Dreaming - A Psychological RPG Game

Started by Parkman202, November 29, 2015, 12:43:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkman202

November 29, 2015, 12:43:52 am Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:21:54 pm by Parkman202
Dreaming - A Psychological RPG Game

"What about you...?"
"What did your past write to your mind?"
"What did it tell you?"
"What did it do to you?"
"More Importantly..."
"Did you wake up?"

Introduction
Dreaming is a psychological RPG game being made with RPG Maker MV that is under development for both PC's and mobile phones. It rises a question most people don't think of asking; "what does our mind want to tell us," and has people questioning every dream they had ever had. Dreaming surrounds a girl named Carly Beverlin, an idiopathic hypersomniac, in a sleep-paralyzed lucid dream. She cannot wake up from this world her rampant mind is forcing her to endure until her mind is appeased with the solace it desires. But what is it? There might be more to it than just that...

This game will HIGHLY depend on the player's choices throughout the story and how much they learn of the backstory of this troubled girl. Even the smallest error could alter the outcome.

Credits (as of the current time)
Graphic design (tiles, GUI, effects, etc.), primary development, a few songs, and some coding by Parker Lippstock.

Art (face icons, busts, CG, etc.), secondary development, most of the soundtrack, and support by David Smith/ANx3hProductions on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGyGTOZE6nAwNIYbbq4quIg)

Current Setbacks

• Specific scripts that I have no idea in the slightest to code (despite my attempt to learn JavaScript)

• Obviously, the Apple Developer account issue

• While it's not really an issue, I don't have a Macintosh (but it won't make iOS exporting impossible)

Tech Demo
The Dreaming tech demo can be played over HTML-5 for browsers (and mobile devices universally) here: https://googledrive.com/host/0BweUUjN5l3OxcmtDMl9ma01TbUU
...and Windows here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BweUUjN5l3OxMFRmd0pURzNyYmc&usp=sharing
...and Mac here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BweUUjN5l3OxMFRmd0pURzNyYmc&usp=sharing
...and finally, Android APK here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BweUUjN5l3OxMFRmd0pURzNyYmc&usp=sharing

I am posting this here because I want to know if people would like to see this game finished and on the App Store. This is because to be able to publish this to the App Store, I would need to purchase a $99/year Apple Development Account, which is a lot of money for two solo developers. I want to know if people would buy this game and play it if I would invest in such a thing, so it wouldn't go to waste. I want to make games people will enjoy, and that is my one and only goal here.

Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance if you support this idea.

KK20

There's definitely some potential here. I always appreciate projects that use their own custom resources. Took a look at the demo--not really sure what was going on, but I understand it's mainly just a rapid-prototype of testing elements and getting used to the new engine. Once you develop more on the story, I'll be sure to take another look at it. Characters could probably use a better bio as they are following some common tropes. It also doesn't make sense how a character that sleeps for long periods of time, and is late as a result, can be doing well in school. Also not a fan of characters that are "ignored and/or bullied by everyone"--unless the entire community (or the character herself) are total schmucks, there's no real way I'm going to feel sympathy for the character (it's also a lazy way to make a character seem helpless/weak).

Also, it's JavaScript, not Java. People will give you massive lectures if you keep saying that. :P

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Parkman202

Quote from: KK20 on November 29, 2015, 01:50:14 am
There's definitely some potential here. I always appreciate projects that use their own custom resources. Took a look at the demo--not really sure what was going on, but I understand it's mainly just a rapid-prototype of testing elements and getting used to the new engine. Once you develop more on the story, I'll be sure to take another look at it. Characters could probably use a better bio as they are following some common tropes. It also doesn't make sense how a character that sleeps for long periods of time, and is late as a result, can be doing well in school. Also not a fan of characters that are "ignored and/or bullied by everyone"--unless the entire community (or the character herself) are total schmucks, there's no real way I'm going to feel sympathy for the character (it's also a lazy way to make a character seem helpless/weak).

Also, it's JavaScript, not Java. People will give you massive lectures if you keep saying that. :P

Thank you for the advice! I'll keep it in mind for when I make the full game as I agree with you on everything here; me and my friend thought up this story in about ten minutes, so it's pretty flawed. Also, the bullied character thing is part of a twist you'd have to understand in the ending of the game, trust me on this one; all I can say is you won't suspect the truth at all. ;)

It also is logical that Carly wouldn't do good in school because of her hypersomnia, and I kind of "blacked out" making that part, if you know what I mean (basically, I was in one of those trances if you are doing the same thing multiple times and you kind of "hang" like a crappy computer).

I also had a question for you, and I know it's kind of a harsh move on my part (since you made it for me before), but I thought I'd ask it. I don't know if you remember, but nearly a year ago I requested a script for RPG Maker XP that saved specified switch states in a .rxdata file for when the game would start up. I don't know if it would be possible to convert this to JavaScript, especially if it's to be made for iOS/Android/etc. (though I don't think that that would affect it). I know JavaScript can be used more universally than RGSS (obviously), so I'm assuming it's use could work the same. I've tried to learn JavaScript on my own (even converting the script - lets just say it didn't go well at all), but I work best from examples (like the default scripts), but I can't understand a single string from it.

Thank you for reading my gigantic post; I can't stop writing in such unnecessarily long paragraphs that rant on about the same aspect of something. I will definitely take your words to heart and apply them to the storyboard. Thank you for the help! ;)

P.S. The demo was all a dream devised by Carly's mind; just a little twist to allude the basis of the full game. The door at the end signified her regaining control of her dream and "changing her mind" about the door being locked. The books were her conscience going rampant (why it is rampant will be explained in the full game) and trying to keep her in sleep paralysis.

KK20

Unfortunately, I haven't worked with RMMV much yet. After getting my new job, I've kinda gave up on learning it and want to get back to my older projects. I'll give it another year--the product is full of bugs and there's very little documentation out there. I also don't know how saving works via browsers or apps and if creating and opening files outside of the standard save file is allowed/possible.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!