Survey for a Game I am making

Started by SekiArt, July 14, 2015, 07:05:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SekiArt

Hello guys and girls and aliens.

I am currently working on a Game with Unity 3d. I have a general Idea but I really think that today, in the industry of gamecreation, no one really cares about the gamers and fans. Since I love games, and have a great vision of what I should do to make this game great, I need to ask gamers themselves what they love about games and what not.

http://kwiksurveys.com/s/6RyO6W8s

I would appreciate if you guys could take this quick survey, which really does not take longer than 4min. And if you can, please share it where ever your think its suitable!

Thank you very much

Seki <3
- Memories (2016) - Story: 95% - Artwork: 5% - Scripts: 45% - Coffee: too many. - www.sekiart.com/memories comming soon!

KK20

Quote from: SekiArt on July 14, 2015, 07:05:14 pm
I really think that today, in the industry of gamecreation, no one really cares about the gamers and fans.

I personally believe this is far off from reality. 20 years ago, this was more true as communication was limited and video games were much simpler; but companies that refuse to listen to their consumers, especially when we are literally surrounded by social media in this day and age, honestly should consider picking up a new hobby. I think the media and the general hive-mind gamers typically develop from reading said media flood the Internet with too much of the negative that the positive gets buried and goes unnoticed. It's like a company does one bad game and everyone goes "BUH Y U NO LISTEN TO US" when they already have a history of other games where user feedback was essential in its development. While this may be true for some companies more than others, the game industry as a whole is more than aware that their users' loyalty is what makes or breaks them.

I'll go ahead and submit an entry. Kinda sad that on the list of movies near the end, I think I've only seen 2 of them.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

I only haven't watched 3 of them. xD I actually watched Bladerunner the first time just a few months ago. I can see why it's a legendary movie.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SekiArt

Quote from: KK20 on July 15, 2015, 02:05:16 am
I personally believe this is far off from reality.

No it is not. It is because reality has changed. Things we are used to now were unthinkable back then. "20 years ago, this was more true as communication was limited and video games were much simpler." Back then, videogames were only played by so called "gamers". There was no casual playing on a mobile phone, or torrenting your favourite game or emulating it. Back then, games were ment to be for gamers. I remember seeing surveys you had to fill out by hand and send in to THQ for THPS for example and many more. back then the companies went directly to the gamer and asked "yo, uhm, what do you like?".

[...]but companies that refuse to listen to their consumers [...] honestly should consider picking up a new hobby.

And this is where i get to the second part. Since our reality has changed, the majoraty thinks that they listen to us, but indeed serve us the same stuff each and every year. COD for instance, or FIFA. But why do people buy those games? Because they had a great base to start with and a concept. But what happens now is that they use those games not solely to satisfie the consumer, but also satisfy their moneybags. 20 years ago, DLC was unthinkable of. You went to a store with daddy and said "i want this game pls i beg of you" and daddy said "ok" and you had your game. Now you take your kid to Gamestop and your kid sais "Daddy daddy can you preorder this game for me?" "Preorder?" and this is where the shit starts. Go on steam. Check what you can get on early exess. Early Exess would be nice if you could play it for free. I remember Early Exess being a term where you can play an MMO Expansion 2 days before it comes out officially. But now you get games like DayZ which are unfinished and make tonns of money of it - with an unfinished game. DLC - Stuff that is on the Disc has to be unlocked for some money (WWE 2k14 Wrestler DLC).

While this may be true for some companies more than others, the game industry as a whole is more than aware that their users' loyalty is what makes or breaks them.

Think of a nice applecrumblecake. You eat that, you like that, for years. Someone changes the recepie. you don't like it - but 2 other guys do like it more now. This is the same with games. some gamers are stuck with the old ways. My dad used to play games with me and sometimes hits the nostalgia bell saying "id buy a gpc again just to play some 4x4 Evolution again" Of course you lose audience in time, since time changes. But it is not the times that changes the gamer, its the game that changes the time.

Kinda sad that on the list of movies near the end, I think I've only seen 2 of them.

it is the general direction the game in sense of setting goes to :)
- Memories (2016) - Story: 95% - Artwork: 5% - Scripts: 45% - Coffee: too many. - www.sekiart.com/memories comming soon!

Sylphe

QuoteCOD for instance, or FIFA.

What's that ? References ? ... LOL
Well I completed the survey honestly, I think my answers should really help you. Make sure to watch B-|
Good initiative by the way :)
blindly follow his heart can lead to the loss

Sylphe, descendant of Zoldik Family.
Quote from: TedBearTRY KEEP UP

KK20

COD = Call of Duty
FIFA = those series of soccer/football games that gets pumped out every year

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Sylphe

Yeh I know, but those games are not references xD they're not worthy to mention here u.u
People who buy every COD or FIFA once they're in sale are some rich sheeps I think
blindly follow his heart can lead to the loss

Sylphe, descendant of Zoldik Family.
Quote from: TedBearTRY KEEP UP

SekiArt

Quote from: Sylphe on July 17, 2015, 09:21:36 am
Yeh I know, but those games are not references xD they're not worthy to mention here u.u
People who buy every COD or FIFA once they're in sale are some rich sheeps I think

Those games among league of legends and dota are perfect examples of the commercial impact on the gaming industry. Millions of people play those games on regular basis (from 1 match a day or two to hours of gameplay a Day. Let me get an example of why those games fit just so perfect. Fifa 15: I am playing it, but I am not spending a cent for ingame currency. After over 100 matches i have finally come to a point where I can say, that I have a good team. With the ingame currency you can buy packs, just like in yugioh that contain a number of players. The quality ranges from bronze to Gold and has individual upgrades for sertain players based on how well they played in real life. EA recently put on a price range on those cards. Messi, the Best Player in the game is worth between 1 and 1.5 (wait for it) Million coins. You earn around 400 coins a match. Do the math. But I want him so badly! Thanks to ea i can spenden real money to have the Chance to get him in one of the premium rare Gold players packs! Thatll just cost around 20€ for a pack! :) thanks ea. Oh i am missing a special Player? Man i wished i had preordered the game for 20 bucks plus. Thanks ea. Remember the time where games had all they provided without letting the gamer pay money to unlock things in the game that were allready inside? I Do. That's why I create a game without that Bullshit. A game you just Start and play.you dont have to preorder to get a Bonus outifit. You will also get all cars from the begining? BONUS MISSIONS? There are no Bonus MISSIONS because they are allready in the game. Fuck dlc, fuck preorder, fuck ingame currency and fuck microtransactions. Let me bring back the good years of gaming.

Blizzard

Preorder is a horrible practice. DLC could have been a great thing, but it was ruined. Microtransactions aren't so bad in general, but the problem is that it's abused by companies beyond all reasoning. Just like you said, 400 coins per match and 1-1.5 million coins for the best player. And it's just one player.

That kinda reminds me of that Yugioh game for Playstation where you get between 1-5 starships after every match and you can get some rare cards by spending starchips. Some of these cards cost easily 10k+ starchips. (Not to mention then 999999 cards that are just there for show, but not really meant for you to be able to buy.)

But not all games are like this. And there have been some truly amazing advancements in game development over the last decade. Don't let that commercial shit deter you so easily.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SekiArt

Quote from: Blizzard on July 18, 2015, 04:46:01 am
Preorder is a horrible practice. DLC could have been a great thing, but it was ruined. Microtransactions aren't so bad in general, but the problem is that it's abused by companies beyond all reasoning. Just like you said, 400 coins per match and 1-1.5 million coins for the best player. And it's just one player.

That kinda reminds me of that Yugioh game for Playstation where you get between 1-5 starships after every match and you can get some rare cards by spending starchips. Some of these cards cost easily 10k+ starchips. (Not to mention then 999999 cards that are just there for show, but not really meant for you to be able to buy.)

But not all games are like this. And there have been some truly amazing advancements in game development over the last decade. Don't let that commercial shit deter you so easily.

You mean yugioh forbidden memories! If this game was made today you could get 1000 starchips for a Dollar~

Of course are not all games like this. But It is the majoraty. Today It's money > experience. There is not much you can say to deny that fact.

Quick Edit: thank you for taking the survey :) i May still be at one digit count there but you got to start somewhere.

Blizzard

I disagree. It's true that the AAA industry really pushes that crap, but indies rarely do. So they are the minority. That being said, I agree that there is too much of it.

SekiArt

Quote from: Blizzard on July 18, 2015, 12:54:05 pm
I disagree. It's true that the AAA industry really pushes that crap, but indies rarely do. So they are the minority. That being said, I agree that there is too much of it.

That is True too, but the AAA titles get a bigger push (due to commercials etc) than indy games. But I have Seen couple indy games with dlc too. I recently bought the escapists on ps4. The game is worth It's money but then you get 2 dlcs for 2 New prisons. And I am thinking to myself "ok, this game is good but repetitive, why would i pay more money for more repetitive gameplay?" I think that in general, for 5 commercial AAA games you get 1 indygame that is on the same level.

Blizzard

They do get a bigger push. But in sheer number of games, fewer games have these things. Of course there are some indie games with DLC, I've seen some myself. But as I said, it's relatively rare. It's also true that the quality of indie games usually doesn't compare to AAA, but there is a greater number of them out there. I really just depends on how you look at things. I don't think such a negative outlook is constructive since it's not all that bad.

Heretic86

There are pretty much two reasons why people make games:

#1 - As a way to make money

#2 - They make games because they enjoy making games

There can be some degree of overlap, but I think what needs to be considered is why youre building games.  Are you doing it to try to make money?  If so, then audience feedback will definitely be important.  Are you doing it because you enjoy doing it?  If so, then dont worry about audience feedback while making the game and make the game you wanna make.  Once the game is done, then listen to your audience and see what they liked and didnt like.

As a scripter that hasnt yet released a full game, I can say that I write scripts for the second reason, I enjoy doing so.  I enjoy creating the tools that can help others do things in their games that they may be unable to do otherwise.  Im not charging any money for what I do because I love doing it.  Its no different in terms of content consumption.  Sometimes I watch tv because I enjoy watching tv, not because I expect to get paid for watching tv, but just for the sake of sheer satisfaction from watching what I enjoy watching.  Some people read because they enjoy reading, others exercise, sports, hobbies, etc.  Sports is a good example.  Some people expect to get paid for playing sports.  Professional Athletes.  Others play sports for the sake of playing the sport itself.  Back yard football.  Wakeboarding.  Etc. 

The point of this is for you to fully understand why you want to make a game.  Do you want to do it for the adoration that somes from having a large fanbase, or do you want to make a game because you enjoy making the types of games that you would enjoy playing?
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Blizzard

It's quite simple:

The AAA industry is doing it for the money.
Indies may begin doing it for fun, but later it's 50-50.
Amateurs do it for fun.

And that's it. I can tell that this is really it from personal experience. I don't mind CP being for free since I did that game out of love for game development. But I wouldn't make another huge free game anymore. I don't have the time. So I'm personally at 50-50 now. I do love making games, but I also want to make a living off it.

SekiArt

Quote from: Blizzard on July 20, 2015, 02:40:37 am
It's quite simple:

The AAA industry is doing it for the money.
Indies may begin doing it for fun, but later it's 50-50.
Amateurs do it for fun.

And that's it. I can tell that this is really it from personal experience. I don't mind CP being for free since I did that game out of love for game development. But I wouldn't make another huge free game anymore. I don't have the time. So I'm personally at 50-50 now. I do love making games, but I also want to make a living off it.

100% True.
From my Personal experience:
Ive worked on couple game projects in my life. I am more the concept artist and storywriter.
Ive worked closely with the SAE in Hamburg, germany. There I learned the essence of making money with games. The gamejams they had were Maximum fun. But the projects were stick in the ass straight up money orientiert. I used the rpg maker as a Gateway to train and learn basic Management skills, timekeeping and just the Basic cycle of doing certain things for a projects. As far as im concered, id like to earn money with my game. I will just evaluate at the end for what Prince. What is the games worth. Today, AAA games all kinda Sell for the same high price. Some are worth it, some not. If I feel my game is worth 10 bucks for example, than I as a gamer get the feel, that it is worth that much.

Blizzard

Quote from: SekiArt on July 22, 2015, 03:03:34 pm
Today, AAA games all kinda Sell for the same high price. Some are worth it, some not. If I feel my game is worth 10 bucks for example, than I as a gamer get the feel, that it is worth that much.

Oooooh, I definitely agree on that. Thank the heavens for Steam sales. xD I barely pay the full price for a AAA title anymore.

SekiArt

Quote from: Blizzard on July 22, 2015, 04:23:18 pm
Quote from: SekiArt on July 22, 2015, 03:03:34 pm
Today, AAA games all kinda Sell for the same high price. Some are worth it, some not. If I feel my game is worth 10 bucks for example, than I as a gamer get the feel, that it is worth that much.

Oooooh, I definitely agree on that. Thank the heavens for Steam sales. xD I barely pay the full price for a AAA title anymore.

^ THIS SO MUCH!  I am allways happy for gamestop sales here too