Downtime

Started by Blizzard, December 07, 2008, 10:41:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

*claps slowly*

Great job, guys. You have managed to get the server's CPU usage to 30% by spamming the shoutbox. I don't know how you did it, but I think that I pretty much have an idea since I see more than 600 shouts in the archive even though I told you repeatedly not to spam the shoutbox.

IRC chat exists FOR A REASON. I have disabled the XML refresh feature for the shoutbox. If this incident happens again or if I notice that the shoutbox is being abused like that again, I will disable it completely.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Diokatsu

O.o

Oh shit we broke it...I will do my best to not post repeatedly and for anyone wanting to discuss Myriad, which most of you do, you CAN use the #chaosrp channel to do so! The thread is here

Aqua

*shakes fist*
You dang RPers!!!  >:(

At least it's better now :D

jcsnider

Wow, I didnt know a shoutbox did so much  :^_^': I am glad I dont use it often  ;)

Glad this place is back online, it went down before i posted another topic about my game... :o

DeathLock

Good thing I never use the shoutbox. Lol. ^_^

Diokatsu

Quote from: Aqua on December 07, 2008, 10:54:55 am
*shakes fist*
You dang RPers!!!  >:(

At least it's better now :D

You never go on RP! Don't even give me that :V

Hellfire Dragon

I was wonering what happened when I tryed to get on forum this morning, then when I tried again later I saw that message on the homepage, and third times the charm, the forum is back :D Who knew the shoutbox could get the CPU usage up to 30%, that's alot :uhm:

Punn

Retarded spammers..  :rulez:

Ya killed the forum when I needed the most, why cant ya crash the forum when I'm KO'd or away or something!?

Starrodkirby86

Wow, you guys are so smart discussing Shoutbox stuff. I knew there was a cost for that.  :<_<:

Sometimes I wish this RPG communities aren't filled with people who are so enthralled in D & D like scenarios, stories, and all that stuff. Oh well.

Good thing this forum is back and running. But nevertheless, you guys are just insane. -_-; I'm not going to point out names, :V:.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

winkio

December 07, 2008, 03:53:19 pm #9 Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:59:06 pm by winkio
*looks at the times in the shoutbox.*

six shouts in 10 minutes.  No wonder the server got cpu-greedy.  shoutbox != IRC chat.

I think you all learned your lesson, so I'll just stop here.

And now, everyone is going to be afraid to use the shoutbox.

Blizzard

I don't know how it will be now, but disabling the XML refresh will definitely cut down the CPU usage. But it's probably the best you don't spam it up, either. -_-

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

Blizzard

Yes. It was the refresh feature that would automatically update the shoutbox in your browser if somebody shouted something which was based on XML.