Programs Targeting .NET Framework

Started by ForeverZer0, July 20, 2014, 09:39:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

For new programs/libraries targeting the .NET Framework, which do you feel is the maximum accepted version if you were to deploy it with your game?

I wouldn't use a program/library if users I deployed it to might have to install a modern framework
Version 3.5, standard on Windows 7 and higher
Version 4.0, optional update
I don't care, I can just instruct users to download and install appropriate framework if they don't already have it.
I wouldn't use a program/library if users I deployed it to might have to install a modern framework

ForeverZer0

As I personally prefer to develop using C# and targeting the .NET Framework, I was wondering about other opinions. Usually I simply just target the minimum framework that makes sense for my project, and don't worry too much about it, since I am developing for the end-user, and my personal belief is that it's not a big deal to have someone update their system to a modern framework. Now though, I am developing for an API that can be used for other developers, and will require to be distributed with their projects, so I feel like it's important to get the view of others.

In the past few years, the .NET Framework, or more specifically, the development for it have drastically increased. A typical Windows XP machine will have version 2.0 installed on it, so that's basically the minimum version used in active development. That's not to say that it will be the highest version on an XP machine, only that it is what will be on it by default, if the user has decided not to keep up on their updates. Windows Vista comes with version 3.0, and Windows 7 comes with version 3.5.

.NET Framework Version 4.0 is not installed on any machine by default, but it is a common update. This is my personal version of choice, as it has a lot of nice added features to make development easier, and is not uncommon on any machine. Version 4.5 came out with Windows 8, but I doubt I will be targeting it any time soon, as it is pretty much only common on Windows 8 PC's, which yeah, we all know by now the story on that...

More or less, I am just curious. I would hate to stick to only using version 2.0 to cater to the die-hard XP users who refuse to install updates, and not be able to develop how I want, but I don't want to develop an API that other developers won't use because it MIGHT make the end-user install an update first.

If you could share your thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated and help guide my development.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

July 20, 2014, 11:14:22 am #1 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:19:37 am by Blizzard
Are you sure that 2.0 is XP SP3? As far as I remember, that's XP SP2. SP3 had 3.5. And Windows 7 SP1 has 4.0 if I'm not wrong.

I am usually for the philosophy that the majority end-users are idiots (or to put it more appropriately, they are simply not as IT-versed as developers or power users) so things should be as simple as possible for them. While installing something additional really isn't a problem, you just can't trust the average user with this. I've seen it too many times that people didn't understand additional installations.

There IS a workaround, though. Just like most game installers bundle DirectX distributions, so can .NET apps bundle .NET versions. Or (since .NET is not exactly small) you can create an installer with Visual Studio that automatically downloads the required .NET version if it's not installed. I remember this feature from VS2008, maybe even VS2005, so I'm sure that newer versions of VS have this feature.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Blizzard on July 20, 2014, 11:14:22 am
Are you sure that 2.0 is XP SP3? As far as I remember, that's XP SP2. SP3 had 3.5. And Windows 7 SP1 has 4.0 if I'm not wrong.

As far as I can find, there are actually no framework updates in the XP service packs...
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

That's weird. I never installed .NET separately, but I remember XP SP2 having 2.0 and XP SP3 having 3.5. Maybe it's not in the update but when you install a clean XP SP3. But I think somebody who knows how to install a service pack also knows how to install .NET.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

I imagine so. I was also of the mind that .NET was installed in the service packs, but after doing some looking, I can't find any evidence of it, even looking over the changelog that the service packs integrate directly from Microsoft. I know it is part of optional updates, though.