Mono and C#

Started by crzyone9584, February 16, 2010, 08:55:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

crzyone9584

i'm thinking of going open source. Vista is making mad and linux has always been my friend. Has anyone developed anything on linux and or Mac (yes i know mac is not open source) with mono develop? Is it just as powerful as Visual Studio? Any downfalls to Mono vs staying with visual studio and windows?

Blizzard

Definite download of Mono is that it supports only .NET 1.0 (or 1.1). It's a big question if that would even run on Windows, not to talk other OS-es. You should wait until they make Mono for .NET 2.0, then you might have some future there. Generally, the problem is that 1.x and later versions are completely different. Apps made for 1.x don't work with later versions and vice versa.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

crzyone9584

Well their site says it supports 2.0. Then again it says 3.0 for the Iphone/IPad. here info about it says 2.0

http://mono-project.com/What_is_Mono

And 3.0 in the side of the front page of  Mono Develop-

Code completion support for C# 3, code templates, code folding.

Look at side panel

http://monodevelop.com/

Or is C# 3 version 1.0 of the .net framework?

Blizzard

C# 3 was for .NET 2.0 I think.

I remember a few months back a thread where we discussed something similar and I remember that they were working on 2.0. If they support 2.0, you pretty much have a good base. I still prefer VS over Mono for C# since they were made to work together and they work just fine. But if they support 2.0, then you there's nothing to worry. 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 are all backwards compatible with 2.0 so you can make 2.0 apps and it will work just fine. i.e. Blizz-ABS's config app was compiled for 2.0 and I'm running actually 3.5.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

crzyone9584

A quick serch on google does confirm 3.0 uses framework 2.0. So do you think it's a good idea to go open source. I know its actually up to me if i switch or not. But in a few months I'll be getting a mac to start work on apps for the new Ipad.

Blizzard

February 17, 2010, 04:47:31 pm #5 Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:51:42 pm by Blizzard
Some things are better not open source... Most open source stuff pretty much sucks. And on top it has horrible documentation. That's because it's often done by people who don't know how to code properly, people who have no experience, people who are not paid to actually do their job and people who have a superiority complex to think they are smarter than others and think they can do everything better.

But it's your choice. I'm just saying that about 90% of open source stuff is really bad.

crzyone9584

I'd have to tend to agree. Well the problem is i don't want to learn all new syntax and language, when i had a hard enough time to learn what i do know. I was hoping to use mono and mono touch to develop things for the Ipad. but it looks like I'll have to learn c/objective c but such is life.

Blizzard

Nah, you can stick to C++ if you want to make apps for iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad. No need to learn Objective C (ew).
C++ isn't so different from C#. Syntax is very similar, but there are a few fundamental differences.

A tip from somebody with experience: At some point learning another language means just adapting to a slightly different syntax. The way of thinking how to program always stays.

crzyone9584

Well i know vb.net And some very, and i mean some very basic c#. I was just going to use c# because it is alot easier since it was pretty close to vb.net. But if learning c++ works with the apple sdk, then i guess i'll just start learning c++.

fugibo

Quote from: crzyone9584 on February 18, 2010, 10:04:24 am
Well i know vb.net And some very, and i mean some very basic c#. I was just going to use c# because it is alot easier since it was pretty close to vb.net. But if learning c++ works with the apple sdk, then i guess i'll just start learning c++.

The iPhone SDK supports compiling C++, but almost all of the APIs are Objective-C. You'll be able to use basic APIs such as Core Graphics/Core Audio/OpenGL/&c., but that's all.

crzyone9584

Ok so is it better to learn objective c? or to learn c++? If i cant do what i need to do with c++ i guess it would be better to start learning objective c. Anyone have any idea where I should start and any reference to books to read sites to read that have tutorials.

fugibo

Obj-C is very, very, very easy to learn if you already know C, as is C++ (though not as much as Obj-C, in my opinion). I'd suggest that you start by learning C, and then if you still want to learn Obj-C and Apple's APIs you look into GNUStep.

Also, if you want to program for the iPhone note that you'll probably want a Mac, since that's the only officially supported option.

crzyone9584

Quote from: fugibo on February 18, 2010, 04:25:52 pm
Also, if you want to program for the iPhone note that you'll probably want a Mac, since that's the only officially supported option.

Brother in law is working on getting me a mac from his work. He already has on. so i can start to learn on that when im at his place and learn everything else on my windows. So regular c is the way to go first then go to objective c.