Issues with movement/events not working correctly [RMXP] (solved)

Started by Ctrl_Alt_Defeat, August 30, 2014, 09:13:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ctrl_Alt_Defeat

August 30, 2014, 09:13:18 am Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:27:29 am by Ctrl_Alt_Defeat
Hey guys!

I have an issue I'd like to finally put to rest.

Before I explain here's an example of my problem:

Right now I have a simple parallel process at the start of my game that has a few dialog and simple movement (turn up, turn down, ext.) The map has one event besides the ones used as NPCs that are present for the makeshift intro for my game. I've tested this and reworked it numerous times before and everything worked fine. The event ran just the way I set it to do and the character+npcs moved without problems. The event worked 100% without flaws.

Today when I started testing it just to see if everything is alright, the dialog works just fine but the set move route will not execute and even so, after the event finishes, I can't move my character. I've checked for mistakes using my invisible walls and double check if I accidentally had an event in the way of the player's and NPC's movement but everything should work. I should note I do have some custom scripts (UMS so far) but it worked just fine before even with that script.  :'(

This is not the first time this has happened. Years ago I had a game that had an amazing intro but the same thing happened where the characters would talk just fine but the move routes did not execute. That time how ever when I loaded up that game, an event was erased and I'm 100% sure I didn't erase that event myself.

So, for many years this has plagued my RPG making and I'd like to put this crazyness to an end. Does anyone know the problem?

Is this a bug that's apart of RPG maker usually?  :???:
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

ForeverZer0

Have you tried using an autorun event? Autorun is what you should be using for cutscenes, not a parallel process.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ctrl_Alt_Defeat

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 30, 2014, 09:16:48 am
Have you tried using an autorun event? Autorun is what you should be using for cutscenes, not a parallel process.

I have tried to set it as an auto run but it still has the same effect :/

One thing I did try was making an event on another map move the player and test NPCs and that worked just fine so right now it's just that map :/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

G_G

I'm curious, you're not using the PK edition of RMXP are you?

If not, what would really be helpful is if you uploaded a demo of the problem so other people can look at it and maybe find the problem. It's hard to know what's going on in your map based off of your description.

Ctrl_Alt_Defeat

August 30, 2014, 09:43:35 am #4 Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:12:00 am by Ctrl_Alt_Defeat
Quote from: gameus on August 30, 2014, 09:35:00 am
I'm curious, you're not using the PK edition of RMXP are you?

If not, what would really be helpful is if you uploaded a demo of the problem so other people can look at it and maybe find the problem. It's hard to know what's going on in your map based off of your description.

I don't believe I'm running with the PK edition.

I'm working on uploading a demo atm! I'll have a link up ASAP.

[EDIT] https://www.dropbox.com/s/z54g8zdtt9k89wg/Project1.rar?dl=0 Here's the drop box for it. It's MAP012!

ForeverZer0

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ctrl_Alt_Defeat

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 30, 2014, 10:20:17 am
Your player is standing on an impassable tile.

That wasn't a problem before. The tiles aren't the problem because I know for a fact this worked before even that being the starting position. However I did change the tile and that seemed to work now???

This doesn't fix the 2 NPCs talking because even if the player moves just fine, the NPCs are having the same problem.

MetalZelda

Screenshot both your scene and your event page, try to turn on a self switch at the end of the parallel process / autorun.

ForeverZer0

August 30, 2014, 10:32:18 am #8 Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:33:34 am by ForeverZer0
It's your event, take a closer look at it.
For some reason, Direction Fix is on, so they won't turn.
You have event 4 try to walk left, but the other NPC is there.

Turn off direction fix, and even just move the NPC's somewhere random where they aren't standing next to each other, you will see this is a logical move route error, not a bug.

Ctrl_Alt_Defeat

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 30, 2014, 10:32:18 am
It's your event, take a closer look at it.
For some reason, Direction Fix is on, so they won't turn.
You have event 4 try to walk left, but the other NPC is there.

Turn off direction fix, and even just move the NPC's somewhere random where they aren't standing next to each other, you will see this is a logical move route error, not a bug.

Ahhhhhh! That fixes this problem! I did have them set to a second page to avoid this conflict but those were deleted? Idk I'll haft to take a closer look at that. I'll look into the disappearance of random events later if it pops up again but thanks for pointing that out I feel stupid x.x but then again there were pages there?

Idk maybe there was a save error. Had that happen a few times.

ForeverZer0

@MetalZelda:
No, it does not require a script, it's just a move route that got mixed up.

MetalZelda

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 30, 2014, 10:38:36 am
@MetalZelda:
No, it does not require a script, it's just a move route that got mixed up.

That was a mistake xD sooz