Started by winkio, January 21, 2009, 11:27:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Diokatsu

Lol
I feel like an idiot now that I can't do anything XD

I'll be waving my banner at least ;_;
That sig is still ugly

winkio

@Aqua: I'm sure I'll need an add-on or two.  But again, I have to finish the first part first.

Aqua

Mmm... I could possibly event and maaaybe make some animations too.

Oh and some icons! XD
*is reminded that LB is waiting for 2 icons from me*
Yeah... I should go do those loool

G_G

Hope I can help winkio. I love making custom menu systems but I'm not a master at it.

I love eventing too. I've made a complete custom menu system out of events. That was back in rm2k3 and it was a bit more difficult without Script Call command.

Anyways like I said I hope I can help.

Blizzard

BTW, I'm going to release another Blizz-ABS example game today. Took me a day to make it, but it's not entirely done yet. You'll love it, it's not an RPG. ;)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Cool. 8)

Okay, so for this game, I had a though that I wanted to run by everyone:

What if there was no experience?  In the context of the game, people don't get more powerful by going out and killing rabbits or wild animals: instead, they gain power by wielding more magic.  So the options are:
1) Normal level system (nothing changed from default)
2) Levels based on how much magic you have, not experience.
3) No levels.  Magic gives you the power of wielding it and that's it.

What do people think?

Aqua

I always liked Blizz's Custom Stat Growing System
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=122.0
Of course, you have to make it so it can't be abused. 
ie Healing Crystal where you can constantly spam skill to raise your SP & Int.

If not... Option 2 sounds pretty cool.

winkio

January 25, 2009, 12:35:16 pm #27 Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:01:04 pm by winkio
I want rid of experience altogether.  They really have no point in this game: I can see their use in games where you start out a like a noob teenage fighter and then grow throughout the game to a god-awesome warrior dude.  But in my game, you start out pretty powerful.  And you don't get too much more.  The game is not about training but about completing the objective and following the story.

I like option 2 as well.  I think it keeps it fresh without having to grind or anything stupid like that.

EDIT: Updated the background story.

EDIT2: Ok! finished the storyboard for the intro/tutorial.  Time to start mapping!

EDIT3:  Pretty much done with the intro mapping.  i will need to finish the map later, but that can be done after the intro+tutorial are evented.

Time to start planning add-ons.  I am looking at:

Custom HUD
CMS(Menu system)
Message System

Anybody think there should be anything else to make it look *flashy*?

G_G

Not that I can think of wait wait I got it  I got it! Wait uuhh nope nothing.

Anyways I would love to make the custom menu system for you. Just give me a layout of all the windows and tell me if you would like a new window displaying something. And is this going to be a single character game liks CoSLaL? Or are you introducing the new AI system in it.

winkio

it will have 3-4 characters max.  Probably 4.  I'll work up the idea for the menu sometime soon, and give it to you.

G_G

Cool can't wait! And I'm free for awhile because Mercury's Lute medic4lz hasn't been on and its getting hard to get a hold of him. So as far as I know I'm free!
(I might not even be making this game anymore who knows?)

Blizzard

But CoSLAL EXA will feature not just 1 character. There will be 2 characters, 1 summon and 1 Chaos Drive. :) Yes, I will demonstrate the full usage of Chaos Rage Limit System. I might even throw SDS on top of that and eliminate levels completely. I'll see about that.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Shadonking

January 26, 2009, 09:41:52 am #32 Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:43:05 am by Shadonking
iv got to say with all the ideas and things your planning this sound great and i cant wait to see the end result.

also if you want you can use any of my MIDI files iv posted up, i doubt you will want them but if you do just help yourself

Creator Of Music And Games
Spoiler: ShowHide
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

winkio

January 26, 2009, 05:39:33 pm #33 Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:05:29 pm by winkio
@game_guy: Okay then, I'll let you know when I have it

@Blizz: very nice.  I'm not really going to use anything other than the base BABS with a few minor add-ons, so I was hoping somebody would use them.:)

@Shadon: Thanks.  I probably will try and use as much RTP music as possible, but I may end up using some custom as well.

EDIT: @game_guy: I have decided on an HUD and menu style that will complement each other while being space efficient and flashy on-screen, although it will require some slight animation.  For now, I need you to make a Menu that combines the normal menu and the BABS menu to produce 10 options: 'Item', 'Skill', 'Status', 'Equip', 'Save', 'Hotkeys', 'AI Behavior', 'AI Triggers', 'Options', and 'Quit'.  Everything should be self explanatory: Options will be implemented at a later time, so no need to worry about that yet, just make the option.  'Quit' is pretty much the End Game from the default menu.  Just keep it in the default structure for now, although feel free to remove the Play Time and Step Count Windows to make room (They will not be used.)  I'll post of my idea of the HUD and menu soon, so you can see what the final product will look like:)

Blizzard

In EXA I also want to demonstrate the compatibilty, that's why I will probably add mroe scripts. :)

G_G

The cool thing is I can do that do with a scrolling command window. I've also edited BABS before so it didnt open pre menu.

For now I'll make scrolling command window.

winkio

January 26, 2009, 06:33:59 pm #36 Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:07:59 pm by winkio
err, no need to make it scrolling, because the actual one will not be.  As little customization as possible would be a goal for now, because you will probably have to end up re-doing it later =/

EDIT:  Ok, here are some mock-ups of the HUD and Menu, with explanations:

This is the HUD

The HUD area will display gold and map name
The party status area will only take up as much space as party members (varies length based on party size)
The minimap will be the same as default (with the possible exception of a new autotile)
The hotkey bar will be displayed as is, with numbers above the icons.
All graphics are mock-ups, and are not final.

This is the Menu

As you can see, it fits right on top of the HUD. 
The status windows do not need to be redrawn. 
The HUD window will retain its position and display the same information.
The hotkey bar will now show icons for each menu item (by a rotational effect),
As the player selects a menu item, the menu window is activated (by a drop-down or tab-switching effect) and displays information, and the icon is highlighted.

This is the Windowskin

It looks pretty sleek in some cases, but I still need to tweak it a bit more.
Make sure that all text on it is Dark, unless using a non-white background.

I am planning for the map to be the background.

G_G

Okay so the hud is the status window?

I don't quite understand the layout a whole lot.
Do you really need the command window so wide?

Maybe explain it a little bit more. Sorry for my stupidness,

winkio

yes, the HUD converts to the status window.
The hotkey bar switches to a different set of icons and becomes the command window.
When something is selected on the hotkey bar, the main window (the big square one) appears and displays the necessary stuff.

Did that explain it?

G_G

Oh okay.
One more question before I get to work. So they open the menu with F or whatever the button is then the hotkey turns to the set of icons and whatever you press displays it right?

I think I get it.

Anyways this is going to take a lot of coding. I can make the Input.trigger?(Input::9) for example I can do those.

Well I hope I can do this I'll try this is actually pretty advanced.