Castlevania Darkness of sorrow

Started by tucows, October 03, 2008, 04:13:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tucows

October 03, 2008, 04:13:10 pm Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:58:38 pm by tucows
Hello people well i started this project when  i saw the blizzard abs script, i wanted to do something that were diferent than most of the games and this is the result, well  its like castlevania but it has some diferences, im working on this as a experiment for my real project, well actually  i didnt include the story in order to not spoil the final release feel free to coment, and give any ideas for improvement and if somoene is interested in help me in converting the maps and sprites to tilset and characters is welcome, actually the game have some small graphics errors hope you dont mind them.

Abaout the story i just going to tell that Soma got separated from Draculas soul but he still have some of the powers, now hes going to destroy dracula but hes a image of his own soul, im just tellign this for notto spoil the story because the story is short youknow asin every castlevania game, and if is possible im going to add story for every character or may not.

You know the character if you have played castlevania dawn or aria of sorrow  plus in the end im going to add some good extras from others castlevanias, these are the following characters that im going to add as unlockables in the final

Soma Cruz
Mina Hakuba
Alucard
Maria
Juste Belmont
Ricther Belmont
Jonathan Morris
Charlote Aulin
Yoko Belnade
Shanoa - when the sprite got released

freatures

About 1 hour of gameplay
Blizzard ABS and adds
Original music and srpites from konami
3 levels, 3 bosses DEMO

Controls

x- Attack
z- Jump
s- use skill
a- use item
q- Defend
enter- confirm
esc- cancel

note
in the second boss room you have to manually jump im going to fix that later

Link

Demo

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZO402MOE

Starrodkirby86

October 03, 2008, 06:45:43 pm #1 Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:08:11 pm by Starrodkirby86
Spoiler, storyrelated: ShowHide
I thought Soma was Dracula, not a separate piece of him or something...

Where does this game go in the Castlevania Sorrow timeline? Dawn or Aria? :P

And this is a really interesting project. I hope to see the clever level design Iga and his team has put in their game incorporated onto your game, and I wonder if the Blizz-ABS script would even work well here.

P.S. Is your name related to the popular downloading site Tucows? o_o

EDIT: I'm going to download the demo and see if it's awesome. Also, I'll edit this for a review. :) If it's over 30 minutes, I'll move it as well.

EDIT2: Well, thanks for having the project unencrypted... :roll:

I noticed this game wasn't originally English. Shed some light on this please? And also, it took me a while to find the controls, along with Soma being quite a jerky individual...I still appreciate the effort put into the whole Castlevania experience, I just wish all that frustration, especially at the beginning were to disappear.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

tucows

October 03, 2008, 09:18:34 pm #2 Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:59:35 pm by tucows
well thanks for playing,

-well about the spoiler yes soma is dracula, im just saying that the story of the game will be that dracula and soma are separated.

Where does this game go in the Castlevania Sorrow timeline? Dawn or Aria?
-is after dawn of sorrow.

I wonder if the Blizz-ABS script would even work well here
-how worked the abs in the game? its ok?

P.S. Is your name related to the popular downloading site Tucows? o_o
-you migth say that but is more related to a pets name

Well, thanks for having the project unencrypted
-to tell the rue i was going to encrypt it but encrypted the cutscenes dint work.

I noticed this game wasn't originally English
-yes i had an rpg maker in spanish, buit i changed to an english version but i havent translated all you know

it took me a while to find the controls
-dindt you read in the post i put the controls there

along with Soma being quite a jerky individual
-what do you mean by that?  is because you just go with soma or what if its that i can do like the system of portrait of ruin but the second character wont attack.

I still appreciate the effort put into the whole Castlevania experience
-thanks

I just wish all that frustration, especially at the beginning were to disappear.
-its that because the gameplay its a bit diferent or because is a bit hard or easy or because the first 2 levels are a bit short

well i appreciate that you read the post and tested my game i tougth that nobody was going to care about this project and if you are able to help me in the project it could be nice specially in the tilset-character part.
or if you have an idea how to improve specially in playabillity or whatever its needed to improve youre welcome cuz do a game alone takes a lot of time.

an by the way how many time took you beat the demo it took me 57 min and you? i hope i can make a game about 6+ hours and youll have to beat the game with every character in order to get all the unlockables

Starrodkirby86

I didn't play the game fully. Time doesn't allow me to do items like that. I only went for the first few maps and then stopped for a bit, unfortunately. I didn't see the controls, I must have ignored them. My apologies for that.

You see, in the original Castlevania games, Soma was really smooth, animation-wise, movement-wise, all that. The game here, he doesn't have that flexibility. Of course, it's RPG Maker...Unfortunately. I don't know anything you can do about that, unless you can find a multiple frame script, but that may cause compatibility problems.

You should add an introduction. Starting at the castle isn't really the greatest thing ever. And instead of message boxes telling what I obtained, you can use pictures. They add up more space, but they'll be flashy and cool. In fact, once you reach a new location you should have pictures (I haven't reached to a new location so if you have done that, oops, my bad).

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

tucows

October 04, 2008, 01:03:35 am #4 Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:56:56 am by tucows
yeah i know about the movement but its hard to do anyting good with just 4 frames, the introduction i will add it later i wrote in the post that story comes later, nad the images for each place, yesi will do that but i just have 2 weeks working on this and of course doing this by myself and with an small amount of time i just havent done a lot of things. :(

edit'

founded a frame script i will test it later an see if works im going to smooth all the character frames

edit'''
hey peple please comment because im doing this cuz im planning to do my real project arpg like this and i want to know what the people think about this kind of gameplay.

Blizzard

Nice game. Here are a few short comments:

- It's a bit ruggish graphically. The player's movement is a bit weird since the sprites seem to be off a bit.
- It's also a bit ruggish technically (i.e. the jumping). But I guess this has to do with the fact that Blizz-ABS wasn't thought for 2D platform games. >.<
- The bosses are too strong. The game is generally a bit too hard. I did 0 damage to the last boss. o.o Of course I hacked the game to be able to play it normally. ._.
- The music is nice and all, but you should find some more tracks. After spending 10 minutes or so playing through a dungeon where the same music is playing the music starts to annoy a bit evene though it's good music.
- You have Blizz-ABS, make use of it. You can make items which you throw around and stuff just like in Konami real games. Also, you can make your enemies smarter. Why not give them a predefined moving route? i.e. Jump forward, attack, jump backward, shoot, etc.
- Other than those couple of flaws I liked it a lot. It was fun to play and the graphics were alright. If you fix those flaws (except the ones you can't, the ones with Blizz-ABS), it would improve the game a lot.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tucows

October 09, 2008, 10:37:35 am #6 Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:58:09 am by tucows
thanks, yes and im working in fix the errors specially the graphics in first prioprity and i will configure the enemys i already knew the freatures of the abs but sincethis demo was done fast with the small time i have i didnt have the time to made the sprites for throwing objetcs thing than im fixing to, and about the enemys bosses, i did beat them how is the game rigth now becasue for beat them you have to buy the weapons in the shop and its just because i wan to make a hard game and about hte music in the original game it just has one track per map i have a lot of tracks and can put them but it will make the game heavier what do you think should i use more than one track per map ah and one final thing even tough im using a frame srcip to improve movements frames it just affect the movement frames but the actions frame and i want to ask you if you or someone can make a small modification to this script or the abs to work with more sprites for the actions . thanks for your opinion. 

Blizzard

While working on my own game, I noticed that when you make the game so it's slightly challenging for yourself, people will have huge problems and find it pretty hard. Use that experience as a guideline.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Galatea

Can Someone repost the game download in filefront?
Haha, i cant download it in megaupload.

Ohhh!, i have a question, these game is a sidescroll???

Starrodkirby86

This is certainly no FileFront link, but it's a SendSpace one. That's acceptable, right? RIGHT? =<

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jjcvv6

And yes, this game is sidescrolling, or platformer-like to the best of Blizz-ABS and RMXP's ability. Honestly it's really interesting to be on that system. tucows should be appreciated for that or something. XD

Galatea

Thx dude! your always there when i need a download  :shy: haha Thx!

omegapirate2000

Quote from: Blizzard on October 09, 2008, 01:48:08 pm
While working on my own game, I noticed that when you make the game so it's slightly challenging for yourself, people will have huge problems and find it pretty hard. Use that experience as a guideline.

Words of the wise right here. I generally try to make my bosses (well, the tougher ones) beatable (by me, atleast) without using any health potions and such, but I give the player a number of opportunities to get them, so they shouldn't have a shortage of them :p
Spoiler: ShowHide

Chaze007

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 90 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

wow pretty old.

I'm downloading this atm ONLY because it's a platform...and I have no clue how to do that even though I've been wanting to. hope it's good.
Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

Blizzard

It's quite ok, but it needs work. That reminds me that I've promised a gravity plugin for Blizz-ABS. >.<