Tower of Paragon

Started by Zexion, July 03, 2014, 05:07:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

July 03, 2014, 05:07:32 pm Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:05:09 pm by Zexion
Tower of Paragon

About
This was our entry (kk20, and I) for the game jam. Originally super ambitious, ToP aimed to be a platformer beat-em-up with tons of flashy animations and enemies. The time crunch thing kinda put a lot pressure on us. Unfortunately I totally cracked under pressure which resulted in us removing a lot of things and dialing it back a lot. Basically it is not so much a platformer as is a beat-em-up. I originally wanted to add a storyline to this aswell as an overworlds and 3 levels rather than just a castle, but we all know how that goes... >.>

This is supposed to be the completed contest entry. As of the last day, we did not have everything done. This includes several maps full of enemies and the more minor graphical/script problems have been fixed (though some still remain) List at bottom.

Features

• Platformer XP Engine

• Action Battle System

• Mutiple Weapons to collect

• Enemies get stronger as you progress

• Lots of Combos

• All Original Graphics

• Strangely Addicting o.o

Screenshots
Game Screenie: ShowHide

GIF 3.8mb: ShowHide

Credits
Scripts - KK20
Graphics - Zexion
Music - Enterbrain

DOWNLOAD

Extra Tips / Tutorials
The game does explain a lot of the controls and stuff, but does not really cover the HUD.
Spoiler: ShowHide
1. The Main HUD

This part holds mostly your character's status aswell as hotkeys. Any status ailments that are inflicted are displayed next to your level.
The center section holds hotkeys that you can map by using the menu. Simply open the menu and highlight the appropriate item/skill, then press the corresponding hotkey. For skills, you may only map buffs which have at least 1 skill point attached to them.
The green bar represents health.
The yellow bar represents experience.

2. The AP Bar

Shaped like the original sword that I had created for this hero, the AP bar represents a sort of "cool down" period for combo finishers. As long as you have AP, you can use your combo finishers, but once it runs out, you are limited with 2 attacks.

3. Combos!

This part of the HUD simply shows the number of attacks you have landed on enemies. Higher numbers provide a small strength boost (with beatdown enabled) :]

The rest should be easy enough to understand. (Shop / Menu screen)

Known Issues
Graphics: Some walls do not tile correctly.
Scripting: Walking off screen when there are no teleports causes the game to crash. Please don't break :V <3

legacyblade

Hey it's out :D I'm gonna download this and try it right away!

Zexion

Moshan

It throws this error:

And I have  C++ Redistributable Package installed. Any idea?

Zexion

Hmm, this happened to me once and kk20 fixed it really quick-like, so hopefully he will do the same. Just in case, when does this happen?

KK20

Did you check to see if that DLL even exists on your computer? You can download one pretty easily off the internet.
Quote from: Zexion on July 20, 2014, 01:45:47 pm
Hmm, this happened to me once and kk20 fixed it really quick-like, so hopefully he will do the same. Just in case, when does this happen?

Can't remember if it was specifically this error or something else. All I did that time was change my build from Debug to Release. But, in this case with ToP, I built everything in Release.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Moshan

The error appears when I try to start a New Game.
  I've copied the .dll from system32 into the game folder and now the file is not a problem anymore, but now it throws me this error:

Zexion

July 21, 2014, 01:10:23 pm #7 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:17:01 pm by Zexion
I think your download is possibly corrupt. I'm currently redownloading it, but xpplatformer should have been included in the game folder.
Edit: Yup, if you don't have it then redownload the game and it should fix everything :P

Moshan

Sorry for late answering...I've been gone for the past days.
The XPPlatformer.dll is not missing. I've redownloaded the project and I have the same problem...Maybe I'm missing something else?