unsullied creating a truly cinematic experience!

An emotional journey
Several track of high quality music has been composed exclusively for Sin Unsullied. Truly a cinematic experience!

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

To keep up to date with Sin Unsullied, go to http://pixelbards.com/

PLEASE COMMENT ON MY RPGMAKERWEB SUBMISSION PAGE
It will really help me out!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:38:50 PM by legacyblade »

Offline Spaceman McConaughey

• Legit Poo Poo Man
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 46
  • muh murph
    • View Profile
    • Titties, titties, and more titties!
Re: [XP]Sin Unsullied
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:05:17 AM »
Welcome back!
Also, this looks pretty cool. Good luck with it.

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:19:26 AM »
Aye. It's been forever hasn't it?

My online life just kinda died a few years back, and I haven't really posted on any forums since.

It feels nice to be back though o.o I need to go post in the introductions section or something. XD

BTW, this is a game I'm making for an RPG Maker contest. The deadline is the thirtieth, so I'm 100% sure I'm gonna finish this one :P I've gotten a lot better at not biting off more than a I can chew.

-edit, thanks btw. Glad you think it looks cool :3

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: 6
  • ~That's an interesting notion, in it's own way~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »
You wouldn't perchance be referring to this, now would you?

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,14209.0.html
Next off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:07:24 AM »
Indeed I would be :P It's what motivated me to reinstall RMXP. Gotta say, a visual editor is a nice change of pace to working in C++

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 06:11:30 AM »
Very cool, and yes, I agree. I work with php, css, html, and assorted javascript at work, and other than the site open in a browser (assuming it's actually a working site), the only other "interface" I have is various editors (I currently love gedit because of syntax highlighting for a huuuge assortment of languages). I'm also in the contest, mostly because I now own legal copies of XP and Ace, so I figured I might as well use them, and on top of that, I've been playing around with a few ideas for games anyways :p  Good luck on yours! I think it looks pretty good so far, and after things I've seen in your past, I think it'll turn out really well :)

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:16:57 AM »
lol. I know that feeling. My employer found out I could write code and finally took me off the marketing team. I'm building a web database for keeping track of clients and their payments. Wish I knew javascript though, lol. That'd make a lot of it easier. I personally use codelobster. You ever tried that one?

Also, which you using for your project, XP or Ace?

And thanks for the compliment :3 I work really hard on this stuff, so it's nice to hear positive feedback ^.^ Also I'm glad some people still remember Darkness Rebirth (at least that's what I'm hoping your comment on my old stuff was referring to). I plan on making it one day in my own engine XD So it'd be cool if people who remembered the old unfinished version got to see the update hand-drawn one in all it's glory.

Good luck on your project too *goes to look for your project's topic*

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »
Nice project! I like that you edited the rtp in an unusual way and the custom sprites are nice too :b

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
@Zexionm thanks :3 glad you like them.

UPDATE EVERYONE!!!

I spent the day mapping out the main character's mansion. Man did it take forever x.x There was just so much empty space to fill in. Freaking rich people.

Here are some screenies of the mansion (they just show off a tiny bit of the mapping I did today)
(click to show/hide)

I want Lee's bedroom :P

Also, I did my first nightmare graphic. The enemies in the games don't exist. They and their world are what created the human subconcious (and along with it sentience) just by existing. So they're more conceptual energy than actual beings. I decided to make them scribbles and energy. I'm not sure if I like the result. It looks a LOT more lazy than it is. It took a significant amount of time to draw that thing from every angle multiple times for battle (then deciding that particular enemy only looked intimidating from the front and scrpapped the other angels x.x)

Tell me what you think

(click to show/hide)

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »
I very much like this :D   I really like the concept that the enemies are basically a sub-struct of their subconscience.

Oh, and you mentioned a thread for my project. I have one that I'm about to copy on over to this site too =p

Offline Spiralflux

• Trained Member
  • LV: 3
  • Thread that way ----->
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
I tried redoing your enemy sprite in Photoshop for a more realistic effect, since in my opinion the pencil tool doesn't really blend in too well to make it look "distorted" and energized. I also added a dark aura, kind of like fire, around the nightmare to signify that it is indeed a nightmare.
http://puu.sh/9nkvt/3dc537af56.jpg

Just a suggestion for improving the enemies. I obviously didn't spend much time on this, so I'm sure you can do a much better job.

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 04:50:20 PM »
@PhoenixFire, glad you like the concept :3 It'll allow for a couple cool ideas I have with what to do with the plot, as well as lets me be lazy and base the enemies of standard fantasy creatures :P

And huzzah ^.^  I checked out your project thread. It sounds pretty interesting. Check your topic for my full thoughts though Xd

@SpiralFlux, Hey, thanks for putting in that much effort to give me pointers :3 I really appreciate that.

And so far, I'm getting the same vibe. Particularly at the size I'm working at for the nightmares, just pencil scribbles doesn't cut it. What you tried out is actually sorta similar to what I'm gonna do o.o Basically, I'm going to make their bodies and hair mostly normal looking, but shade their clothes out of erratic energy. I'm going to constrain the outline a bit more, and add in scribbles with black afterwards (so it still looks scribbly like I want it, but it also has more of a pleasing aesthetic). My current thought is to modify full-kaiser sprites for the nightmares, cuz I want them to be big. XD

Thanks for your suggestion though :3 I'll see what adding a dark aura to them does. ^.^

Offline Spiralflux

• Trained Member
  • Thread that way ----->
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »
No problem, let me know if you need anymore suggestions or help. :)

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
@Spiralflux, well, I took your suggestions into account with the new version :3 lemee know what ya think

@All, After taking advice from a few different people, I modified the style of the nightmares. I think it looses a bit of uniqueness, (and departs a bit from my original vision) but it's hard to argue that this doesn't look better :P
Let me know what you guys think.

I used some half-kaiser sprite pieces for the armor, then sprited in the energy and scribbles from scratch. I think this new style fits in universe a bit better than my previous itteration, as the Reapers transform into their battle outfits with similar looking blue energy (though it looks solid after transformation). My justification for magical girl transformations is that it's difficult to hurt nightmares with phsyical things. So they wrap themselves in something that's both physical and idea...energy...stuff. Still need to come up with a name for the stuff :P

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »
Is the whole reaper/nightmare thing inspired by SquareEnix? Lol :b, awesomeness if it is. Also, that sprite looks nice!

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 10:37:59 PM »
It's actually inspired by madoka magica >.> The reapers are magical girls.

What game you think I drew inspiration from? lol. I dun remember any nightmares in kingdom hearts, though I guess you could call heartless that :P I haven't played much of their other stuff.

Offline Spiralflux

• Trained Member
  • Thread that way ----->
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »
Looks MUCH better and the art style is a lot more fitting.
As for a name of the "energy" that the Reapers would use, I had two ideas: Projection or Reverie.
Projection is simpler and it's basically a vague synonym for dreams. The Reaper becomes a "projection" of themselves and thus exists beyond a physical state, able to reach Nightmares.
Reverie is just fancier and is a literal synonym for Daydreaming. Basically an antonym for Nightmare if you want to do the whole Good vs Evil contrast. Also I think it sounds more epic. :P
I can just imagine some dialogue: "Holy shit, I didn't know her Reverie looked so bad ass. It's so bright too!"

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:10 PM »
I'm not gonna call their battle forms Reverie (just gonna call it "Reaper Form"), though I'm going to call the blue energy stuff that o.o It's a cool name for it ^.^

Thanks for the idea :D

Glad you like the new Nightmares btw :3 Since I've been making them all day, they're really starting to grow on me lol.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:51:41 PM by legacyblade »

Offline Spiralflux

• Trained Member
  • Thread that way ----->
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 12:35:03 AM »
No problem man. Feel free to shoot me a message here, or add me on Skype if you ever need to talk any ideas over. Always happy to help!

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 09:23:26 AM »
@Spiralflux, alright :3 I hardly ever get on skype though, but I'll be sure to add ya next time I boot it up!

@All, Sorry for going poof! I was finishing up the first third of my game so I could present it as a demo (it ends in a dramatically appropriate part). I set a goal of getting all that done by today, so that's why I kinda dropped off the face of the earth for a few days :P

http://legacyblade.com/downloads/SinUnsullied/demos/SinUnsullied-Demo-001.zip

Please let me know what you think! If you find any bugs, typos, etc, I'd love it if you could point them out to me. Or if you just have general suggestions/criticisms, I'm open to those too! I just wanna know what everyone thinks of what I've put the past 14 or so days into XD

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 04:25:47 PM »
Lol I originally commented on the wrong project thread, but fixed.

Right off the bat I noticed something. It's nothing major, but whether you used my evented titlescreen tutorial or not, there is something I forgot to mention about the player controls. Basically just add a parallel process event that changes the player's move route to: "Wait 1 frame." Tick the repeat this action and leave the other unchecked. This will prevent the map from scrolling with the player's choices.

The main reason I didn't mention this is because I usually make the map the same size as the screen, so I never had this problem xD

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
Found a typo; so nothing major.. When you're talking to the blue fox after sparring Kai, it says "ust" instead of "just".. I'll just edit this post if I find anything else :) I really like it so far though; very well done!

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 07:05:11 PM »
Lol I originally commented on the wrong project thread, but fixed.

Right off the bat I noticed something. It's nothing major, but whether you used my evented titlescreen tutorial or not, there is something I forgot to mention about the player controls. Basically just add a parallel process event that changes the player's move route to: "Wait 1 frame." Tick the repeat this action and leave the other unchecked. This will prevent the map from scrolling with the player's choices.

The main reason I didn't mention this is because I usually make the map the same size as the screen, so I never had this problem xD

Naw, I'm using a mixture of a script I wrote (just a few script calls in the event really) and an event. But I didn't notice the player could move. Crap o.o I'll go fix that.

Found a typo; so nothing major.. When you're talking to the blue fox after sparring Kai, it says "ust" instead of "just".. I'll just edit this post if I find anything else :) I really like it so far though; very well done!

Gah! I thought I was typo free, lol. I ran every dialog box through MS Office. Guess I missed that one. Thanks for letting me know ^,^ And glad you like it!

-edit

Update! I just edited the game so that if you hold Z or Shift, a green arrow will hover above your head and point where you're supposed to go. Some of my friends kept getting lost, so I added in the feature at their request.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:30:55 AM by legacyblade »

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »
OMG OMG!!!

I FINISHED!!

There is still a lot of polishing I need to do tomorrow (spell checking) and then after the contest, but you can play the game from start to finish!!!!

Here's a link.  PLEASE try it out and tell me what you think. I want to kill as many bugs as possible before I submit it

http://legacyblade.com/downloads/SinUnsullied/SinUnsullied_B001.zip

Offline Neoend

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 2
  • Finetuning the Oasis
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
Good Job! =D
I'm still working through. I have all the pieces, I just need to assemble them now.
Hey! if you like webcomics and other fun distractions check out my site:
www.laforix.com

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:57 AM »
That was me this morning XD Just tie your legs to your chair and don't let yourself pee until you finish putting it all together. Does wonders :P

Offline G_G

• Green Gmod Game_Guy AKA G4 AKA hyper-G AKA G-force
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 407
    • View Profile
Re: [XP]Sin Unsullied (Full game released!)
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 07:35:41 PM »
Why aren't I in the credits? D:

Also, downloading now. Can't wait to play.

EDIT: Definitely need to fix this.

(click to show/hide)

If you can, it looks fine when he goes downstairs.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:41:59 PM by gameus »

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 07:53:41 PM »
You are in the credits o.o

Well, at least at the end of the game.

Crap. Forgot to update the credits on the forum topic!

As for that bug, I'm working on fixing it right now.

Also, copy "045-Skill02" into your icons folder. I fixed that on my end, but I'm running through to fix a few other bugs before I upload a fixed version.

Offline G_G

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »
I'm really enjoying it so far. About 30 minutes into the game. I'll keep posting bugs if I catch anymore.

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »
Ok sweet :D And btw, I just fixed the stairs bug, as well as a bug where if you saved in the hub, then loaded, your party would be following you (even when you were next to the event of them you could interact with). So if you find that one, I've got it covered XD

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
I submitted the game :D

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/446

Now I'm going to update all my topics with updated information and screenshots :P

Here's the updated version of the game, by the way.

THIS one should be completely free of bugs.

http://legacyblade.com/downloads/SinUnsullied/SinUnsullied_B002.zip

If you find anything wrong with it, PLEASE tell me. I've got a few hours before the deadline, so I can still implement bug fixes!

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »
THIS one should be completely free of bugs.

Said every programmer ever. xD

I haven't got a chance to play it yet (not sure if I will anytime soon ._.), but the new screenshots look pretty good. How much playtime would you say it has?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:34:46 PM by Blizzard »
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
I haven't got a chance to play it yet (not sure if I will anytime soon ._.), but the new screenshots look pretty good. How much playtime would you say it has?
About an hour. A little more, a little less, depending on how much you like to explore and how fast you read :3

Said every programmer ever. xD
And I know -.- And it's never in your own playthroughs that really obvious bugs pop up. "It's always, hey everyone! Check out this awesome thing!" They boot it up and a bunch of debug code spits out at them, followed by a crash :P All because you forgot to set one boolean back to false or something.

-edit
also, HOLY FREAK HOLY FREAK! Blizzard is commenting on my project!!!

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »
LMAO, it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I totally know. It literally happened to me today at work. We're starting the beta testing of Kingdom Tales 2 tomorrow. We won't have enough machines for all the testers so we figured we'll just compile an iOS version so one or two of them can test on an iPad. Of course, because iPad's interface it a touch interface, I had to activate and check some code that we already used in Kingdom Tales. Everything worked fine. It was no surprise since the engine hasn't gone many important changes and I basically took the code from the first game and started modifying it for the second game so most touch-specific code was just commented out and I reactivated it.

When Kreso finally had the build ready today, I found a bug in the first 10 seconds. -_- When tapping on the task displays, they wouldn't show a popup with the description. It turns out that the bug is also present in KT1 so it's not a new thing. In the mobile GUI of KT1 we used a button plus a popup window with all tasks so no one seems to have noticed the bug in the tablet/desktop GUI, lol! Oh, and it worked fine when using a mouse since a different subsystem is used (hovering with the cursor over the GUI element instead of tapping it) which is why we never noticed that it doesn't work when tapping on it.

I guess I can spare an hour. xD I might check it out tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:53:59 PM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game on Steam

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 11:10:17 PM »
Yeah, I totally know. It literally happened to me today at work. We're starting the beta testing of Kingdom Tales 2 tomorrow. We won't have enough machines for all the testers so we figured we'll just compile an iOS version so one or two of them can test on an iPad. Of course, because iPad's interface it a touch interface, I had to activate and check some code that we already used in Kingdom Tales. Everything worked fine. It was no surprise since the engine hasn't gone many important changes and I basically took the code from the first game and started modifying it for the second game so most touch-specific code was just commented out and I reactivated it.

When Kreso finally had the build ready today, I found a bug in the first 10 seconds. -_- When tapping on the task displays, they wouldn't show a popup with the description. It turns out that the bug is also present in KT1 so it's not a new thing. In the mobile GUI of KT1 we used a button plus a popup window with all tasks so no one seems to have noticed the bug in the tablet/desktop GUI, lol! Oh, and it worked fine when using a mouse since a different subsystem is used (hovering with the cursor over the GUI element instead of tapping it) which is why we never noticed that it doesn't work when tapping on it.

Wow :P Good on yer testers for noticing that so promptly :V This is the kind of stuff that makes me dread once I get enough of my engine done to test it out in a linux and mac port. Glad I'm not worrying about IOS at all XD

I guess I can spare an hour. xD I might check it out tomorrow.

Huzzah! Hope you liked what I did with blizzABS XD Wish I'd had more time to poke at the engine to get it to be a bit better of a demonstration :P

Offline Dark_Kyu09

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 01:57:19 AM »
Whoa, this looks really neat. The sprite works are just amazing.

I'll definitely try this out this weekend once I get enough free time.
Never give up your dreams, keep moving on until you make it happen.

----

"Reality is Fantasy"
"Fantasy is Reality"

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 02:06:12 AM »
You did an awesome job and congrats on finishing! I actually think your projects is definately one of the better ones!

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 06:49:42 AM »
@Dark_Kyu09, sweet thank you ^.^ I'm quite proud of my pixeling skills. Particularly the stained glass windows you see for like five seconds XD Hope you enjoy it when you try it out. Make sure to tell me what you think!

@Zexion, Thanks :D Your project sounded pretty awesome from what you were PMing me about. So being classified as "one of the better ones" by you feels pretty good XD Particularly after seeing bits and pieces of your KH game o.o Were you able to finish your game for the contest on time? Or did you get burnt out?

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 06:54:25 AM »
Not so much burnt out as out of time. We didn't get to balance and test things (and more importantly, map) lol.

I'm workin on it still because I kinda want to make a demo for cp.

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 07:00:29 AM »
@Zexion, yeah, I saw your other post :/ man that sucks. Can't wait to try it once you get a demo though. You should aim for sometime this week, just so you can still have the satisfaction of finishing it in a month :3

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 07:05:57 AM »
Yeah i'm aiming for like tomorrow actually lol

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 07:07:53 AM »
Oh perfect :P Tomorrow is the day I've set apart to play all the games I've been keeping track of during the contest lol.

Offline Neoend

• Awakened Visionist
  • Finetuning the Oasis
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 07:27:32 AM »
Ok. So. Two Things. From my time playing so far. =|
Are you ready? Are you sure you can handle this?

1. The Music is so well done! =D
2. The Spriting really helps bring it alive and I can't help but notice how the art and music compliment each other!

I'm going to continue playing through tomorrow, but really so far, I think it is ridiculously well executed.
www.laforix.com

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »
Glad you like the music ^.^ About a third of it is done by a composer who I've been working with since before she went to collage (now she has a masters in musical composition theory I think XD). The rest, aside from three from the RMW Music Pack, were done by a guy I found in the classifieds on RMW. I'm really impressed with his work!

And hehe. You know what my secret was? I listened to their music the whole time I was doing the sprite work :P Helped me keep the feel consistent.

It makes me happy to hear that you think it's well executed :3 I was worried the cutsceney bits were a tad too long before you got a chance at fighting stuff.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
I got the "True End" first (if there are other endings). I'll write up some more feedback and thoughts, but I wanted to let you know that I can open the menu after Fayte's done talking. o.o

EDIT: Alright, here it goes. For anybody reading this, IT CONTAINS HEAVY SPOILERS!

(click to show/hide)

Anyway, that's it. I don't think I forgot anything. I can definitely recommend the game. It's short, but might get you thinking.

EDIT: Holy shit, I've spent more time writing this than playing the game.

EDIT: I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this and how you actually intended things to be. Whether I was right or wrong with some assumptions and so on or whether I'm just seeing imaginary depth in something simple.

EDIT: Oh, I did forget something!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:51:16 PM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »
Holy crap! Giant response!!!

I will respond with an equally giant response, kept in spoiler tags because I'm responding to your discussion of spoilers XD

(click to show/hide)

Thanks for putting so much time into both playing and responding to my game o.o Even though I'm pretty sure I didn't address every point you brought up in my response, such a detailed account of your experience really helps me know what ways to change and improve the game in the coming month or so :D

I appreciate it blizz.

Also, glad you liked the cluster-eff feel of the level grinding segments XD I'm thinking of replacing them with short little dungeons with a miniboss at the end. What you think?

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2014, 11:14:21 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Thanks for putting so much time into both playing and responding to my game o.o Even though I'm pretty sure I didn't address every point you brought up in my response, such a detailed account of your experience really helps me know what ways to change and improve the game in the coming month or so :D

I appreciate it blizz.

No problem, man. I enjoyed the game so that's the least I can do. I'm glad you found my feedback useful. :)

Also, glad you liked the cluster-eff feel of the level grinding segments XD I'm thinking of replacing them with short little dungeons with a miniboss at the end. What you think?

It would definitely make it more interesting. 3-4 maps should be enough.

BTW, as for plotholes, you know why I noticed them? I've watched a bunch of "Everything wrong with XYZ movie" on Youtube this weekend so I started seeing patterns. xD You should check them out. They're funny, entertaining and help you recognize plot holes in your own works. And they're not too serious either (e.g. lots of time you hear "scene does not contain a lap dance" as a movie sin xD).

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2014, 11:53:46 PM »
(click to show/hide)

No problem, man. I enjoyed the game so that's the least I can do. I'm glad you found my feedback useful. Happy

That you enjoyed the game makes this month of two hours of sleep a night all worth it XD

It would definitely make it more interesting. 3-4 maps should be enough.
KK. Glad you thought so. I figured it would help with the story-gameplay ratio, as aside from the mandatory battles, you can spend a maximum of ELEVEN MINUTES battling :P I went with the system I did, because the game isn't supposed to be much longer than an hour. That and the fact that I didn't have time to do much else (I was REALLY strapped for time at the end). Having a dungeon with only a few enemies on each screen will definitely help the battles be more interesting. It usually ended up with me switching to Aiden, cueing up tremor and dew, and spamming the spell while refreshing my SP. MAN you can get a lot of nightmare essence that way :P

BTW, as for plotholes, you know why I noticed them? I've watched a bunch of "Everything wrong with XYZ movie" on Youtube this weekend so I started seeing patterns. xD You should check them out. They're funny, entertaining and help you recognize plot holes in your own works. And they're not too serious either (e.g. lots of time you hear "scene does not contain a lap dance" as a movie sin xD).
Well I'm glad that you did :P As much as I like hearing praise for my game, hearing the things you didn't like is infinitely more valuable. Having both is best, because you know which parts are working and shouldn't be touched much XD So This has been super helpful. And I'll check out  everything wrong with ___. I've been meaning to look at them anyways :P

Offline Neoend

• Awakened Visionist
  • Finetuning the Oasis
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2014, 04:34:50 AM »
I played the Game! And I got the true ending!  Here are my thoughts on the game.

One thing first:
Ok like I said before, great music. This is not going to be questioned.
And in regards to the cutscene bits at the beginning, yeah, I felt they were long and I did want to get to the battles. But they were well executed and as a whole I can see they are extremely important and valuable to the game. The real world segment is also the strongest part presentation wise. It makes a powerful impression that I would think would keep other players interested and invested.
Now for the other specifics.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:36:07 AM by Neoend »
www.laforix.com

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2014, 06:15:17 AM »
Hey! Your reply is segmented! This is going to be super easy to respond to ^.^

I'm glad you like the music. Both my composers will be happy to hear that :D Any particular track you liked? (just curious, lol)

As for the presentation value in the beginning, that was just more of me not realizing how much time I was sinking into sprite poses and custom tileset bits. lol. When I started on the second half, I realized I'd have to pull back a bit on that front. But I'm glad the beginning was able to hold your interest even if you waiting for the battle parts :)

(click to show/hide)

Thanks for commenting :D These long posts really help me know which parts work and don't. I especially appreciate your feedback about which parts of the characters seemed off or awkward to you, as that will help me know which parts to tweak or show in a different light when adding in a bit more story content (along with putting a bit more combat into the game to help the gameplay-story ratio be a bit more even).

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline G_G

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
But you could display some icon somewhere that indicates that you can upgrade your stuff.

You can blame me. I think I was supposed to have done this for him. Though, I can't remember if he asked me to do this before or after the contest deadline. I know he's got some work laid out for me to help polish the game.

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
@gameus, if I remembered to ask you, it was in that long rambley list of stuff I wanted to be done in the coming weeks lol. I was just happy to get the upgrade system and the skill/item ring menus in place before the deadline.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline ArcaneAlchemy

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
Aw, after reading I realized why you kindly put the comment in spoiler tags Blizzard!  :facepalm:
"Wait? Do I look like a waiter?" -Kefka

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »
Awe, that sucks x.x Hope it wasn't spoiled too badly, Arcane.

Offline ArcaneAlchemy

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2014, 09:06:23 PM »
nah, I tried to close my eyes the fastest I could. And because of the alternate branching I'm sure there are plenty of surprises left. :)
"Wait? Do I look like a waiter?" -Kefka