About the dungeon maker thing in VX ace...

Started by Holyrapid, June 21, 2014, 05:36:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Holyrapid

I would imagine that it's hard-coded into the engine/maker itself and can't be changed? I ask because i don't quite like the usual results... The rooms are too square/cubical and not random enough and i don't like one thick walls for a dungeon, at least not in ace...

Should i just continue to modify the results of the dungeon maker until i'm happy or perhaps consider using something else to make the base design and make that in the engine?

Blizzard

A dungeon maker can only get you so far. As you already noticed, yes, they appear more "calculated" and "cold" since they are machine made. I don't know how the generator works, but my advice would be that you do some editing afterwards either way. I don't think the dungeon generator was meant to replace mapping.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Holyrapid

I don't mean to use it to replace mapping, i just want to make the big dungeons seem grander and more natural...

Blizzard

Maybe generate just segments then? You could use a smaller dummy map to generate segments, then you put them together and map out the rest.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Holyrapid

I guess. I'll see what i can come up with...