A global map "Sources" engine as the backbone to a BGS source script?

Started by Ryex, September 03, 2009, 11:49:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I got the Idea recently to build a global map "Sources" engine (a global observer that adds "sources" upon loading a map and then updates them ( recorded distance to player  and in_range? sutf then takes each "source" type and makes data like which source is closest and that easy accessible)  so the information can  be call globally then calling other update methods at need) and it would work kinda like this
you you want to create a "source" so you add a event to the map and put a special tag in it's name or comments.
then
what I was thinking was that I could create a map sound "sources" script aka a script that plays BGS's at different volumes based on the distance from the source and that script would run off the "Source" engine. the thing that is unique to this idea is that I would create it in such a way that different types of sources could be created and updated in the same engine ie. you could have a shadow and sound script running off the same engine

1) would you use the BGS source script?

if your a scripter...
2) would you uses the engine if it was released?
3) suggestions on the architecture of the engine? (method/class structure)
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

nathmatt

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Ryex

G_G

Ryex

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,20546.0.html
that would be it...
well, even if it has already been made, I think I can make it better. ( my arrogance is showing) and besides it is the ONLY script i've ever seen of its kind.
and the way i plan on doing it the backbone could be used for any kind of source whose effect on the map should change as you get closer to it. aka weather.
that's right you could put a snow source on one end of the map and it would start snowing until it reached a blizzard at the end of the map. would that be cool?
pair it with a sound source with a blizzard sound effect... see where I'm going?
three words

dynamic map effects.

epic.

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.