Author Topic: [VXA] Copyable buildings script  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Mason Wheeler

• Trained Member
  • LV: 2
    • View Profile
[VXA] Copyable buildings script
« on: April 03, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
Buildings
Authors: Mason Wheeler
Version: 1.0
Type: Copyable buildings script
Key Term: Environment Add-on

Introduction

This is a script I wrote up to make it possible to create dynamic maps by defining custom regions in one map and copying them to another.  The custom regions are known as "buildings", because the basic idea is to make a customizable town, base, or similar, although the script can of course be used for things other than buildings.

It lets you define maps that contain buildings, and define which regions make up each building, and then copy them to your game maps using scripting.  The copying process will include any events located within the defined region.

Features

• Create buildings on one map, then copy them dynamically to another
  • Copies events placed on the buildings
  • Built-in hook for registering copied events
  • New Game_Map#events_for_building_id method to conveniently find all events belonging to a certain building
  • RMX-OS compatible

Screenshots

None for the moment.

Demo

None for the moment

Script

(click to show/hide)

Instructions

Pretty straightforward, just see the documentation at the top of the script.

Compatibility

This script will work with RMX-OS (VXAce version).  Place it after the RMX-OS script, if applicable.

Credits and Thanks

(This is original work)

Author's Notes

Enjoy and report any bugs or suggestions here. :)

License

This is released under the MPL license, which essentially says that you may freely use this script with any project, including commercial projects.  However, if you modify this script, for example to fix bugs or add new features, you are required to publish your modified version under the same license.  (The rest of your project is not affected by this license, only the script itself.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:19:16 AM by KK20 »

Online KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 365
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
Re: [VXA] Copyable buildings script
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 10:08:23 PM »
You need to follow all the guidelines to have this script be moved into the database.

At first I was confused what this script even did. You used the word "regions" which are actually those colored squares with numbers in them (press F7). I then see that all you're doing is copying tile IDs (and events) from one map to another with the use of a script call. Screenshots (or more preferably a demo) would be appreciated.

In its current state, this is helpful for games where there's an empty plot of land that the player can build a specific house on top of, something like rebuilding a destroyed town. As for things like making bases, I'd still prefer a system like in the Pokemon games which would require another script en-tandem with this. Other than that, I don't see what else you can do with this. You should state more ideas.

Also you mentioned it works with RMX-OS for VXA, but no such thing exists yet. You should probably remove that for now until you release that compatibility version (I'm not sure where your current progress is in that. If it's done and you're gonna post it in a couple days, no worries then).

(click to show/hide)
NNID: KK20-CP

Offline Mason Wheeler

• Trained Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »
You need to follow all the guidelines to have this script be moved into the database.
OK, where would I find them?  Searching on the scripts forum for "guidelines" turns up nothing.

At first I was confused what this script even did. You used the word "regions" which are actually those colored squares with numbers in them (press F7). I then see that all you're doing is copying tile IDs (and events) from one map to another with the use of a script call. Screenshots (or more preferably a demo) would be appreciated.
Yeah, not capital-R Regions.  It copies the contents of the map.

This is a WIP and I'm still working on a demo.  I'll have something to post soon enough.

In its current state, this is helpful for games where there's an empty plot of land that the player can build a specific house on top of, something like rebuilding a destroyed town. As for things like making bases, I'd still prefer a system like in the Pokemon games which would require another script en-tandem with this. Other than that, I don't see what else you can do with this. You should state more ideas.

I've never actually played the Pokemon games in question, but the idea here is that you can place premade elements in arbitrary places on a map.  (Actually working out what to place and where is a game-specific piece of logic left to the developer, of course.)

Also you mentioned it works with RMX-OS for VXA, but no such thing exists yet. You should probably remove that for now until you release that compatibility version (I'm not sure where your current progress is in that. If it's done and you're gonna post it in a couple days, no worries then).
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,15373.0.html  It's been posted here for a while now.

Online KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 11:26:54 PM »
Should have said the template, but they are pretty much guidelines to get databased.

Pokemon reference: https://youtu.be/cQxITW6VO-A?t=33s

The VXA compatibility for RMX-OS is too obscure. For now, you should provide a link to that topic unless you plan on getting that databased as well.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mason Wheeler

• Trained Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 12:08:46 AM »
Should have said the template, but they are pretty much guidelines to get databased.

Oh.  I didn't know that there was a formal template.  I just copied the basic format off another post.

Pokemon reference: https://youtu.be/cQxITW6VO-A?t=33s

Yeah, you should be able to build something like that with this.  Or build buildings for a sim, in the style of FarmVille or DragonVale.  Or set up a base like in a strategy game, or possibly even a tower defense game.  This script is intended as basic plumbing, and then you build the game logic on top of it.

The VXA compatibility for RMX-OS is too obscure. For now, you should provide a link to that topic unless you plan on getting that databased as well.
Linked.

Online KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:22:50 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mason Wheeler

• Trained Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:39:23 AM »
Thanks.  Edited to fit the template.

Online KK20

• Master Scripter Fixer
  • Global Moderator
  • Lexima Warrior
  • Bringer of Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 01:20:52 AM »
Fixed a couple things and moved.
Environment Add-on is more suitable than Misc System.

(click to show/hide)