NAM's How To: [YOUR PROJECT HERE!]

Started by tSwitch, February 05, 2009, 11:31:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tSwitch

February 05, 2009, 11:31:56 am Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:53:46 pm by NAMKCOR

Hello, greetings, konichiwa, bonjour, hola, blah blah blah.
it is I, NAMKCOR, once again, teaching you how to be AWESOME!

now that we have the introductions out of the way, we can get to the subject at hand.
[YOUR PROJECT HERE!]

This will be a guide on the creation and planning of a game project, including but not limited to: Features, Story, Background, THE WORKS!

Without further ado, let us begin!

---
:rite: NUMBER 1: BLUE SKY YES YES YES! 
Spoiler: ShowHide

beautiful isn't it?  Blue, open, free, limitless...Blue...
EVERYTHING about Blue Sky is YES.
The sky is the limit, as they say.

Just write down ideas, anything good, anything that comes to mind.  there is not a single stupid idea, unless it's the one you DON'T write down!  This is the best way to get ideas for a story, or game, that otherwise you would have never thought of before.  By the time that some ideas start to work together, you'll have a story forming.

YES!

---
:rite: NUMBER 2: The Creative Leash 

Sounds kinky, doesn't it?
The Creative Leash is simple.  Give yourself boundaries, limits, walls to your endless sandbox!

Most artists and designers hate limits, fight against them with all of their might, try their hardest to destroy walls and boundaries.  This, unto itself, is counterproductive.  As then all you focus on is HOW to break them.  This gets you NOWHERE with ANYTHING.

ANIME REFERENCE TIEM!**

look at this image:

now look at this image:

when you looked at the first one, your eyes did this (whether you realize it or not):

when you looked at the second one, your eyes did this:

It's self-explanitory.  it's called FOCUS!

Give your world limits.  A time, geography, laws, etc...  Then think within the world.  Come up with events or people that would actually exist there.  Locations that would actually exist there.  A plot that could actually happen there.  Your world will make much more sense, and the limits will actually ENCOURAGE CREATIVITY, rather than limit it! 

Funny how that paradox works, eh?

**Name the Anime, win a cookie!

---
:rite: NUMBER 3: The rule of EPIC 
(AKA: Biting off more than you can chew.)

With all this yes yes yes yes and creativity, you need to keep in mind what you ACTUALLY CAN PULL OFF!
If a game is too big/long, or far too 'epic', either you'll never finish it, or it will be terrible.

This tip is very simple.  Keep your project small enough story or length-wise, that you ACTUALLY can DO SOMETHING WITH IT!

---
:rite: NUMBER 4: OC means Original Content! 

Well I like Naruto and DBZ and Bleach and Death Note I SHOULD MAKE A CROSSOVER FANGAME KYUUUU~!!!
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! and last but not least NOOOOO!

Fan-games and Fan-fics are one thing, but massive crossover ripoff storyline jumbled fuckfests are another!

There are also less obvious versions of this terrible transgression:
"Hmm...well...it worked in Resident Evil...so if I put it in my game it should work too!"

Your game needs at least SOME shred of originality to it. This tip is subject to interpretation,
and doesn't have any measurable qualities.  Just plain and simple, keep the game YOURS, not Viz Comics'.

---
:rite: NUMBER 5: C-C-C-CLICHE BREAKERRR!!!

Cliches are going to happen, it is UNAVOIDABLE!
However, it is possible to break a cliche like a fragile child. 
And cliche alone is simply a BASE from which you can expand!

Ok, so the main character has an old grandmother..she's white haired, quiet, wrinkly, and walks with a cane.  She wears black...
STOP RIGHT THERE!

This is how cliches happen.

Let's make this more interesting.  Maybe his grandmother isn't so quiet; in fact, she's an ex-Drill Sergant!
She wears knee-length combat boots under her frilly dresses and carries her horse-whip at all times! 
Maybe she likes to tell old war stories all the time, like about her battles in the trenches, or about popping
her cherry with an artillery shell.

Now -that's- interesting.

Spice things up, don't just do the standard recycled story, be different, be unique, that's how you break a cliche!

Note: The Creative Leash STILL APPLIES to Cliche Breaking!

---
:rite: NUMBER 6: What NOT to name your game!

Pretentious Monotony: Cacaphony of the Derelict
Crystal Fantasy Tales 2: The Dragon's Star
AWESOME POSSUM KICKS DOCTOR MACHINO'S BUTT!
Macrophallic Epicaricacy I: Schizothemia

I sure hope you can tell that those are BAD examples of Game Titles.
General Rules to Follow:

1) Don't use the words Eternal, Crystal, Tales, Magic, Fantasy, Dragon, Darkness, Light, Legend, God, Divine, etc...
they've been used SO MANY TIMES it has become absolutely disgusting to see another game named
Fantasy of the Dark Crystal Song.

2) IF IT TAKES LONGER TO PRONOUNCE THE NAME OF YOUR GAME THAN IT DOES TO CLICK ON THE TOPIC, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

3) Don't use Big words in an attempt to sound smart or mysterious.  It just makes you sound like an asshole.

4) Short, sweet, simple is the best.  With some relevance to the game. 
Sometimes Latin works, or Japanese, maybe Spanish.

Just make it sound GOOD.  Don't try to make it sound SMART, and don't use the aforementioned cliche words of RPG-ness.

also: thank Holk of RMRK for oompiling that list of overused game title words,
and offering a guide on game titles (this is a short summary/build off of his post)

---
:rite: NUMBER 7: Feature Creep

OH HEY COOL THAT SCRIPT LOOKS AWESOME, MAYBE IT WILL WORK WITH MY REAL TIME ACTION TACTICAL FRONT VIEW SOUL RAGE BATTLE SYSTEM!

:facepalm:

When you make a game, plan a game, etc... you should come up with a list of features.
Browse around, find something new or interesting, maybe plan to make something yourself, sure, all well and good

OK FREEZE IT RIGHT THERE!
NO MORE NEW FEATURES!

You'll only create bugs, and prolong the game process.  And we all know most people on these sites have the attention span
of a goldfish.  The longer you take, you, or they, will become disinterested, and there goes your game!

Puzzles aren't features, btw.

Edit: as holk brought up so eloquently, this does NOT mean to flood your game with needless features.  The more complex you make your game, the harder the game will be to learn and the less people will want to play it.  Anyone ever heard of EvE online?

I hope this guide helps you along the path to planning a game.
as far as tips for execution go?

DO THE WORK AND FINISH IT ALREADY I WANT TO PLAY SOMETHING GOOD FOR A CHANGE! D:<

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Shadonking

this is very useful namkcor, but its also a good read :haha:

the best bit off advise would be not to have a game called AWESOME POSSUM KICKS DOCTOR MACHINO'S BUTT  :D  :D  :D  :D

Creator Of Music And Games
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Starrodkirby86

February 05, 2009, 05:47:12 pm #2 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:48:55 pm by Starrodkirby86
Let's make this more interesting.  Maybe his grandmother isn't so quiet; in fact, she's an ex-Drill Sergant!
She wears knee-length combat boots under her frilly dresses and carries her horse-whip at all times!
Maybe she likes to tell old war stories all the time, like about her battles in the trenches, or about popping
her cherry with an artillery shell.

That also works for a dominatrix, with the exception of the last bit. :x

It's another great tutorial/whatever that you have created. It fits with its older brother. I can't say you're stating the obvious, but it's possible that you are. Rather, at least this forum has an informational kit like this so ignorant users will finally be enlightened. :3

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Calintz

tSwitch

thanks guys, I figured I'd write another guide, since I can't make a game for someone, to at least help them along the planning and development process.

Fantasist

Short and sweet, excently presented. Good job NAMK :up:
My problem is always with number 2: Focus. I drift off to uncharted territories halfway through serious planning.

Also, I'd like to add something. Making the game itself is a different issue, but even planning involves lot of mental work. If you're not prepared for that, you'll never get far. I had to learn that the hard way, I'm more than a year late for my first demo ._.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

tSwitch

Quote from: Fantasist on February 06, 2009, 06:18:38 am
Short and sweet, excently presented. Good job NAMK :up:
My problem is always with number 2: Focus. I drift off to uncharted territories halfway through serious planning.

I can only tell you what you have to do.  I can't force you to do it :P

Quote from: Fantasist on February 06, 2009, 06:18:38 am
Also, I'd like to add something. Making the game itself is a different issue, but even planning involves lot of mental work. If you're not prepared for that, you'll never get far. I had to learn that the hard way, I'm more than a year late for my first demo ._.

game design is hard work, but it is very fun and rewarding.
if said designer isn't willing to put the work in, then they are better off not starting anything.

Fantasist

QuoteI can only tell you what you have to do.  I can't force you to do it :P

Quote from: From The Matrix"I can only show you the door neo. You have to walk through it."

Quotegame design is hard work, but it is very fun and rewarding.
if said designer isn't willing to put the work in, then they are better off not starting anything.

True. But I really want this done. It's not like I haven't put effort, I constantly think about the game and jot everything down. The problem is focus. It's in my nature (as an INFP) to be "more interested in the big picture than in the details". I'm not justifying myself, mind you.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

tSwitch

Quote from: Fantasist on February 06, 2009, 10:22:12 am
Quotegame design is hard work, but it is very fun and rewarding.

True. But I really want this done. It's not like I haven't put effort, I constantly think about the game and jot everything down. The problem is focus. It's in my nature (as an INFP) to be "more interested in the big picture than in the details". I'm not justifying myself, mind you.

I'm an INTJ

ShadowPierce

->Wow! This is really helpful especially to newbies like me!  :D
Thanks for an awesome guide, this just made me want to start over & make a fresh new RPG... Mine has way too much features...

Thanks again!!! ^^

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

AliveDrive

I smile at parts of these as I am continually reminded of my first few prototypes.

I won't claim to be an expert.

I have a little bit better grasp now though.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.