500X500 City

Started by (Hexamin), February 12, 2010, 06:01:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

(Hexamin)

So I recently introduced a friend to RMXP after workin' on my projects at his place.  He immediately started mapping once he got RMXP up and running.  He's trying to make a 500x500 City.

I've made a 100x100 city before, but that's about as large as I've gone.  Anyway, anyone that's used the program for a bit knows that a 500x500 is impractical in regards to lag'n'such.  I thought his idea was kinda cool though, and it may be something I want to work with later.

Similar to assassin's creed (if I remember correctly), I think it would be kinda cool to have a game take place in just a LARGE city.  No wide open fields that just take time to run through while the pesky enemies you killed at level 7 are now just wasting your time.  No need for a lack of focus due to a huge world.  Just one city, with in depth lore and history and culture.

I dunno, anyone have thoughts on this?  (and before someone says that building a 500x500 is noob... I'd break up the city into districts, and sections, etc., to delag and focus storyline/battles/etc.)
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

Blizzard

500x500 = too large + lag + RAM usage = bad idea
All I have to say. Avoid it like the pest. Tell him to run the game on the 500x500 map (even empty) and he'll see himself why it's bad.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

Oh wow, I wasn't aware of this, Lol.

winkio

What I did when I mapped large areas was make a large 200x200 map in the editor, and then copy paste, shift, and resize to split it up into a bunch of small maps.

C.C. rOyAl

Why not use Blizzard's continuous map script?
Spoiler: ShowHide

(Hexamin)

Quote from: C.C. rOyAl on February 12, 2010, 10:57:21 am
Why not use Blizzard's continuous map script?

Yeah I downloaded the demo of that, that's prolly what i'll end up doing.  I've made continuous maps using events, but his system is a lot smoother.  I'm a big advocate of always being center on the screen in the game.  I don't like it when the character isn't center screened (except for cutscenes).  Anyway, yeah folks.  I play event heavy, so the biggest I'd make a map (especially in a city) would probably be 50x48 (with a 40x40 playability area).  I think a city based game might be fun though.
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

Starrodkirby86

World building is great as long as your story and all makes sense. It gets people immersed into your game, and by god, it can introduce a lot of sequels/prequels. :P

But yes, if you're making a giant map, use Blizzard's Continuous Map script. It's there for a reason. :U

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).