Author Topic: Arc still exist?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Magus

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: -21
  • Writer of Destiny
    • View Profile
Arc still exist?
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »
Hey guys, long time no see. I haven't used rpg maker in a while (and most people I know) asked about the progress of ARC, that is if it still exists XD

If you guys do have to make this a paid for project, I'd buy hands down. The only thing you'd have to do for marketing is pretty much proving how much better than rpg maker it is.  Even add in some epic futures that
rmxp doesn't have..

LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 365
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
Re: Arc still exist?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:23:36 AM »
Yes, it still exists, and it's open source (so monetary value is basically zero). Ryex has abandoned the editor and it is still unclear whether people are willing to pick up the pieces and finish it off. Blizzard is still willing to finish the engine, but I think motivation is nil until someone adopts the project.

(click to show/hide)
NNID: KK20-CP

Offline Magus

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: -21
  • Writer of Destiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00:31 AM »
Damn... we were really looking forward to this. Oh well. I'll check in now and then  to see if anyone takes it up. Or if I find any professionals that I know can be trusted,  (i.e friends, etc.) I'll push them here.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:05:30 AM »
Blizzard is still willing to finish the engine, but I think motivation is nil until someone adopts the project.

Very correct. I don't mind putting in a few dozen hours to finish it, but only if somebody else does the editor.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 07:08:23 AM »
I sent Ryex a message asking what specifically still needed to be done.  He didn't mention specifics, but said that there was probably 80-150 man hours required.  You'd also have to account for ramp-up time if a new developer takes over.

I'm thinking that this topic probably wasn't kept up to date: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,12934.0.html
So there's probably more done that what's reflected there.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 08:41:45 AM »
Actually that topic might be pretty up to date. ._. Either way, yes, it's best if you see with Ryex.

Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 06:40:14 AM »
:\

Well, the last update to the OP was Dec. 2013, but Ryex was posting updates in this topic at one point: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,14426.0.html

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »
Yeah, there were a few updates, but I think they were minor.

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline Ryex

• Arctic Bird of Programming
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 197
  • Wants to write a compiler for fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »
The list is for the most part accurate. there are a few details here and there  but all in all accurate. the vast part of the last work I did was a complete rewrite of how the plugin system works and a re-factor to use that plugin system.

To be honest a bit part of why a dropped my commitment to the editor was because of quickly mounting stress and no desire to work on it. I though If I announced that I wasn't going to work on it any more It might release some of my stress. I was wrong. I wasn't until I switched about 5 credit hours to audit that the stress started to drop. if anything the knowledge that I'd dropped the editor and reneged on a previous commitment INCREASED my stress.

I guess what I saying is that I'm going to come back to working on the editor. however I'm going to switch gears and work on a different part than I was before. Previously I was working on the event editor and trying to re-factor all the event panels to work the way I wanted, there was a great deal of overhead that was complicated by the fact that I could not integrate with the main editor yet because I need the map editor to be more complete first. Instead I going to leave that for last and work on finishing the functionality of all the database panels first. a much lower stress task, then I'll move on the the mad editor and brush system. THEN work on the event editor.

I'd still fully welcome help if anyone is willing. I'm not kidding when I say there's at least 80 hours of work left. but if someone else can put in even 10-20 hours on a small subsystem it'd be a great help. when KK did a good majority of the work hammering out the display code for the event commands that was a great help.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:19:44 PM by Ryex »
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 365
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »
when KK did a good majority of the work hammering out the display code for the event commands that was a great help.
Oh yeah...I need to finish that still. I think I got to a point where I had to rework the test project's event commands and try all the different options. I know I still had to do the Picture-related event commands. Of course it's been over a year since I last looked at it and would need to refresh my knowledge.

(click to show/hide)
NNID: KK20-CP

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 02:13:44 PM »
It would be awesome if you could start chipping away slowly at the editor like that. :)

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline syldocaine

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
Wow, it's really nice to see this project still alive!

I can't wait.

Offline Eclipse

• Awakened Visionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 04:39:08 AM »
That's great to hear Ryex!

I'm the same way, I hate leaving things unfinished... It's just the perfectionist in me.  Life and other stuff often gets in the way, but unfinished ambitions always nag at the back of my mind...  My RM game is one of them.  For several years now I've been forcing myself to just work on graphics and the story (on paper) when I feel the urge to work on it.  I've avoided doing any real work for it for a long time because honestly, I was waiting for the ARC editor to reach at least a functional beta.  RMXP and RMVXA proved to be too limiting for what I wanted to accomplish.  I know there will be a RMXP to ARC project converter, but I'd end up having to redo a lot of things to take advantage of some of the awesome stuff the ARC editor will have (more flexible databasing, multiple chipsets for maps, etc...)

I've also been kicking around the idea of just building the game from scratch in something like Game Maker Studio, Construct, or XNA, but have avoided digging straight into that because there would be a ton of time I'd have to spend just building the basic systems that RMXP gives you out of the box (database, mapping, events/event editor, and all the base classes for characters/tilemap/animation rendering).

Anyways, I STILL really want to see this project succeed, and I could definitely pitch in 10-20 hours to help wrap some things up and make that happen.

Exactly what tasks would it be helpful for others to complete Ryex?  Outline them here a bit when you get a chance.

hample

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »
I'm jus tnew here browsing around, but I lov ethi sidea, keep it up, I can't wait to try this out!