Android App for Chaos Project

Started by ForeverZer0, October 22, 2014, 05:45:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

So I was thinking at trying my hand at developing for Android, but I don't even know where I will find the time to do so.
Anyways, I had an idea of either myself, or someone more experienced, developing an Android app for CP, which could be better than than simply using a browser.

Any thoughts?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Soulshaker3

Hellow?

PhoenixFire

Develop in AppMethod -> Publish across all three major mobile platforms -> ??? -> Profit

Sounds like a good idea, though I'm interested in the details you had in mind. I mean.. What do you do in CP other than browse the forums..?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

ForeverZer0

More or less just an app that formats the site for a phone, same as the other countless other apps designed that basically mimic a website.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

It'd be pretty cool, but to be honest, you'd have to do a lot of HTML parsing and cookies and the whatnot to convert it to a mobile friendly site. And since you don't have access to the server side code, this might make it a bit more difficult. Doable, but difficult. If Blizzard allowed it, my plan of attack would be to have a PHP script or two to hook into the SMF settings/database so that we could grab the information rather than HTML parsing. Overall, the easiest thing would be to ask Blizzard to install Tapatalk but if I remember right he said something about it not working with the some of the personal mods he's applied to SMF.

Also moving to News/Suggestions.

Ryex

you would be better off writing a skin for CP that detects screen size and reformats in a mobile friendly fassion
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

I would love a Chaos Project app! Tapatalk integration has been brought up a few times in the past, and has proved to be either impossible or just simply not worth the effort due to a lot of the custom things here on CP, but a native app would be able to provide a work-around, I'm sure. However, I'd definitely use it if there were one. :)

Blizzard

Wasn't there a wap version of CP? Like wap.forum.chao-project.com. I know that I did find wap formatted versions of CP topics while googling.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

I used some various automatic converters, such ApkCreator and AppGeyser, but the end result is exrtemely bland, and basically just dumbed down HTML. I was thinking more along the lines of what the Facebook app is to the Facebook website.

Blizzard

October 23, 2014, 10:37:51 am #10 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:39:03 am by Blizzard
@Zexion: LMAO! This is probably perfect then. The generated HTML is very simple. So all you had to do to make an app is to parse this HTML and format it a bit to look nicer and that's it. The app could use a browser backend or some other HTML renderer (e.g. Chromium).

In any case, if somebody does this, they should use a multiplatform SDK such as Corona SDK so that the app can be deployed on both Android and iOS (and the dreaded Windows Phone if necessary).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Magus

This would be interesting actually. Facebook-like app but for CP instead.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />