More realistic character template

Started by JamesTerrano, February 17, 2016, 11:38:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTerrano

I found this via Google. I have it a few months saved in the browser.

I would like this template or another template of realistic characters in RMXP version.
(I don't know who did this, so I don't know if I can use this.)

I'm never ever going to work with the original RMXP character templates again.
I hate to death those little shits, called RMXP sprites.

I'd like to remake my unfinished projects with better and more realistic sprites.
I'll do all the characters by myself, but I need a template, which I will use as a base.
My current RMXP projects:
- AMC's The Walking Dead: RPG Fan-Game
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
My temporarily postponed RMXP projects:
- Pokemon X (lost after the collapse of my pc)
- High School of the Dead
My Canceled RMXP projects:
- Survivors of War
- Legend of the Seeker: Clones of Evil [trailer]

KK20

Zexion did have some kind of WIP sprite that resembled something like this.

IMO, these look disgusting as hell. RMXP charsets over these any day.
Also good luck making an RM game with large charsets. Still haven't seen one to date.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

orochii

The problem with these is that they were made by making some base poses, then rotating parts to produce the rest of the frames. So it looks chopped and distorted. I think I've seen better ones, but I don't remember where.

You can also use Ragnarok Online sprites. They are nice and bigger than RMXP's defaults. Or Disgaea sprites too.

And I'm with KK20. Making characters this big is hard mostly because making one is time consuming, now making the amount you need for a game... It's possible, but you need determination! So cheers with that! I just hope you don't use all your energies in the character sprites, because you will need to make some beautiful sceneries to accompany all that...

And actual gameplay. Cheers!

KK20

I'm mainly referring to the fact that RMXP by default relies on a 32x32 grid. Using these sprites and having them walk on this grid would look ugly (a whole walk cycle animation in the span of what seems like a few inches traveled). Not to mention the default dimensions of 640x480 (without a resolution script) would make it easy to fill up your screen when you have char sprites that are taking up a significant portion of the space.

As long as the game doesn't follow the traditional RMXP settings, it could be done, but I'd still prefer the look of GBA/SNES games over that.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

orochii

Well yeah, that's right. It would need some tweaks to the animation speed or something. Also not because of the 32px step, but because of the size, the vanilla 4 frame animation would look very choppy. It needs at least twice the frames to look fluid. Kind of like in the side animation of this template.

And yeah, these sprites take like half the screen. It could work in a sidescroller though. But that's something else.