[FULL] Eternal Paradise COMPLETE

Started by Ephiam, April 02, 2010, 08:10:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephiam

April 02, 2010, 08:10:59 pm Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:38:41 am by Ephiam

Eons ago, the world and all of its splendors were created by the magnificent and all-powerful being simply known as the "Creator." It wove the threads of life, and upon creating the planet of Tsufanubra, spotted it with its most cherished life-form: man.

Having gifted mankind with all of its blessing and necessities, the Creator simply watched as man forged his own path in life, and over the decades crafted himself in to a race of truly wondrous individuals numbering in the millions.

The Creator, however, grew tired of this creation, and thus gave life to four heavenly Kings to watch over and monitor the world in his stead. One of these Kings, Celes, wanted more than the Creator could ever possibly give her: she wanted its power--the divine power of creation. Upon being rejected of her request, the mighty guardian revolted against her creator and all of his creations, and was tossed from her perch atop the heavens in to a realm of purgatory; an island resting between the earth and heavens, but far enough away from either that they'd taunt her position for all of eternity.

Countless years have passed since that fated day, and now that island prison hanging in purgatory between Heaven and Earth will become the destination for four youths seeking revenge against a murderous man. Their journey, however, may lead them on an adventure that could reshape the very foundation of all that was, and all that could ever be...

Eternal Paradise is a dungeon crawler RPG complete with an epic fantasy story told In Media Res. Borrowing ideas heavily from earlier RPGS, it is void of puzzles of any kind and deals solely with exploration and enemy encounters. Due to this, the game bolsters a hefty challenge suitable only for those who would prefer a more difficult and thought-provoking experience than what may be found in most mainstream games of the same genre.

CHARACTERS

Andrew Ferrence

A young man who grew up in the rural outskirts of the Tsufanubrian capital, Soriiati. Surviving mainly off of what the land gave to him, Andrew rarely made visits to the city. It was on one of his occasional trips there however, that he met the love of his life, Maria Wilde.

Two years after having met one and other, Andrew and Maria had a child together whom they named Evan, after Maria's deceased Grandfather. Sadly, in a tragic twist of horrifying events, Evan passed away. Both Andrew and Maria were left horrified, not because of the nature of their child's death, but because of the cause: a man named Ephiam, who tauntingly flaunted the grim truth that it was he who had killed their child without sound justification.

Enraged to the point of confusion, they both heeded to Ephiam's provocation, and set off on a journey to do exactly what he'd asked them to: find him, and exact revenge for his mindless act of violence.

Maria Wilde (Ferrence)
A city girl for the majority of her life, Maria resided within the grand capital of Soriiati for as long as she can remember. Living with her grandfather until her late teens, Maria fought tooth-and-nail to obtain everything she'd gained to support the both of them.  At the age of 76 however, when Maria was just 19 years old, her Grandfather, Evan Wilde, passed away. Grief-stricken, Maria continued to endure life's ordeals day-by-day until meeting the love of her life, Andrew Ferrence, at a local tavern.

Two years later, Maria bore a child who she named Evan, after her late Grandfather. The child did not live to see his first birthday. Evan tragically died due to unknown cause, however mere days after his death a mysterious man named Ephiam appeared before Maria and Andrew, claiming to be the cause of their son's untimely demise.

Fueled by the flames of revenge, Maria and Andrew set off to find the murderer of their beloved son, swearing to exact vengeance regardless of the cost.

Laura Bishop

The neighborhood witch. Within the rural village of Borez, Laura was known as a practitioner of the dark arts, and was labeled as a "witch" because of it. Although much of Tsufanbura practiced magics of various kinds, Borez remained ignorant towards its everyday use, and shunned those who decided to study and wield the mysterious power.

Laura however was an exception. She was not shunned, nor was she looked down upon and viewed as a monster. Instead she acted as the village's guardian of sorts, protecting them from countless invaders and the relentless onslaught of outside forces. If the people of Borez had ever needed anything at all, they merely sought out Laura in their desperate plea for help of any kind. Part of their kindness stemmed from the fact that Laura had adopted two orphaned children who'd lost their parents to a house-fire, with the other being that she used her magic for the sake of others instead of herself.

Living a calm and relatively dutiful life in Borez with her two adoptive children, Laura had all that she could have ever asked for in life and more.

Then, one fateful day a horrific tragedy struck Borez and shook the small town to its core. A vehicle discovered a short distance from the rural settlement was found filled with brutalized and terribly disfigured remnants of thirty of the town's inhabitants, 25 of which were children. They'd set out earlier that day towards a lake roughly 3 hours away for a vocational "field trip" of sorts, and had not made it even 20 minutes in to their journey before experiencing such brutality. Among the children lost, both of Laura's sons were two of them.

Stricken with grief and disbelief, Laura experienced countless sleepless nights wherein she was haunted by the same vivid dream of a man calling himself "Ephiam." He confessed to her about causing the tragedy that had stolen her children from her, and near begged that she seek him out and exact vengeance for his crimes. During one of these nights the man in her dreams spoke with Laura himself within her home, and confirmed what her dreams had been telling her.

Seeking retribution, Laura later set off to locate Ephiam and avenge the countless children lost in the mindless slaughter.

Alexander Alturne

A young and energetic character who'd lived a wild life within the urban city of Ziazu until his best friend and love interest, Kassandra Shimone, reportedly vanished without a trace. They'd searched high-and-low, far-and-wide, all without any trace of the young woman's whereabouts what-so-ever. She'd truly vanished in to thing air, leaving Alexander distraught and enraged.

Confused and utterly heartbroken for several days after his friend's disappearance, Alexander never relinquished the thought of Kassandra and fought to assure her safe return. One dreary afternoon as he combed the nearby forests searching for her, Alex was approached by a man drab in pitch-black robes claiming to have imprisoned his beloved friend, and that should Alexander wish to see her alive he should seek him out. He left one thing behind, and that was his name: Ephiam.

Since that day, Alexander has departed on a journey to locate Ephiam and return his friend to her home once more.

CREDITS:

GRAPHICS CREDITS:
Jaymonius (Phantasia series)
Final Fantasy
Star Ocean
Treasure of the Rudras
Romancing SaGa
Breath of Fire
RPG Maker RTP
Secret/Legend of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Actraiser 1 and 2
"Tales Of" series.
Kentona (Hero's Realm)
SkieFortress

MUSIC CREDITS:
Final Fantasy
Lost Odyssey
Castlevania
Last Remnant
Chrono Cross
Grandia
Tales Of...
Star Ocean
Valkyrie Profile

STORYLINE AND GENERAL GAME CREATION:
Ephiam (EphiamOricuna)

EDITING/TESTING CREDITS:
ScarymanMEOW
Mary4D
Deckiller
Lance VII
Corfaisus
ummnoms
VideoWizard

Screenshots:

Spoiler: ShowHide

DOWNLOAD
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20535701/Eternal+Paradise.lzh

FONT (If the game has unreadable text, install these in to your Fonts folder) : http://www.gamefront.com/files/20537948/EP+Fonts.zip

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW!!!

+After completing the game, you have the choice to start a "New Game +!" What this is, is a part of the optional content of the game. You can start a new game with your current Levels, equipment, skills, etc. Here is a list of NG+ content:

(7 new chests containing the most powerful version of each weapon type appear scattered throughout the game. If you manage to find all of these chests and defeat the primary 3 optional bosses, the ultimate weapon becomes available.

New character abilities! During New Game+, Andrew, Alexander, and Laura obtain access to a new set of skills to accompany their old.

Even more treasure! A slew of new treasure chests become available, and each contains some very nice items!

Optional bosses! There are 18 Optional Bosses in total to dominate in NG+!

The "Nightmare Gate" becomes available! This is the hardest area in the entire game, and can only be accessed during a New Game ++ after acquiring all of the optional super weapons!

+Using the DEFEND option in battle recovers 100 HP, and 20 MP. Make good use of this, and don't waste your money on too many Ethers!

+A LOT of equipment has special/hidden properties/abilities, thus making them far more unique than they may first appear. Try experimenting a little, and switching things up every now-and-then!

+Certain weapons have the ability to deal extra damage to a specific class of monster. This class is indicated by having (Dino), (Demon), (Human), etc. In their descriptions.

WhiteRose

April 02, 2010, 08:17:26 pm #1 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:55:12 pm by Flower Lady WhiteRose
I just accidentally 116MB of Lzh files. Is this bad?

Seriously, though, you might want to try reducing the file size a little bit in the final version. This aside, this game looks very interesting. Be sure to post the finished version once you complete it!

EDIT: Also, you might want to credit whoever wrote the scripts you use. Unless you wrote them yourself, in which case, props to you.
EDIT2: Whoops, there are no scripts; this is an RPG Maker 2003 game. Sorry, my mistake.

Ganstaquay5000

The title Eternal Paradise really got me interested since after reading the story, the project is heavily focus on darkness, if you know what I mean.

I said to someone else recently to be careful when dealing with stories that revolve around revenge. It's hard to be original when using revenge as a theme for the story. However, I'm interested in how one man affected the intertwining of these four characters. Also, I think it's funny how they ascended to the palace of hell rather than descending.

Come see the revival of a 2 year old project become the next big Rpg game.
Project Destiny Calls
Project: Destiny Calls Youtube Channel

Ephiam

He ha ha ha. Don't worry, I'm definitly going to try and make it the best that it can be. However, I can't guarantee much regarding the file size! It WILL be bigger than it is now, but I`m going to try and take it down as much as I can before I release the full game. Still, I`m trying to make it a quality experience.

I`m taking extra special care with the story. I`m trying to make it as realistic as possible (with the character`s and their reactions) while still allowing the story to have a grand scope and epic scale.

I just finished writing another 10-15 pages  of dialogue for a scene near the end, so I may get to eventing that either tonight or tomorrow. But usually I`ll write the script one day, and event it the next (or the following days).

Tyril132

QuoteHowever, I can't guarantee much regarding the file size! It WILL be bigger than it is now, but I`m going to try and take it down as much as I can before I release the full game.

I assume that a very large chunk of the filesize is due to using a custom soundtrack? What filetype is your music saved as?
Lv. 7 Writer | Lv. 7 Composer | Lv. 7 Mapper | Lv. 4 Eventer | Lv. 0 Scripter | Lv. 1 Spriter
DSC Project Soundtrack
Personality Index:: ShowHide

(Hexamin)

Wow, I really like the non-RTP graphics.  Dunno the exact style because I'm, in fact, a graphics noob, but, good job using something more unique.   :up:
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

Tyril132

Quote from: (Hexamin) on April 03, 2010, 02:45:50 pm
Wow, I really like the non-RTP graphics.  Dunno the exact style because I'm, in fact, a graphics noob, but, good job using something more unique.   :up:

The enemies are sprite rips from Final Fantasy VI. I can't identify the tilesets.

I agree that the aesthetic of the game really comes together; it seems to fit the feel you were going for rather nicely.
Lv. 7 Writer | Lv. 7 Composer | Lv. 7 Mapper | Lv. 4 Eventer | Lv. 0 Scripter | Lv. 1 Spriter
DSC Project Soundtrack

WhiteRose

Quote from: Tyril132 on April 03, 2010, 02:47:54 pm
Quote from: (Hexamin) on April 03, 2010, 02:45:50 pm

The enemies are sprite rips from Final Fantasy VI. I can't identify the tilesets.

I agree that the aesthetic of the game really comes together; it seems to fit the feel you were going for rather nicely.

I might be wrong, but it looks like the charsets are from older Tales games. Still, they seem to be well utilized.

Ephiam

The music is far from custom, instead there are a huge chunk of MP3s in there. It`s just to UP the feel and overall experience. Midis never do it for me, and I can only tolerate using them when I`m working on a RM 2000 game like Dragon Fantasy, or some other NES-styled game. The songs really bring the whole thing together, and give it a great feeling.

The tiles are from various SNES games, while the characters are from Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean. They were ripped (I think) by Jaymonius, the creator of the Phantasia series. The enemies are from FF5-6, with some Rudra thrown in there, too.

Tyril132

QuoteThe music is far from custom, instead there are a huge chunk of MP3s in there. It`s just to UP the feel and overall experience. Midis never do it for me, and I can only tolerate using them when I`m working on a RM 2000 game like Dragon Fantasy, or some other NES-styled game. The songs really bring the whole thing together, and give it a great feeling.

I agree. Actually, the reason I asked is I figured you were probably using mp3s. I'm scoring the entire soundtrack for my project by hand, so space has become kind of a premium concern for me as well. Have you considered changing the format from .mp3 to .ogg? Ogg vorbis files offer lossless compression at a much better ratio than MP3s, and depending on the quality of the mp3s, could radically reduce the filesize of your overall project.

At any rate, your project looks great! I'm looking forward to hearing the release announcement!
DSC Project Soundtrack

Ephiam

Well I don't think they're all that big, actually! They range from 1-to-4 MB each. I used a compression tool to make them that size, but they're far smaller than what they would have been had I not used this program. Also, don't you need a patch for RM2K3 or something to allow it to use .ogg files, or something along those lines?

I'll have to see how big it turns out once I'm finished, and I manage to weed through each folder for the stuff that I'm not using in the project (which is a lot).

Anyway, I'm hoping to release the game by the end of the Month! If not then, then probably by the middle or the end of NEXT Month. This is not factoring in test plays (by my testers) and another run though by myself, however! So it may be even longer.

Ephiam

So I went ahead and made a little seven minute video of Eternal Paradise today. I wanted to show something a little more than just boss fights, so I simply opened FRAPS and hit the record button while I wandered aimlessly for a while.

As said in the video description, the music on the field is subject to change, as I'm experimenting around a bit at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfNHPQJoncs

Calintz

Blizzard

I haven't played it, but it looks quite good. I hope you'll get it done.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ephiam

Updated the opening post!

The game has been completed. Please enjoy. =)

Dweller

Congratulation Ephiam, downloading.

I´ll go on vacation next monday for a week and probably play Eternal Paradise on that hots evenings
Dwellercoc

Ephiam

Excellent! You'll have to get back to me on that with your opinion on the game, if you happen to play it!

Also, I have CHANGED/MODIFIED THE DOWNLOAD LINK. Myself and a friend went through the game and combed through the remaining bugs and small errors that remained, and have finally come to produce this (rather) "COMPLETE" version of the game. None of the errors were game-breaking, but they might be annoying to some people (or easily exploitable) =P

Ephiam

I apologize for bumping this topic, but because it was merely half-way down the page and making another topic seemed rather pointless, I thought this was the best course of action!

Eternal Paradise COMPLETE has now been released to the public! EP: COMPLETE is an entirely re-worked version of Eternal Paradise with a completely rewritten script. This newer version features a much more inviting atmosphere, which includes the removal of annoyances that plagued the original game such as the sudden boss encounters, drawn-out dialogue, dark caves, etc. The game has also been re-balanced, and is all-in-all a MUCH more enjoyable experience. Definitely a game I am proud of, and what the original should have been!

Globock

Download link so down, can someone reupload it, please?

Shek

Been eyeing this game for a while but have been so busy making my own that I haven't played it.

Bought a 6 pack of beers, got a warm blanket, and all day Saturday free.

Let's do dis!!!