[XP] Threat System v1.2

Started by Fantasist, July 13, 2009, 12:40:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackolas

since the script works with turns I don't think it will work.

Fantasist

Wait, doesn't the RTAB already have something like this? That's what inspired me to do this in the first place. If it's not in the RTAB by default, look for its addons, I'm sure you'll find it.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Ophiuchus

November 08, 2009, 12:53:19 pm #42 Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:23:11 pm by Ophiuchus
This script is excellent, and I'm definitely going to use it my project, but I have one question:  How difficult would it be to have an actor's threat reset to zero if they are incapacitated?  It sounds like it would be simple, but I'm still on the early side of learning this business.

Edit:  Make that two questions.  What would cause the script to generate ungodly amounts of lag in-battle?  I'm not using any other scripts that alter the battle system, and the threat system works fine for me in the demo.
Edit #2:  It seems it's just the window causing it.  I disabled it and left the next-to-name counter on and it's alright.

Ryex

November 08, 2009, 03:59:52 pm #43 Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:03:26 pm by Ryexander
he probably has the window refreshing every frame I'll look into it for you

EDIT: nope he only has it refreshing if threat has changed, exactly what it is supposed to do
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Ophiuchus

Hmm.  Oh well, I like it better with the counter next to the name anyway, so no harm there.

samsonite789

This script is amazing.  The end.

Fantasist

Quote from: Ryexander on November 08, 2009, 03:59:52 pm
he probably has the window refreshing every frame I'll look into it for you

EDIT: nope he only has it refreshing if threat has changed, exactly what it is supposed to do

Hey, I'd know that by now :P

Quote from: samsonite789 on November 11, 2009, 12:50:30 pm
This script is amazing.  The end.

Thanks for that mate :)
But...

Quote from: Talglys
I'm having a problem with the threat system here. After I implemented it into my game, I cannot force a monster to do a skill. Quite basically, the force action function doesn't work any more. Any suggestions?

I still haven't fixed that problem ._. I haven't even tested it actually. I know, it's bad on my part but he never seems to return and I didn't get around fixing it. Since I'm lazy, please post if it's really an issue and I'll try to fix it.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

samsonite789

Quote from: Fantasist on November 08, 2009, 10:23:31 am
Wait, doesn't the RTAB already have something like this? That's what inspired me to do this in the first place. If it's not in the RTAB by default, look for its addons, I'm sure you'll find it.

I scoured the internet and couldn't find any addons.  I've come to realize that very few things work with RTAB.  Ah, well...

Quote from: Fantasist on November 13, 2009, 01:52:18 pm
Thanks for that mate :)

No, thank you.  This script adds a lot of strategy and depth to battles.

Quote from: Talglys
I'm having a problem with the threat system here. After I implemented it into my game, I cannot force a monster to do a skill. Quite basically, the force action function doesn't work any more. Any suggestions?
Quote from: Fantasist
I still haven't fixed that problem ._. I haven't even tested it actually. I know, it's bad on my part but he never seems to return and I didn't get around fixing it. Since I'm lazy, please post if it's really an issue and I'll try to fix it.

@Fantasist: I, for one, wouldn't mind it at all if you fixed that problem.  But it's your time, your life, your prerogative.  Hooowwweeevvveeerrrr...

@Talglys:  There is a workaround to this problem.  One, I tested the force action command out and it works for actors, but not enemies.  This is good, because enemies can have their action forced another way than the Force Action command, and that is this:

Go to the Enemies tab in the database and enter whatever skill or action you want to force in their skill list and set the conditions to whatever turn you want to force that skill or action on.  Voila - same thing as the force action command.  And, luckily for us, the condition for using that skill can be a switch, so if you want more specific conditions, just make an event page for the troop, set the condition for the event to turn whatever-the-hell, make a conditional branch(es) for whatever special conditions you want to check, and then if those are met throw a switch which is then used as the condition for the monster using that skill.  Ta-da...

Fantasist

You, sir, just earned a levelup, for testing for the problem and coming up with a workaround. *levels up*

About the threat system for the RTAB, I should've mentioned that it's not called that, it's just one of the addons. Try searching for all RTAB addons and read their descriptions. I'm 100% positive because that's where I saw it first.

samsonite789

Quote from: Fantasist on November 14, 2009, 01:56:27 pm
You, sir, just earned a levelup, for testing for the problem and coming up with a workaround. *levels up*

What does that mean?  If it means I get skill points, I put them all in intelligence so I can understand battle systems and how to reprogram RTAB.

Quote from: Fantasist on November 14, 2009, 01:56:27 pm
About the threat system for the RTAB, I should've mentioned that it's not called that, it's just one of the addons. Try searching for all RTAB addons and read their descriptions. I'm 100% positive because that's where I saw it first.

I'm pretty sure I checked them all and didn't find anything like the aggro-esque threat system you made.  I could very well be wrong, but it's beside the point; RTAB is incompatible with a lot of things I want to use on a fundamental level and I don't have the time or patience to try and figure such labyrinthine code out.  So, I just switched to another battle system that works very well with many things. 

Regardless, thanks for the level up!  *heads off to mindlessly kill hordes of orcs*

Tyril132

I took a look at this earlier and I'm finding it very helpful.

Thanks for a fantastic script!
Lv. 7 Writer | Lv. 7 Composer | Lv. 7 Mapper | Lv. 4 Eventer | Lv. 0 Scripter | Lv. 1 Spriter
DSC Project Soundtrack
Personality Index:: ShowHide

Ravenith

Nice surprise - this works with sbs tankentai! ^^

Fantasist

Quote from: Ravenith on April 14, 2010, 09:41:01 am
Nice surprise - this works with sbs tankentai! ^^

Neat, another compatibility problem I don't need to bother about :D
...now, what's SBS Tankentai? It rings a bell, but I can't put my finger on it. Google!

Ravenith

A sideview battle system with notorious incombatibility issues. What I like about it is that you don't need a lot of custom sprites etc - the actor's characterset bashes the enemy with his equipped weapon's icon. Laziness ftw.

Anyway, thanks for the threat script - it's amazing how much design space it offers!

Fantasist

You're welcome, and thanks for using this script :)
Now could you point me to the latest version of SBS Tankentai, please? I'd like to check it out.

The Niche

*Necroposts like the bastard he is*
Did anyone ever make this compatible with Babs?
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

OracleGames

I tought Babs already do that by activating "actions" or "observer" xD.
This only works in a turn based system i think.

The Niche

Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

yuhikaru

October 23, 2010, 01:36:30 pm #58 Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 03:01:49 pm by yuhikaru
First of all, I have no real ruby scripting knowledge, I only know C! So I don't really know what I was doing, but anyway, looks like it worked.

I think I found solution for the force action issue.

First, look for def update_phase4_step2, which should be on line 259 if you don't modify anything from the script.
Then substitute this:

def update_phase4_step2
   @active_battler.make_action if @active_battler.is_a?(Game_Enemy)
   update_phase4_step2_choose_actor_realtime
 end

For this:
def update_phase4_step2
   if $game_temp.forcing_battler == nil # If there is no force action this turn
     @active_battler.make_action if @active_battler.is_a?(Game_Enemy)
   end
   update_phase4_step2_choose_actor_realtime
 end

I tried it on the demo, and looks like it worked. Didn't extensively tested it though...
(On my project, it worked more or less, but probably because it's full of my own noob game_battler/scene_battle modifications...)

So good luck with this xD

EDIT: I just noticed. The force action has to be 'execute now'.

Fenriswolf

I'm sorry for necroposting, but would it be possible to edit this script in such a way,
that it allows certain skills or maybe even any actions from certain bosses to ignore the threat system completely?

For example, skills that incapacitate the enemy would serve better against a damage dealer or healer than the tank.
The same goes for skills that reduce the opponents healing or damage.