Author Topic: Tracking ARC Progress  (Read 15268 times)

Offline Ryex

• Arctic Bird of Programming
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 197
  • Wants to write a compiler for fun
    • View Profile
Tracking ARC Progress
« on: August 12, 2014, 04:34:32 AM »
I Felt that the "ARC Gone?" thread was going off it's original purpose (which was to ask a question) and was turning into a "Track new ARC progress" thread

so I just made a new thread to continue doing just that.

tonight I finished fixing the build on Window. the frozen Welder app can now load properly, turns out that trying to run it with the windowless subsystem (meaning it doesn't get a console window by default) was causing it to crash so I gave it a console window and then told it to hide. so it just kinda flashes in and out on start up. hopefully that doesn't annoy anyone.

for the sake of statistics that I randomly decided to calculate:

At the moment a fully functional ARC Welder takes up 99.4 MB on the disk, compressed for distribution it takes up only 32.8 MB. now that may seem like a lot, but remember, we're bundling python here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:02:47 AM by Ryex »
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking ARC Progress
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:28:50 AM »
Ok, so I've seriously had it with SVN I am there for hosting a full clone of the SVN repo at github, it has the full commit history of the SVN and I'll accept pull request to it. (I have a system set up to easily upstream the commit to SVN)

https://github.com/Ryex/AdvancedRPGCreator
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 05:10:40 AM »
ok, I give up, I can't get svn and git to cooperate, I guess I'll just use SVN then. In the meantime I've finally merged my changed into the svn. I felt I had best do that before I did the full move to the new plugin system.

(click to show/hide)

Offline khkramer

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
So it's possible for us to succesfully build the Arc Welder right now?

Is it hosted on the Arc Creator's google code?

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 06:34:03 AM »
No not really, we're in the middle of a rather large refactor process and while all previous functionality is still there it need to be pulled back together.

in other news I've released version 0.5.1 of pyitect and now I'm REALLY ready to to the conversion to using it as the plugin system instead of my rather misled efforts with the original kernel. when I first started I encountered a few scenarios I had forgotten to consider with the first version of pyitect. it's actually a really dam powerfull plugin system now, take a look and tell me what you think. the readme on the github should be very accessible to most people
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:35:43 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
PROGRESS!

I've got the very basics on ARC loading under pyitect. the move is actually going very smoothly and I'm frankly LOVING how simple things are now
I've converted the configuration over to JSON files instead of the old INI system. just a whole lot simpler to work with

I'm getting retroactively impressed with my old plugin system. while it's overly complicated and a pain in the ass to work with it was still very effective. the move would not be anywhere near this smooth otherwise.

I'm going to PM boisei0 now that the major things are out of the way perhaps he would be willing to help out, I get the feeling that I kinda scared him off when I started about this "big move" to using pyitect

EDIT: did some more work I'd say I'm about 60% done with the conversion now.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:19:36 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline boisei0

• Trained Member
  • LV: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
Nope, you didn't scare me off :)
I was throwing myself into two different projects at the same time, which was more time consuming than I could have predicted. Maintaining a weblog with 2k hits on peak days is taking time as well, but as things are calming down again, I might be able to combine things again.
Consider me back again, and I'll try to communicate when I need a(nother) break.
~Boisei0

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 05:22:26 AM »
So, I'm now using the issue tracker on the googlecode page to better breakdown progress and track what I'm working on. https://code.google.com/p/arcreator/issues/

still working on the move to pyitect
I'm having some problems updating PyXAL

latest changes on the SVN

@Blizzard could you take a look at the compilation errors I'm reporting on the issue? https://code.google.com/p/arcreator/issues/detail?id=3 I'm doing something wrong

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:29:13 AM »
I have to make you new binaries for HLTypes and XAL.

EDIT: Done. Funnily enough the interface didn't seem to have changed, lol! All headers are still the same.

Anyway, these are VS2013 compiled binaries which means they probably won't work very well with other versions of VS, at least you might get warnings or will need both the VS2013 CRT and the CRT of the other VS you are using. Also, the VS2013 CRT supports only Windows XP SP3 and upwards. Older Windows versions are not supported (including XP, XP SP1 and XP SP2). MS decided to deprecate them with VS2013 I guess.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:30:07 AM by Blizzard »
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
I was compiling xal and hltypes myself in vs2013 when I was getting the errors. I'll try yours And see if it works.

There was only one real change,  the addition of AudioSystemType

EDIT:
And Fixed. Thanks for that Blizz. I actually needed to make a few more update to the binding to bring it inline with python 3 as `has_key` is gone in favor of using `if 'key' in object` but that was simple once it actually started compiling.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:57:13 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »
If you check out XAL and HLTypes, you should use the xal_vs2013.sln solution in XAL's root to compile and that should work.

Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 06:48:50 AM »
SO.

a fair bit of progress this last two weeks

There are not 6 issues on the issue tracker marked as fixed (you can always find the tracker here https://code.google.com/p/arcreator/issues/list)

2 of them are related to bugs I discovered with the launcher.

the first was one that could of cause a fair bit of problems, I was assuming that the current working directory as the directory where the Welder executable was located thus preventing the launcher form finding the python libraries unless this was true. I had to do a fair bit work to ensure that the Launcher could find the folder it was executing from on every platform (windows, linux, mac)

The second was a strange problem where the compiled extension part of numpy failed to load for no explained reason. I eventually narrowed it down to how I was packaging python and fixed it.

I've also done a fair bit of work on the move to pyitect only one small portion left to move over then it one to fixing references to things that no longer exist.

Pyitect has moved to version 0.7.0 with the addition of a few new abilities the most recent of which was not automatically enabling all the plugins it finds. instead it simply saves them in the system's `plugins` property and leaves it up to the developer to filter and enable the ones they want. this was the last key feature needed to facilitate my plans to have a completely modifiable editor.

I'm really very proud of myself with pyitect. It exemplifies one of my most strongly held beliefs about programing, "simplicity is powerful". and while I've updated it close on 10 times now to add missing features, not one of them required me to rewrite anything. in total pyitect is sitting at pretty at 550 lines of code about a flat 400 if you don't count documentation. That's pretty slim for all it offers if you ask me.

while we are on metrics:
ARC Welder currently has 32557 lines of code in it's code base.
if we dont count the rather massive file Templates.py generated by the form builder there are 18686 lines of code written by human hand.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 06:40:18 AM »
Welder is now fully converted to Pyitect. + some general maintenance work. guess what guys! we're actually ahead of where we started before this whole big move!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »
Haha, nice. It's nice to see things are getting done.

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
hmm. I seems I'll need to add one more feature to pyitect. The ability to run a python file when the plugin is enabled and it's components are mapped. this way setup can be done.

I need the ability to ensure that the "extend_namspace" function form the RGSS1 module can be bound to the "ARCExtendNamespaceOnLoad" event so that data can be parsed
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:28:46 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »
Ok, it may seem like you've seen this before, but you really haven't.

see, this is running in python 3 under my new plugin system. and believe it or no I have to do a fair bit of work to bring this all up to date.
Moving dependence around, updating code to use python 3's floor division instead of true division, posting patches to the wxPython issue tracker + much more.

low and behold!
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Soulshaker3

• Edgy and Edging
  • Transcended Spirit
  • LV: 3
  • I'm secsi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 11:04:01 PM »
And I tought mine was sexy...  :'(
Hellow?

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 199
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 11:10:06 PM »
It looks like some stuff is getting cut off at the right andbottom of the Initial Equipment group box

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 294
  • Remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »
The box is dynamic to allow user-added slots for equipment, so it has a scroll barto show them.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 04:47:14 AM »
Ya the controls are set up to reflow as the size of the panel changes and the number of equipment slots is configurable so the box is set up with a scroll bar.

That said I can adjust the "best size" setting for the panel and make it default to a bigger size to stop the clipping effect.

In other news I glad I started using the issue tracker, I'm constantly finding little defects here and there and adding them all to my mental todo list had get a bit strenuous sometimes. if instead I go make an issue for them I get a running todo list that I can check off and integrated with the source control so I can mark them done or update progress on them with commit messages. much easier to manage. and it gives me a better sense of progress, which keeps me motivated.

I also keep noticing missing features in system implementations

for example just today the following came up:

Some program configuration values it makes sense to modify project by project but I had no way to do this. I had to go back and refactor the configuration system for the second time since the move to pyitect. course as a result there is support to enable configuration of plugins on a project by project basis, a feature I hand;t considered before. interesting how that works out

The Project.getData function does not return a copy of data in the project just a reference. this is dangerous as it's then possible to unintentionally modify the data outside of the action framework. but at the same time crating a copy of the data is expensive. I ended up adding getDataCopy and getDataDeepcopy functions so that if operation to get the data ready for display might modify it they could be done on copies.

I had to add a get_plugin_module function and explicit load_plugin function to pyitect as there were cases where I needed access to the plugin module and not just the components it contained.

In somewhat unrelated news.

I had someone submit a pull request to pyitect! a completely unknown 3d party had reason to spot and fix a but in pyitect that had gone unnoticed by me! (plugin config files weren't being closed)
so in a way they can contributed to the development of  ARC!

(I'm just happy someone else is using my framework :P)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:02:47 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
Ryex, you recompiled Ruby with MinGW, right? Well, you didn't add the proper headers and now I can't compile anything with it. :/

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
you sure? cause the headers should be there in the mingw branch.

if not I can always redo it.

EDIT: I'm compiling ruby 2.1.3 with mingw right now (superclass mismatch commented out), then I'll generate a MSVC lib for it (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msvc_and_mingw_dlls).

I'll put the result in my drop box with the extension so's form the ruby installer project and the right headers in my dropbox

EDIT:

the result.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20709011/Ruby/Ruby21.zip
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:21:50 PM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Cool, I'll check that stuff today.
I didn't check any branches, I'm still working on trunk. Since we already decided to go with MinGW, I don't see a need for a branch anymore.

EDIT: I'm getting some compiler complains about some headers. As far as I see, HAVE_STRINGS_H and HAVE_UNISTD_H are defined in config.h, but those don't exist on MSVC (I get complaints in defines.h for <strings.h> and <unistd.h>).

EDIT: Nope, now I'm getting other compiler errors. It's best if you check out the trunk and try to compile it yourself. There is a new arc-vs2013.sln solution. Open it up and try to compile liblegacy. I'll commit your headers and binaries.

EDIT: Just for info: I'm getting all those errors in SDK headers located in 7.1A.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:31:14 AM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 12:57:16 PM »
Dam it all, this worked perfectly without a hitch before, what changed?

all you do is create a msvc lib form the def file and drop in aMSVC generated config.h. then it just works. thats it.

the sdk errors seem to indicate that the windows standard headers are being included somehow and trying to redefine their previously declared shit. but how? they have ifndef wrappings to prevent that...

what's more this only happens when trying to compile certain files like legacy.cpp why?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
Probably only those that have ruby.h included. I noticed that defines.h redefines some system stuff such as inline.

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »
figured it out. it's because ruby includes the winsock api via winsock2.h but this causes problems as windows.h included by april and hltypes etc. makes some of the same definitions.

winsock2.h defines some things that windows.h checks to prevent it from redefining things as such you're supposed to include winsock2.h BEFORE windows.h

what I did was add

Code: (cpp) [Select]
#if defined(_WIN32)
#define _WINSOCKAPI_
#endif

to the top of every cpp file that was causing the errors

I also had to make the liblegacy reference the libxal and libartesttf projects or their libs didn't get built

then I made liblegacy include msvcrt-ruby210.lib and it built, no warnings no errors.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:31:13 PM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 07:41:42 AM »
Don't worry about linking, I'll take care of that. I'm using .props files for all definitions to make things simpler and more organized. I'll also make sure to refactor that properly.

EDIT: Alright, next problem. But I think that this should be the last one. I link to the lib that you gave me, but that lib is connected to the 50 MB dll (not to the small 1 MB dll that ends with ".dll.a"). And even when I put that 50 MB dll in the working directory, it still expects other dlls to be present (e.g. libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:04:24 PM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 04:53:06 AM »
perhaps this will satisfy you
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20709011/Ruby/ruby21_build.zip

new dll built with rubyinstaller is 2.5MB does not link to mingw's libgcc (Yes, I did remember to comment out the superclass mismatch)
generated new lib

EDIT: I've tested everything and it works fine, pushed to svn.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:13:12 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »
Awesome, thanks!

EDIT: Nope, superclass mismatch error happens.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:47:39 PM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 12:23:05 AM »
but I commented it out...
dam it, ok lets see what I can do here.

edit:
ya I just checked the source it built from, it's commented out. I did build it straight just to be sure the rubyinstaller way would work first and then went and commented out the check and rebuilt. but I didn't remove the build directory so perhaps it didnt link properly, I'll try a clean build.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:42:03 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »
Also check if there is another place where the error is defined. Maybe they changed something in a newer Ruby version. There are 2 places I know of. Maybe there are more now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:03:05 AM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
ok, got it all working, I wasn't removing the superclass mismatch properly in all three places

SVN and linked dropbox files updated

also, I got curious to see just how much faster ARC is from RMXP so I started writing a benchmark suite starting from converting the language shootout benchmarks

the suite is far from done so these preliminary results are wholly inaccurate for a whole picture sort of deal, they also mix engine and ruby performance improvements and ARC still has a strange bug thats is causing it's graphics engine to run far slower than it should.
but...
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

ARC is running roughly 2.06 times faster than RMXP from a somewhat purely ruby perspective. I'll need to write a comprehensive suite that tests performance of spesfic operations like blt and other bitmap operations etc to really see what going on.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:59:17 AM by Ryex »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
Don't worry about those parts just yet. I have some refactoring in ARC to do to accomodate for the newest changed in april and the other libraries.

BTW, you might be interested to hear that we've slowly documenting the libraries these days. I'm done with HLTypes, HLXML, XAL, XALUtil and currently working on GTypes (6/10 headers already done). Next one is APRIL. It will take some time until all doxygen docs are done and until we make some tutorials and demos that can be used directly, but I have already added a new demo called demo_interface that shows a custom implementation of a window and rendersystem (a "simple" Win32 and a "simple" OpenGL implementation).

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
Oh good. Id has plans to use April in some side projects coming up but the documentation was lacking

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »
The thing is actually that you're supposed to use April's stock implementations in which case the few simple demos should actually be enough to get your started. But of course it's a bit difficult if there is no proper API reference.

EDIT: Alright, I have some good news. I got it running and I can see stuff, but I'm having problems with the font. Namely, I have problems with fonts installed on the system. It seems that our TTF library gets stuck reading a bunch of font files from the system directory. I'll have to figure out a way to find the installed fonts using the registry probably. And I still have to re-implement render targets in our refactored APRIL code since I removed it in the last refactor to make it easier to refactor the whole thing (the most recent refactors were mostly on organizing texture classes and image/bitmap data).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:22:26 PM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 05:40:08 AM »
Welder runs when all core modules and plugins have been Cythoned (compiled into c extensions)! and yes that is important. it means it can run faster and be optimised further at some point.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
<3

EDIT: I've changed the implementation in atresttf how system fonts are enumerated on Windows. In debug mode Visual Studio takes a lot longer to open files for some reason and since I have like 600+ fonts installed, it takes some time to go through all font files in the system directory which is why I switched the implementation to read the registry instead. Basically the ARC engine is now running more or less how it's supposed to, but I still have to figure out a good way how to organize textures as they are currently "render targets" and this won't work too well when the DX device is lost. But I'll figure out something else another time.

EDIT: Ryex, I have some good news for you. I have finished documenting gtypes (now hltypes, gtypes, xal and xalutil are done) and started with documenting april. But that's not the news. The news is that another game dev studio here in Croatia wants to use our text renderer (atres) and UI library (aprilui). They will help us understand what direction we should take when creating the tutorials for our libraries. That also means that we will probably create these tutorials relatively soon (e.g. maybe within the next year).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:42:34 AM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline whitespirits

• Ethereal Devastator
  • LV: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 12:40:28 AM »
in a percentage side of things guys how far along is arc from a release with the editor?

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 02:26:16 AM »
I've kinda given up on truly estimating a time frame. all those development speed jokes make so much sense now. to get a sense of how much work in on the pate left to be done take a look at the issue list at https://code.google.com/p/arcreator/issues/

The list is NOT exhaustive I'll keep adding and closing issues as they come up. % wise I'd estimate around 83%

(click to show/hide)

Offline noixez

• Total Beginner
  • Zexion's Evil Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 03:32:31 AM »
Ryex when you finish i send u pizza in the mail
:d
Born to destroy KK20

Offline whitespirits

• Ethereal Devastator
  • LV: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
Great, looking forward to it!

Offline MarkHest

• Video Game Music Composer
  • Astral Trancist
  • LV: 16
  • Smile, Laugh, Live
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Site
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
Great, looking forward to it!

I second that! Really excited!

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »
Soooooooo....  Any thrilling updates?

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 09:00:27 AM »
You gotta slap Ryex for that. xD

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 09:09:29 PM »
Ryex, I challenge you to finish before i make a kh demo

Offline Ryex

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
Ok, That's it, I'm calling it. I have neither the time nor the motivation to keep working on ARC. To be honest my interests haven't lain with ARC for almost a year and a half.

To everyone who was so looking forward to it I'm sorry for leading you on.

So we're clear on the current situation the engine is mostly functional, but the editor's functionality is not implemented.There is A LOT of structure there to implement the functionality but there's a lot of linking code that has to be written for anything to work. I just don't have the motivation to devote my free time to that task. if someone is willing to tackle it I'd be fully willing to help get them acquainted but until some one does step up ARC is dead in the water.

I should of admitted this to myself a long time ago but I have a hard time letting go of projects i'm invested in. Considering I've invested well over 300 man hours in this project over the last 3-4 years I was especially hard.

Don't worry I'm sticking around, there are still projects I want to tackle and share with you guys. but this one I need to let go.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
Sooooo, who's gonna pick up where Ryex left off?

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline chaucer

• Transcended Spirit
  • LV: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
I'd like to give it a shot, but I have 0 knowledge of computer language outside of rpg makers, and I've got quite a few projects I can't get around to as it is already. I think it'd be a great learning experience for me though, so if nobody picks this up, and if someone feels like helping me learn the basics of what I'm supposed to do and how to go about that, the language isn't as important as google can provide me with tutorials for that.

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »
It isn't going to be even possible to teach the basics of how it works unless you know the language. I don't intend to dissuade anyone from learning to trying, but you definitely need to learn the language, and get yourself quite proficient with it, not just the basics, until you can begin to understand what it is and pick up on someone else's progress. Again, I don't intend to come across as pessimistic, but you need to be realistic here.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »
I'm considering picking up the editor.  I need to talk with Blizzard and Ryex first though.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
I'm ok with that.
I didn't really work on the editor so you should talk with Ryex about it.

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »
What I meant was I needed to ask you two some questions about the project, probably on skype.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2015, 01:24:59 AM »
Aha. Sure, no problem.

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline chaucer

• Transcended Spirit
  • LV: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2015, 05:38:53 AM »
Haha I see what your saying, but I wasn't planning on just getting a hold of project and expecting to complete it in a few weeks, I'm just a fan of the project and didn't wanna see it die, which is why i said I'd pick it up if nobody else did, I'm well aware I'd be biting off more than I can chew here, but I wouldn't have even touched the code until i was fully competent as to what i was working on(which might have been a few years xD). However I seen a lot of people put a lot of hard work into this project, it'd kinda suck if the engine never got completeted.  I'm always realistic though! Reality is a matter of matter of opinion lol.

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 01:19:06 AM »
I was able to talk with Ryex and Blizz, and decided not to pursue this project.

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
I was able to talk with Ryex and Blizz, and decided not to pursue this project.

Care to share why?  Too much work?

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2015, 04:49:59 PM »
Because there was no opportunity to implement anything interesting.  The editor is mostly done already, and most of what is left seemed like boring details to me.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »
I wonder why Ryex gave up... <_<

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 05:33:51 PM »
...and most of what is left seemed like boring details to me.

I would guess this. The "interesting and fun" aspects of everything get done, and all that is left is a million little tedious details to tie everything together. I understand all about losing interest at this point. I do not code professionally, I do for pleasure, therefore when it no longer interests me, and I am no longer enjoying myself, I see little reason to continue, and motivation becomes a difficult thing to muster up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:36:24 PM by ForeverZer0 »

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 08:27:55 AM »
About how many hours of tedious work is there left exactly?

Normally I'd up to just do it myself.  But with my work, other business ventures outside work, and trying to have a life, I barely have any time to do any kind of game development, let alone create and maintain game development software by myself.  Plus I've never really worked with GUI's before.

I can't be the only one who realizes what a shame it would be to have this project sputter and die in the final stretches after 4+ years of work.

How many man hours of tedium is still left?

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 08:48:37 AM »
As far as the C++ portion is concerned, I'd say 50 hours. But I'll take care of that part myself.

Drinking Game on Steam