Best data compression software?

Started by Fantasist, August 08, 2008, 11:35:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

Without one, life would be so difficult! I used to use WinZIP a long time ago, but I found WinRAR to be faster and better. I also like the new features of the RAR format (solid archiving and file splitting). There was a time I used this program called ZipGenius. I was happy, but I soon forgot about it. After using WinRAR for so long, I'm starting to get bored. I especially don't like the icon. I used some cool themes, but even that became old. Moreover, WinRAR can't compress to many formats, just .zip and .rar if I'm not mistaken. It can extract MANY formats though.

Anyway, I'm in the process of creating a customized Windows XP installation disk. I thought it was about time I did, considering the number of times I reinstalled XP on my PC and Laptop. I'm using the program nLite, which is really able in slipstreaming and tweaking the Windows XP source files. I've already integrated almost all the hotfixes and updates released till date, WM11 and IE7, .NET Framework 2.0 and K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. nLite also lets me integrate programs like Firefox, if I'm able to prepare them in the right format (they're called Program Addons). I've kept the programs to a bare minimum, and I'm almost done, except for a good compression software.

So, what is the best data compression software I can use?

What I consider:
- WinRAR
- ZipGenius

What I don't consider:
- WinZIP

Any pointers would be great :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Diokatsu

Fantasist

So is ZipGenius. What format can 7zip compress to? And what formats can it read?
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Diokatsu

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

Alright, thanks guys, I'll install everything and try everything RIGHT NOW! (on my 16 KBPS connection -_-)

Diokatsu

LOL way to go. 7 zip is nice cause it's free but i use winRAR cause it's my default......i stole my copy *steals* and it works fine. If you know a good warez site you can also try servant salamander, i think. I used it and it was great

Fantasist

Right. 7Zip is slow, and I hate the icons. Can we apply themes like in the case of WinRAR? I'm still considering it, i'll see if I can mod the setup file in any way.

Starrodkirby86

For my old computer, I always used PK-Zip. It had a very small take-up of space, yet it did the job. WinRAR in my opinion is the most optimal service of zipping. I only used 7zip to unzip .smzip files, and even at that I don't use it anymore..

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Blizzard

Don't forget that the format also matters. It's not the same to compress something as zip and something as 7z.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

True, true. This leads me to ponder a bit...what compression unit is the best, space wise? My friend always compresses with WinRAR, but is that really the most optimal compression format? This helps me a lot since I'm a memory stick juggernaut.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Fantasist

It also depends on what kind of files you compress. 7z is the among the most powerful compression formats. RAR is optimal imo, it balances time and space properly, I think. There's a lot more to compression than just the space or time, though.

I tried both archivers on a folder of 96MB (containing bmps, icons, sound files, some exes).

Archiver            Final Size          Time Taken
--------           ----------         -----------
7Zip                   21 MB                1:46 min
WinRAR               26 MB                1:08 min

I've decided what I'm gonna do. Do any of you know about Universal Extractor? I install it all the time anyway, so I'll integrate it. It'll serve the purpose of extracting until I decide to install some software.

Diokatsu

If compression is your goal, use a solid archive when compressing 7z files. 7z is the king of compression

Fantasist

Using solid archiving only helps when the files you compress are similar.

Diokatsu

touche..... I mean you can google it, i suppose..... but im sure that 7z is the best sorry

Fantasist

lol, why sorry? I'll counter with a sorry of my own ^_^'

Diokatsu

lol honestly i just say sorry alot...but i guessim sorry i can find a good compression format... hrrrmmmmm how large is your file?

Fantasist

You mean the folder I tried the compression? 96MB.
After trying 7Zip, I dunno, I need to keep using it for a couple of days. WinRAR seems to be faster, even if it can't compress better than 7z.

Diokatsu

Yea, thats the thing...i

7z is the best yet slowest, Zip is fastest and .Rar is the middle man. actually it's faster and almost as good to be honest. but between 7z and .rar it's really no difference except rar is more common